Oatmeal... that doesn't taste like paste?

Options
HollisGrant
HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
I want to start eating steel cut oats for breakfast... and don't want to add sugar or artificial sugar... so what can I add so it doesn't taste like paste?

Replies

• megdet
    megdet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I add organic honey & blueberries....You can also do bananas, strawberries...basically any fruit :)
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I add some cinnamon, a little bit of almond milk and some banana slices or berries. The almond milk provides a little sweetness as does the fruit.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I make mine with almond milk, the ratio of liquid to oatmeal is 2:1. Fruit is a great add in. Also honey and brown sugar. I also love cinnamon and raisins. If you want absolutely no sweetener, I'd suggest using apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice to keep it from being overly bland. I might mix in a little plain Greek yogurt for an extra protein kick. Also, to give it a more custardy texture and protein, try adding in 1-2 egg whites after it's cooked and you've add in your mix-ins. Stir it really, really well to prevent the eggs from setting. It give the oatmeal a creamier consistency and bulks it up a bit.

I also enjoy a savory oatmeal. Add in some breakfast (turkey) sausage and a bit of maple syrup or raspberry jam for a bit of sweetness, yum!
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a great add in, I usually add bananas or blueberries. I also use cinnamon or honey for extra flavor. Protein powder is also great mixed in. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    cinnamon

mashed bananas are awesome in oatmeal

strawberries
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I want to start eating steel cut oats for breakfast... and don't want to add sugar or artificial sugar... so what can I add so it doesn't taste like paste?

nothing.

it is paste. :grumble:

cardboard and paste.

elmers_paste.gif
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't heat mine. I eat it raw.

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/4 cup grapenut
    1/4 raisins
    1 tbs flaxseed
    Almond milk

I have this almost every morning. I love it!!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Adding sugar would work
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Don't eat oatmeal if you don't like it. I personally hate it.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon takes the taste out of the paste!:laugh: And there are other additions: blackerry , rasberry, peach, blueberry... and more... but cinnamon does it for me:happy: :tongue:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    That is just the consistency it has. If you want to alter the texture, add in fruit or maybe granola. If it is the taste you want to alter, sugar, stevia, cinnamon, apple sauce, etc.

I do oatmeal, protein powder, and cinnamon nearly every morning.
  • HollisGrant
    Options

I do hate oatmeal, with a passion. but I want to ditch the Slim Fast shakes I've been drinking for breakfast (and which fill me up, but are loaded with sugar).
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I use Quaker Quick Oats. I actually do not mind it plain, but I typically add stuff to it.

Things like:

-- A teaspoon or two of PB2 at times
    -- Almond Milk (I always use Almond Milk in mine though)
    -- Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or strawberries)
    -- Raisins
    -- Chopped walnuts or chopped almonds
    -- Cinnamon

You can use any of these above if you want to jazz up your oatmeal.

But I also think if you truly don't like oatmeal, you don't have to eat it.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just by using the steel'cut ones, you'll get rid of the "'paste" texture. Any kind of fruit, spice etc. will get you flavor. If you're not into oatmeal the way its usually prepared in the US, here's a different idea: In Ecuador they make it with juicier fruits cooked down as the liquid (lulo/naranjilla, I haven't seen it here but any fruit would work). The taste is really different (more of a tart fruit) than gringo oatmeal. Pineapple with some cinnamon would be a close substitute for how I had it there. Also, play with the amount of liquid until you get a texture you like, in Ecuador it's almost a drinkable porridge.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    Cinnamon takes the taste out of the paste!:laugh: And there are other additions: blackerry , rasberry, peach, blueberry... and more... but cinnamon does it for me:happy: :tongue:

Hey Antzzz! I'll try some cinnamon today.:wink: I used to dry roast (in a skillet) sesame seeds in place of salt and wonder if those would work on oatmeal, too.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats and putting them into the crock pot overnight with apples, maple syrup (better than white sugar IMHO), cinnamon and vanilla extract.

Simple and I don't have to lift a finger before I've had my coffee.

1886_zpsc7f7d3c6.jpg
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Cooking it with milk and a little cinnamon makes a world of difference. I grew up eating it that way, I tried it with water and I consider that the *kitten* of oatmeal.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I do hate oatmeal, with a passion. but I want to ditch the Slim Fast shakes I've been drinking for breakfast (and which fill me up, but are loaded with sugar).

Why does it have to be oatmeal you switch to? If you hate it, why bother? What about eggs/egg whites, yogurt and fruit, a sandwich, chicken breast, anything you actually enjoy eating? I love to nuke some egg whites into a patty and stick on a whole wheat English muffin or some rye bread with some cheese and/or bacon/turkey sausage. An egg scramble with lots of veggies is awesome as well. lately I've been doing wraps: a wrap with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow cheese spread on and some egg whites, with or without a turkey sausage patty.
  • AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can add honey/ cut up bananas/ cut up apples/ almonds/walnuts/sunflower seeds/ berries.
    My personal favourite is honey and almonds..so lush!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You could try making it with water and salt and adding seeds or chopped nuts for texture. Then if you want it sweeter, add honey or golden syrup. Pinhead oatmeal has more texture than porridge oats, I feel, but it takes longer to cook (the coarser the cut, more so). Also, not cooking it quite as long as you "should" makes it less pasty and more textured.