High Fructose Corn Syrup

Options
amyhoss
amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
I am trying to cut as much HFCS out of my diet as possible. While reviewing ingredient lists, I see some things have corn syrup listed. Is this the same thing? Just as bad? Should I choose sugar as an ingredient over those two ingredients?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No, it's not the same.

High-fructose corn syrup is high in fructose only in relation to plain corn syrup; chemically, it’s very similar to sucrose: about 50/50 glucose and fructose.

Corn syrup is a syrup used mostly in baking that’s virtually all glucose; it’s made by extracting and breaking down starch from corn into separate glucose molecules.

It's just different forms of sugar. Is it just as bad? Depends if you think HFCS is bad to start with. It's just sugar that has been modified, just like every sugar you consume that isn't still apart of the food you are eating, like the fructose in your apple, or your glucose from your corn on the cob. In the end, they are just calories. Like the sugar from your sugar bowl, it has no additional nutritive value beyond the carbohydrates.

It's all sugar. If you are avoiding sugar, then yes, it's just as bad. If you aren't, you don't really have to worry about either.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    go for natural sugar if possible. HFCS is worse than corn syrup, and corn syrup is worse than cane sugar, etc

sugar's not a bad thing, your body needs it, but why not give it the most natural form instead of concoctions made in labs? just my opinion. Obviously folks will come in here and tell you sugar is sugar, just like the corn lobbyist funded commercials you see on tv.

up you you who to believe in the end. do your research and decide what you think is most likely to help you achieve your goals and make you happy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to avoid it, is to eat things that are less processed.

I'm personally just trying to avoid things that have been sweetened, in general. I can't avoid it completely, but I can avoid things that are sweetened unnecessarily.

Sometimes, just comparing two similar products (for example - 2 varieties of cereal) will give you more options in avoiding what you don't want to eat.

ETA - *Waves* Hi Reddy:drinker:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, it's broscience to say sugar = sugar?

You may NOT join my tautology club.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, it's broscience to say sugar = sugar?

You may NOT join my tautology club.

i've edited the offending line. my apologies.