cholesterol

Options
so I have been on MFP for about a month now and have been seeing the pounds coming off, but I have not been paying any attention to my cholesterol levels. I had them checked back in march but didnt get the results til this past weekend and just started paying attention to them today when I saw that my breakfast maxed out my cholesterol goal and then some. any suggestions on how to bring the bad down and the good up without meds

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast? I eat eggs (egg beaters mixed with a piece of lowfat cheese, veges and make an omlet, spray the pan with cooking spray). Lean meats as well. chicken is low in calories, but is the highest in cholesterol. If you are drinking milk, do skim.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    cut back on your meat and at loads of fruit and vegs. But lemme tell you something right now.. What you are doing is right.. If the pounds have been coming off than you are helping your cholesterol. 3 years ago I had high triglycerides which is a big risk factor is high cholesterol. I saw my doc in April and had blood work done and guess what.. Everything was normal.. I said EVERYTHING was normal. This really works, diet and exercise.. You won't need to take a pill.. My doc was amazed... I was amazed.. It's the biggest gift I have ever given myself.. So just keep workin hard..

love and light. xo
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    try taking 2 tbsp ground milled flaxseed with your cereal, yogurt... once a day. I think this comes in capsule form too. I also take fish oil capsules. all my blood lipids are normal now. increase your fiber too, at least 25 - 30 g day...whole grains only. I don't really care for the egg beaters, so when I have an egg, I have Egglands Best. Yes, pricey, but worth it, they have lower cholesterol. all of your cheeses, milks and yogurts might need to be the low fat version. good luck.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    My husband drank one Shakeology a day for 90 days and his cholesterol was 20% lower. It is all natural and has an amazing list of ingredients. I consider it a tool for helping us change our eating habits and it tastes extremely yummy! I can share more info about it with you if you like.
    Risa:drinker:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Yeah when I started my diet back in 07, my cholesterol level was 216 and I was considered borderline....I ate more fruits, veggies, worked out like a fiend on what was the fat smash diet, and 6 months later my cholesterol was down to 148. I haven't checked lately as to where it is now, but exercise and diet played a huge roll in mine coming down.....however, I do know that at times genetics has a part in it too, but if you keep up the good work, you will see results
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    LOTS of veggies, fruit, fiber, lean meats, and most important exercise!

Good luck!
  • sunnyskys
    sunnyskys Posts: 43
    Options
    would love the info about the shake thing please.

drink water with and between meals it really does help.
    Mine went down 10% just by adding water to every meal no diet change and no exercise. so I feel that by eating better and exercising as well I will be able to change my cholesterol levels even more,
    hope this helps.
  • mjandrews83
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. For those that asked my breakfast, which I usually eat after my workout, is a container of greek yogurt with either strawberries or blueberries accompanied by my whey protein shake. I eat small portions of chicken when I have it. Also eat lots of tuna (a single serve pouch a day) usually two or three large oranges and only drink skim milk. Pasta and veggies usually make up dinner. also lots of sobe life water and about 8 or 9 glasses of plain ol' h20

Today though breakfast was two fried whole eggs and fried potatoes
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a couple of videos about Shakeology for those interested. The first is about the product in general and the second is what doctors are saying about it. Please message me and I can help you with info about purchasing it. The cost ends up being about $4 a glass....and much healthier than Starbucks!:drinker:

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/risag?bctid=29768318001

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/risag?bctid=82906800001
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi I understand this cholestrol Issue first hand I have had high numbers for years. Now I use to be a very active softball player. Ate what I wanted to I wasn't over weight and yet I had really High numbers. So I did get mine from bad genes. But I have been on meds for years. & Now I'm over weight and that doesn't help. Also just started getting back into the swing of working out which will help Alot. I just had mine tested earlier this month and OMG my numbers where off the chart. My total was 343 my triglycerides are 826 Which is Way to high. But he put me on Lovaza for that Which is just a omega 3 fatty acid Fish oil but a high dose of it. I will find out in a few months to see if its helping.
    But my point is take a fish oil pill. you can get it OTC Also Eat things which have more Omega3 And No fried foods. No trans fat.
    Eat more Fiber. An if you can't stand the Flaxseed added into your meals they also have a OTC pill of flaxseed as well that would help. Hope my info helps...
  • lrberchielli
    Options
    If you are eating eggs cut back to once a week. Try eating oatmeal (very filling and delicious) if you sprinkle some almonds and raisins on top it is very tasty. Both will help the cholesterol issue. If you cut red meat and chicken down to one time a week and substitute fish you will also see a reduction. Eat lots of fiber -foods high in fiber Sweet potatoes, leafy green veggies (if you aren't a big salad eater go for the fruits if your sugar levels are ok), apricots, any berries, avocado, and beans. good luck
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to counsel people on high cholesterol.
    1. Exercise-literally the best thing you can do. It affects all parts of the panel.
    2. Cut down simple sugars/carbs.
    3. Limit fatty foods like fatty meats. Eggs ARE NOT as big a deal as once thought. Do try to limit your egg yolks but if you can't live without them you will still be fine.
    4. Eat nuts, all kinds but almonds are best.
    5. Flaxseed daily.
    6. Increase your fish intake.
    7. Exercise, exercise exercise (yep, I know it is a repeat).

Losing weight will bring down your cholesterol significantly. Gave the above advice to my husband and he went from high to almost too low in 8 months.