Bikers NSV!!

Options
I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager and I recently recieved a nice bike from my boyfriend. It's taken me a couple times to get good, like when I was younger, but recently I was able to ride all the way up my street, and I do mean UP the street as it's on a hill.

My other NSV is that I've been working with my youngest daughter, who is 9 and overweight, on ridding her bike. She has a problem with ridding her bike, she leans to the side and her training wheels had to be changed since she leans so far over that she bent the training wheel. Now that we've been working with her and pushing her to ride every chance we get, she's starting to enjoy riding her bike. I can't wait to take the training wheels off and let her try without them and see how she does.

Replies

• quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Spectacular biking NSV :) and it's so good for you too!

Congrats on being able to get your little girl out on her bike too :)

I hope you're both able to enjoy a nice bike ride together. Keep up the great work!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is great!!! My husband and I recently bought bikes too and we love them. We have been going on at least a 15 mile bike ride every chance we get!
  • tanetti
    tanetti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's great!!! Biking is great, and with the family it's so much better.

My unsolicited advice on learning how to ride a bike: take the pedals (and training wheels) off your daughter's bike (they usually just twist off like a screw) and lower the seat so her feet touch the ground while she's sitting. Then have her work ONLY on balance on a slight incline, pushing off with her feet and putting her feet down when she feels she's going to fall. Then when she can coast with confidence, put the pedals back on and she can learn to incorporate those too. We taught our boys in a weekend using this method--a lot less stress (and failure) for everyone than when we were trying the usual tricks. Good luck!
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That's great!!! Biking is great, and with the family it's so much better.

My unsolicited advice on learning how to ride a bike: take the pedals (and training wheels) off your daughter's bike (they usually just twist off like a screw) and lower the seat so her feet touch the ground while she's sitting. Then have her work ONLY on balance on a slight incline, pushing off with her feet and putting her feet down when she feels she's going to fall. Then when she can coast with confidence, put the pedals back on and she can learn to incorporate those too. We taught our boys in a weekend using this method--a lot less stress (and failure) for everyone than when we were trying the usual tricks. Good luck!

Riding is learning how to balance. Have her push herself with her feet and just coast and balance. Both my kids also learned this way.
  • queenprog
    queenprog Posts: 10
    Options
    Love the idea of letting her coast without pedals and training wheels. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until she loses some weight. Our family has an inner ear disorder that makes it hard for us to balance, especially at higher weights. I've been working with her on balancing, balance beam on the sidewalk and such, but it takes more work for her at her current weight. She's 4'3" and 97 lbs. She's supposed to be around 60 lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!