Arm toning exercises? (with or without weights)

Options
Hello lovely MFP peeps :smile:

Can anyone recommend some good arm exercises? I want to tone up my upper arms (I'm talking bye bye bingo wings!)

If anyone can suggest some good ones I'd appreciate it - this is a trouble zone for me.

I will get off my butt and look for exercises and youtube clips myself but I just wondered if there's any you guys like.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    planks and pushups-- also great for the abs and core!
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No such things as toning or spot reducing! Go through the hundreds of lifting threads here. You can change the shape of your muscles, but the only way to get leaner arms is to reduce body fat and weight lift.
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    Planks tighten up your core & abs more than your arms and push ups are more for your chest.
    I recommend front and side lateral raises and shoulder press with dumbbells for your shoulders. Bicep curls, hammer curls and 21's with dumbbells for your biceps. To work out your triceps (great for the bingo wing area), I'd do dips, tricep kickbacks and overhead extensions.
    Sorry all of these are using dumbbells, excluding the dips. I hope this helps and have fun doing them. Those arms will tone up and look great if you stick to these exercises in no time. I'd also recommend cardio to reduce body fat! :D
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    Oh and if you're unsure of what any of these exercises are then Google is always the answer! :D
  • StarrySkiesYvaine
    StarrySkiesYvaine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! :) xx
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No spot reduction.

Eat less, move more.

Resistance training AND cardio training.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce, weight training your arms while eating at a calorie deficit will give you the results you are looking for. My favorite arm/shoulder work includes pushups, rows (any variation but I particularly like inverted or hanging), and variations on bench presses.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Squats and Zumba.

If you are trying to get rid of fat around your upper arms, then you need to eat less and exercise more.

It doesn't matter what the exercise is. The eating less is more important, in my experience.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pushups and Chinups.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    push ups will change your life
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    You can get some great toning results without weights, simply by moving your arms. Doing arm circles, lifts, etc. can really help tone the shoulders, upper back and arms. Also, using toning cords is a great way to build up lean muscle tone in your arms! If you search You Tube there are some great helpful videos on there. Good luck!
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pushups and Chinups.

Agreed. You don't need anything else. You can use an assisted machine or resistance bands to make the chinups easier if you can't do them yet, and you can do pushups from your knees if you can't do full ones, so they can be scaled to any skill level and they will give you the best results not only for your arms, but for your core and conditioning as well.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/183169909816616888/

These! With 5 - 8 pound dumbbells!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Push up/chin ups like people say.
    Shoulder presses can be done with free weights at home.
    Arm Circles (with or without weights, really, really, really light weights if going weighted)
    Bicep curls
    Chair dips

Just to name a few.
  • magmama23
    magmama23 Posts: 21
    Options
    bump
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I'd recommend any of the exercises from the book "You Are Your Own Gym". It contains hundreds of bodyweight exercises for every part of your body. And what's even better now is that there is an app that you can get for only $1.99 by the same name "You Are Your Own Gym" that contains pics and videos of all these exercises, and will set up a workout plan for you to follow.

By far the best $1.99 I've ever spent on any app.

And I also want to say I agree with the others who are saying that you're going to have to lower your overall bodyfat to get the "toned" look you seek. If you don't make yourself more lean overall and you start doing a lot of arm training you're just going to have bigger but not necessarily "more toned" arms.