Rest Day Necessary?

Options
I started JMBR last month. It's designed with four days of strength, two cardio, and two rest. I'm stretching the program to 6 months and was doing with without a rest day (cardio on that day), which worked out fine for a month.

Now I'm on the next set of strength workouts, which are quite a bit harder for me, and I just started C25K three days a week as my cardio. It's really whipping my butt. I'm debating adding a rest day, but that would throw off the weekly schedule because I need four days for strength and three for running. I'll be doing my first 5K in fall, although I might try one this summer if all goes well.

I'd like to just push through this, but I don't want to burn myself out. I've been more sore and it's harder to do the workouts each day. If I work in a rest day, that would put me on an 8 day cycle. That's okay since I work from home and don't have to work out on certain days, but it just seems a little weird.

Should I just try to push through this a little longer before I work in a rest day, or should I give myself a break? I want to work as hard as possible, but I don't want to wear out my body too quickly.

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Most experts now say athletic performance improves for people who take at least one day a week completely off. Saw a commentator say communist country teams (Olympics) do not do this, & he said he didn't want to think about how much they'd improve if they did. Your body needs a day to recover & rebuild. I think if you'll try it, you'll notice a difference.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and if you feel your progress is going downhill or energy is low, it's time to rest. I haven't tried this yet but I read somewhere that if you measure your resting heart rate every morning and see it increasing, then your body is not getting enough rest.

I was doing strength training (P90X) three days a week and C25K three days a week. I really looked forward to that rest day. But now I started a new running schedule which has me running 4 days a week while still doing P90X. We'll see how it goes - at least the added running day is just a short easy run.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Rest is just as important as the exercise itself.

Take at least 1 full rest day every week. 2 if you feel you need it.
  • cc141
    cc141 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take at least one rest day. Try to run on one of your JMBR strength days and then the two cardio days.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what exercise regiment one is doing a rest day is absolutely necessary. 2-3 days in a week, depending on your level of fitness etc., is ideal.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what exercise regiment one is doing a rest day is absolutely necessary. 2-3 days in a week, depending on your level of fitness etc., is ideal.

I agree with this. The magic happens when you rest.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to work in a rest day, even if it puts me on an 8 week cycle. I'm happy with my progress and don't want to destroy it with injury or burn-out. I keep forgetting that I'm not as young as I used to be (year and a half away from 50), so my body can't take the same abuse that I dished out to it in my youth.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    One day a week at least.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Rest days allow the body to repair and replenish and can help defray over exertion and injuries. And I like em anyway.