How much do you execise in a day?

Options
Given a good day,or your routine.How long do you work out for?What do you do?

I'm doing Insanity and The 30 Day Shred right now.Just wanted to know what everyone does,how many hours a day and how regularly.I want to know how people get it in their schedule and make working out a part of their lives.I know we all live very busy lives.

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Under an hour. I lift and do some Pilates 3 days a week, and Irun 3 days a week, with yoga on two of those days. Once I'm past my 5k and training for my 10k, I'll start to get up to/over an hour on my long run.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Under an hour. I lift and do some Pilates 3 days a week, and Irun 3 days a week, with yoga on two of those days. Once I'm past my 5k and training for my 10k, I'll start to get up to/over an hour on my long run.

I like that it's under an hour.I'm doing just over an hour right now.I like the variety of your workouts.

Edited to finish my sentence.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do 30-50 mins of kettlebells twice a week.

I do 3 short runs of 3-5 miles sometime mon-fri, whenever I fit it in.

Saturdays have been crazy. That has recently beome my long run day.

On Saturday morning, I start w/20 mins of yoga for runners. Then I go to a parent participation ballet class with my 3 year old for 45minutes. Note that I have to walk 1 1/4 miles each way to the train to and from ballet class, which is only a lot because of the rest of my activity. Then I go for my long run, 10 - 13 miles, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. When I get back I roll on the floor with the foam roller for 20 minutes.

Sundays I do some stretching, but that's it.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Half an hour, 3-4 times a week. I do a kickboxing video, but if I feel like changing it up I'll do half an hour on the tredmill (as soon as I get home from work). I would ove to go back to the gym & do curcuits with weights but I'm moving soon so I can't really join.

I also started taking the stairs every morning at work instead of the elevator.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    On a good day, 65 minutes of Zumba. On a time-pressed or feeling icky day, I aim for at least 25-40 minutes. That said, I seem to manage 4-5 days a week.

I need to get back into strength training, too, but the Zumba is toning me up more than expected.
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    30 minutes a day on the ellilptical, and an hour on the weekends of elliptical and running. I usually have one day off, decided at random :p
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    I mix it up, sometimes it's great to have a long endurance day (at weekends) but during the week I tend to workout for around a hour or if I'm doing a shorter workout I aim to really boost the intensity.
    On day's I know I'll be really busy at work or after work I tend to work out first thing, normally 15mins interval training and then say 30 pilates or weights.
    My workouts can be running (mainly), rowing, climbing, elliptical, long walks, weights etc - I tend to try and keep it fresh and work out according to time, the amount of energy I need to burn and the area I want to work.
    Slightly off topic but I find meal planning and work out planning keeps me on track without digging into my work/play time :) annnnd if you are short on time also it sometimes works to spilt the workouts into one early morning (if you can) and one after work..it's not for everyone though!
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I train with weights 4 times a week and that alone is close to two hours not counting cardio 3 times a week for, currently, 175 calories burned. I switched from performing cardio for x amount of time to a specific amount of calories burned to much better results.
  • ac_boubou
    ac_boubou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm training every day. But doing only 30 minutes during the week because I don't have more time. Than saturday and sunday it's at least one hour. I'm doing any type of DVD going from Jillian M. to Billy Blank.... or doing rope, elliptical, circuit training outside, running, I love variety. On w-e, I add some family activity like bicycling, walking, soccer, judo, dancing.....

My Dr told me that it's better to be active every day instead of doing 1 or 2 big training. So that's on what i'm working on!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I typically work out for 60 minutes 3-4x a week. I do weight lifting, spin class and occasionally I take some other classes at the gym (pilates, yoga, kickboxing).
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week I alternate Insanity and running - either way I'm under an hour a day.
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    Monday and Wednesday - 60 minutes Zumba, 30 minutes elliptical, 30 min walk
    Tuesday and Thursday - 60 minutes strength training, 35 minutes Zumba, 30 min walk
    Friday - 60 minutes Zumba or kickboxing, 30 minutes elliptical, 30 min walk
    Saturday - 120 minutes Zumba, 30 - 60 minute walk
    Sunday - 30 - 60 minute walk, 30 minutes strength training

Edit: Reading this ticks me off. I have been exercising like this since the middle of December and have only lost 16 pounds. (I have gained 5 pounds in the last week, so my ticker isn't right.) How are the rest of you only exercising for 30 minutes to an hour a day and losing weight? I think I am broken.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    I do gym machines for an hour 6 days a week. - elliptical, rowing and recumbent bike. I do yoga 1 day a week, 1 1/2 hours. I also do face exercises - yes- every day, pelvic floor and foot, ankle, arch exercises every day. 4 days I do some push ups, some planks, 2kg dumbbells for about 20 mins in all. Also balancing when I remember i.e. in the kitchen when I am cooking the dinner.
    I used to be a physical wreck, almost unable to walk. I am now fit and healthy, with a slightly dodgy knee that stops me running. Never mind.
    I have lost 42 lbs. I am 63. :bigsmile:
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Monday and Wednesday - 60 minutes Zumba, 30 minutes elliptical, 30 min walk
    Tuesday and Thursday - 60 minutes strength training, 35 minutes Zumba, 30 min walk
    Friday - 60 minutes Zumba or kickboxing, 30 minutes elliptical, 30 min walk
    Saturday - 120 minutes Zumba, 30 - 60 minute walk
    Sunday - 30 - 60 minute walk, 30 minutes strength training

Edit: Reading this ticks me off. I have been exercising like this since the middle of December and have only lost 16 pounds. (I have gained 5 pounds in the last week, so my ticker isn't right.) How are the rest of you only exercising for 30 minutes to an hour a day and losing weight? I think I am broken.

I'm sure others will have better advice for you but I recently found that after a two month period of walking 3 hours a day, 20-25K steps a day, and eating on target (1500 calories) and losing nothing that when I had to drop back to 15-20K and was eating more (2000 calories), I suddenly dropped 3 lbs in a week and it's stayed off. I was blown away.

So it might not hurt to take a small break or scale back or up your calories, anything to give your body a bit of a shock.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    About 40 mins 4 days a week

Nutrition is the key
  • rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Half Marathon Training (sub 1:30hr) together with weight training (going to Spain two weeks after race lol)

This is week three of 12 week programme. Each week adds about 4 miles running till June 16th.

Monday 4 mile hill run + 1hr weights Bench Press, Biceps, Pull ups and leg raises.
    Tuesday 6.5 mile tempo run
    Wednesday 3 miles speed training + 1hr weights Shoulder Press, Triceps, Pull ups and leg raises.
    Thursday Easy Run 4 miles
    Friday 1hr weights (see Monday then rotate week about with Wednesday)
    Saturday/Sunday 16 mile run (and one days rest)

To answer your question about how to fit it to your life. I always used to put my weeks training into certain days e,g, Monday had to be hill run and weight, Tuesday a tempo run.This never worked as I would have meetings, be tired or the weather was crap. The last two years I started listing what I am trying to get through in a week and make sure I get it all done. If I'm tired or in a meeting on Monday I might use the rest day or a shorter run, if I'm feeling good I'll do the hill run and weights. If you're motivated you'll not usually leave it till the last minute and rush through the week. You could even try using a two week programme and decide what you want to do from your list day by day (also you're not a failure if you miss one section, just make sure you don't the next time)

All the best

Russ x
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    About an hour. Some days I may do 2 one hour session. And of course, on tennis days I do my normally hour then may play anywhere from 1.5 - 3 hours of tennis.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!I love all the different workouts, everyone making it fit into their day to day lives. You're all amazing!!!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    6 days a week, 60-90 minutes workout's depends if I do my 1 hour Spin class for cardio..Hit each bodypart once a week 16-20 sets per..
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Less than an hour on run days. A little over an hour on strength days.