altitude and exercise

Options
Hey all,

I've moved from sea level (Arkansas, USA) to Quito, Ecuador about ~9000 feet I think, and I feel like my body is working ALOT harder to do exercises, but is there a way to log this into my settings or exercise tracker? Running/walking for ~30 makes me feel like I'm about to die. Tips on how to log this? Or how to deal with altitude in general? I'd rather something natural than a pill.

Thanks,

tanmustlose

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi: Your body will get used to higher altitude and lower oxigen in the atmosphere. It just takes time. Take it easy at the beginning.

every time I travel from sea level to a higher altitude ( 6000 ft or above) it takes me at least one day to be able to run again. I just have to minimize my activities.

As for the calories burned, I hope you can acquire a heart rate monitor with calorie counting. I found that is the best way for me to know my workout calories. Theoretical calculations were way of the mark, either too little or too much.

Good luck in your overseas period
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi: Your body will get used to higher altitude and lower oxigen in the atmosphere. It just takes time. Take it easy at the beginning.

every time I travel from sea level to a higher altitude ( 6000 ft or above) it takes me at least one day to be able to run again. I just have to minimize my activities.

As for the calories burned, I hope you can acquire a heart rate monitor with calorie counting. I found that is the best way for me to know my workout calories. Theoretical calculations were way of the mark, either too little or too much.

Good luck in your overseas period

^^^pretty much this. Take enough time to acclimate before really pushing yourself. Last year I went from sea level to 6,400ft and could barely ride my bike around the block, now I'm doing 400miles a month, but it took a good month or so to really get to feeling better.

There is no magic pill to acclimate one to high altitude, it really just takes time for the body to change. Hydration is very important, especially if you're in a dry climate. Rest even moreso. Hold off on pushing yourself for at least a good week or so, then slowly ramp back into it. If you're dieing, drop the pace. It just takes time for your body to physiologically adapt (increased red blood cell production among other things), but once it does you'll be back at it.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    Water, water, water, limit your alcohol and cafine intake and more water. Your body will adapt in time, but in the mean time keeping hydrated helps a lot.
  • tanmustlose
    tanmustlose Posts: 39
    Options
    thanks all!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Take a page out of the Denver nuggets book. They are faster, and better at home because other teams aren't used to the Colorado altitude.

That being said, some teams will typically stay there longer (especially in a playoff series) to get used to the altitude.

Your body will eventually adapt.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I've moved from sea level (Arkansas, USA) to Quito, Ecuador about ~9000 feet I think, and I feel like my body is working ALOT harder to do exercises, but is there a way to log this into my settings or exercise tracker? Running/walking for ~30 makes me feel like I'm about to die. Tips on how to log this? Or how to deal with altitude in general? I'd rather something natural than a pill.

Thanks

tanmustlose

You are not really working harder, even though it feels harder. Chances are you are burning fewer calories at first, because you probably have to work at a lower workload. As others have said, you should eventually adapt.