Am I doing too much?

Options
I love working out. I've lost about 17 pounds since January, and I've recenty started weight lifting to get toned and stronger. I have a couple friends who have similar goals, but keep telling me I am doing too much. I work out about 4-5 days a week. This is what I did today - 45 minutes of legs with weights, 1 hour of Cardio Jam, 1 mile run = 2 hour workout, 700 calories. I also eat a good, lean diet.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I have 1 or 2 rest days a week. Honestly, I'd do more if I didn't have a job or a house to run.

Is it too much?

Replies

• WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure was Jam is as a form of cardio; at least I have never heard that term before. The only thing that I see as extra would be that additional 1 mile run. Other than that, overall, your breakdown seems pretty good.
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure was Jam is as a form of cardio; at least I have never heard that term before. The only thing that I see as extra would be that additional 1 mile run. Other than that, overall, your breakdown seems pretty good.

Yes, Cardio jam is and hour long Cardio class. It's awesome. The extra run was because I had 15minutes left of daycare, so I used it up to run with a friend. Thanks for the reply :)
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    bump to follow responses later :)
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No! Not too much! I remember when I was very, very in shape, people would tell me the same thing, and I would think to myself, "Excuse me?! I worked my *kitten* off for this, and you're going to tell me to slow down?!" But I never said anything out loud (though I should have). I don't know what it is, but some people have a hard time acknowledging your progress. Stick with it!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you are exhausting yourself and you aren't injuring yourself due to over training - I don't think you are overdoing anything. I myself do Insanity 6 days a week and weight lift 3-4 days a week = 0 days off unless I really need one due to fatigue. If you have the energy being supported by a great diet, do your thing!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Do you feel good? Are your workouts helping or hurting your progress? Do you get enough rest? Do you feel burnt out?

You see where this is going... it's likely that they're feeling inadequate and thus criticizing your workouts. Tailor your process to you. That's the only thing that matters. If at any point you do start feeling any of the negative things I mentioned, then it's time to reevaluate, and once again, tailor your process to you.
  • osuhmiller
    osuhmiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ask yourself how you feel afterwards. I think you need to limit harder workouts to one per day and have leisure or less strenuous activities like walking etc. The reason for this is you need to let your muscles and body recover some. But again it is really on how you feel and if this working for you and your health has not been affected, Go For It!
  • srsavaria
    Options
    No! Not too much! I remember when I was very, very in shape, people would tell me the same thing, and I would think to myself, "Excuse me?! I worked my *kitten* off for this, and you're going to tell me to slow down?!" But I never said anything out loud (though I should have). I don't know what it is, but some people have a hard time acknowledging your progress. Stick with it!
    THANK YOU! This is how I feel exactly. I don't think they are trying to be nasty about it, but I'm kinda sick of hearing about how I'm 'obsessed' or 'doing way to much' I don't think 2 hours a day 4-5 times a week is too much. Geez. I'm making progress and feeling great. I love the way my body is changing, and its because of my hard work.
  • srsavaria
    Options
    Do you feel good? Are your workouts helping or hurting your progress? Do you get enough rest? Do you feel burnt out?

You see where this is going... it's likely that they're feeling inadequate and thus criticizing your workouts. Tailor your process to you. That's the only thing that matters. If at any point you do start feeling any of the negative things I mentioned, then it's time to reevaluate, and once again, tailor your process to you.

You make good points. This week I've worked out hard 3 days in a row. Tomorrow is my rest day, and I'm definitely feeling like chilling on the couch and letting my body relax. My muscles are sore, and my knees hurt, but I think that is the whole point of a rest day, is to rest (duh) and work your *kitten* off on your non-rest days. Thanks for your response.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    If your energy is good and it makes you happy screw everyone else. With that said make sure you're fueling yourself properly with enough food. I can't do too much cardio ontop of my lift sessions bc it becomes counterproductive for me. Just listen to your body. I hear the term obssessed thrown at me too, I just throw the term lazy back at them...nicely as possible. :)
  • joewtug1
    joewtug1 Posts: 10
    Options
    haters gonna hate. disregard everything acquire aesthetics.
  • kstahlke
    kstahlke Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This ^^^
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    If you feel great then keep going! How i wish i had that much time during the day to workout!!! :smile:
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! This is how I feel exactly. I don't think they are trying to be nasty about it, but I'm kinda sick of hearing about how I'm 'obsessed' or 'doing way to much' I don't think 2 hours a day 4-5 times a week is too much. Geez. I'm making progress and feeling great. I love the way my body is changing, and its because of my hard work.

The word "obsession" is used in bodybuilding primarily by lazy individuals or people that don't have the drive to make a lifestyle change to acquire the body they have always wanted. If you're happy and aren't hurting yourself or others continue doing what you are doing.