Losing too fast?

I'm 24 years old, 6 ft, and started at 298 lbs. Today I weighed in at 278 lbs and I started eating healthy and light exercise on April 1st. Is this normal for someone who started at 298 lbs? I've also been taking all natural Raspberry Ketones for the past 3 weeks.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    The bigger you are the faster you tend to lose at first. I'd only be worried if it didn't slow down after 3 or 4 weeks to a more "average" speed of about 2 pounds a week or less.
  • yes. most of this is just liquid fat, the process will slow down withing a month or 2 when it comes down to the hardcore fat!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    A lot of that will be water weight, it should even out in the next few weeks. You have a fair amount to lose, so losing that much isn't a huge issue, really, so long as you're not starving yourself or engaging in any other unhealthy habits. Also, if your loss "stalls" in the next few weeks, or you stop losing as much, please don't get discouraged! I see a lot of posts by people who had huge first month numbers like you, then stall for a few weeks as their body evens out panicking about starvation mode and plateaus and "OMG, why am I not losing!?!", just be aware now that that is perfectly normal.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    And no need to bother with the raspberry.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    yes. most of this is just liquid fat, the process will slow down withing a month or 2 when it comes down to the hardcore fat!

Seems legit!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    A) there's no such thing as "liquid fat" to whomever said that.

B) lose the ketones. All they do is make your burps taste like raspberries and drain your wallet.

C) you're losing weight at a faster clip now because you are a long way to goal, and because you're a bigger person. Your rate of loss will slow down over time.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    A) there's no such thing as "liquid fat" to whomever said that.

B) lose the ketones. All they do is make your burps taste like raspberries and drain your wallet.

C) you're losing weight at a faster clip now because you are a long way to goal, and because you're a bigger person. Your rate of loss will slow down over time.

Is there a downside to raspberry flavored burps???? :huh:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    It would take a 2300 calorie deficit each day for that to be a permanent loss of fat and LBM. Is that what you did?
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    This is a really good question, and the answer is complex. I have about the same starting weight and am also losing weight pretty quickly.

Here's an interesting article which might help explain a little about why you're losing weight quickly now:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/406097-why-do-overweight-people-lose-weight-faster/

It's my understanding that the initial rapid weight-loss (what you're currently experiencing) is neither unhealthy nor uncommon. It also is not followed by the dreaded plateau. Instead, you will find yourself sliding from rapid weight loss to a sustainable trajectory of 1-2 pounds per week (unless otherwise specified and monitored by your physician).

My suggestion would be to stick with your calculations that lead to 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week. Some weeks you'll be a little over that and some weeks a little under your goal. It should even out.

Keep close track of your intake (food), output (exercise), and how you feel (I use the Notes functionality extensively). This will help you *objectively* monitor whether you're on a healthy weight-loss trajectory or if you're subjectively feeling one way or another. (Like you *feel* like you're losing too fast or too slow.) With this much weight to lose, it helps to track your detailed information every day in the event you decide to enlist the help of a physician or dietician/nutritionist. You'll be armed with a LOT of information to help adjust your intake/output/goals accordingly.

Best of luck to you!
  • Thank you everyone for your replies. I have not been starving myself. I've been eating 3 healthy meals a day w/ snacks and cut out all soda and processed foods. Mind you I used to eat out almost every day and I work a job at nights that requires me mostly to be in front a computer.
  • Thank you! Great response
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Open your diary. How much are you eating? How much are you exercising? It's not uncommon to lose a bit more than normal in the beginning, but that is quite a bit. I'm not saying you are doing something unhealthy, but without seeing your diary, no one here really has any idea.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    The short answer, for those who can't or don't wish to read the article I posted, is this: When heavier people begin losing weight, it's the result of a greater number and dramatic changes to their lifestyle and physiology. Thinner people already eat less, move more, and have lower BMRs.

1. Heavier people (like me) eat crap food, and lots of it. None of us got heavy by indulging in spinach salads. Replacing just one crap meal (like nachos for dinner) per day with a healthy one (grilled chicken and broccoli) can cut out 1000 calories. This is as opposed to a thinner person where there might only be 200 calorie difference between a crap meal (one slice of pizza) and a healthier one (grilled chicken and broccoli).

2. Heavier people initiating even a little exercise is like your car going from 0mph to 5mph versus 19mph to 20mph. (The latter is obviously hard to detect.)

3. My BMR is 2050 calories. When I lose 100 pounds, it'll drop to 1613 calories. Heavier people have huge engines to keep running, hence all the extra fuel we require for someone our age, height, and gender. Eating a small percentage below that number will result in tremendous changes. Since it's percentage-based, I'm eating 300 fewer calories (15%) as opposed to a leaner person (where 15% = 240 calories).

4. All of the above. When you increase activity, decrease calories, improve the quality of our calories, you get a net faster weight loss.

So, basically, for heavier people, there are more changes and every change has a higher impact.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I did that at the beginning too (for WEEKS - it wasn't just water weight). I freaked and called my doctor. It tapered off and I'm now down to a pound a week weight loss without changing anything, except adjusting calories based on current weight.

The raspberry ketones are doing nothing for you, so stop wasting your money. Buy a good pair of running shoes instead.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    It's not unusual, at all. I dropped 49 lbs in 12 weeks, and about half of that was during the first month. It should slow down/stabilize fairly soon. Just don't get frustrated when it does slow down.
  • ladance_4
    ladance_4 Posts: 6 Member
    Congrats! Yes. I feel as though it is. I am not a doctor or anything, but just from my own research when you you have a big number to lose and completely change your diet and excersie plan, it is quick weight loss at the beginning and then may slow down.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    sounds reasonable to me....if you think about it half of that is probably water weight....when I first started out I dropped 8lbs in less than a week....by cutting out pop....it was just water weight not fat