ARE FAGE 0% YOGURTS REALLY GOOD FOR YOU?

Options
2»

Replies

• dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My breakfast consists of;
    Fage 0% plain
    a quarter of a scoop of protein powder
    berries (whatever one is on sale that week)
    and almonds or a natural granola.

keeps me full until lunch
  • _eli_80
    _eli_80 Posts: 40
    Options
    This is great thank you!!!

(Also if you dont mind me asking.. how long did it take you to see real results?)

When I first started I was on 1550 NET cals (about my BMR), a small amount of exercise (that I ate back as I said), with macros at about 30C/30P/40F. Yes, 40% fat. I lost 1.1lbs a week without fail (maybe +/- 0.2 lbs). I did this for 11 weeks straight, then moved to China and lost some more on my own since counting was pretty impossible. People REALLY started noticing and commenting after I lost 10lbs.

Now I'm back, I started weight lifting with StrongLifts 5x5, gained a few pounds on a short bulk, and now I am cutting again. After summer ends I will do a longer bulk/cut cycle.

What are your goals?

Oh wow thats great!!!

my Goals.. as sad as it currently is i just want to loose about 35-40lbs.. im 168 right now. the heaviest i have ever been! i cant say that ive gotten technical and know my body fat % etc.. all i know is that i hate the body i in.. this is the biggest i have EVER been. Ive tried evry pill every crash diet and even though ive lost ive gained it right back! im only 32 so i need to get healthy.. i dont have kids yet i feel like my body currently looks like ive had 7! its horrible.. i just want to see result, my flaw is that when i dont i move on to something else... and i cant live like that. how long did it take you to actually see results? i wish that i could work out a lot, ut i cant.. i had surgery not that long ago and all i can do is cardio once a week and light.
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    lol yup the plain ones sure are. but the 2% plain does taste better n only comes in 7oz as plain flavor single serve so 150calories for 20gram protein.. whereas the 0% plain only comes in 6oz as plain flavor single serve so 100calories for 18gram protein. but both plain fage total greek yogurts basically have the same amount of casein protein anyway that keeps u feeling fuller longer n at least they only have the 1 ingredient milk plus cultures so ya. i just wish they certified them as rbst free instead of just allnatural u know. anyway they are both a great snack in a pinch but fish is better n healthier than dairy hehe
  • hollyscofield7
    hollyscofield7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet, I didn't like yogurt but really tried to make myself like it. I do like that Oikos that John Stamos does the adds for. But in an effort to further reduce my calorie intake I've cut them out.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just one point about 0% yogurts. For calcium to be absorbed, you must have FAT with it. So eat few nuts, or whatever, if you are having 0%. I buy 0% and 2%. On days when I don't have time to measure and pack freshly roasted nuts, I just grab a 2% one. It is only 30 calories more.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    They are bad. The sugar will literally kill you!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Why care about sugar as long as you stay at a calorie deficit?

I had them as elevensies for a month or two, but they were a tad boring. I've replaced them with almonds.

sugar is actually VERY important when it comes to weight loss, it's not all about calories...

I don't even know the content of it.. but I would say if it's packed with sugar, then no it's not really all that great for you.

If you really want to dig deeper, download Fooducate for any smart phone and it will give you all the facts and controversy regarding ingredients.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Oh wow thats great!!!

my Goals.. as sad as it currently is i just want to loose about 35-40lbs.. im 168 right now. the heaviest i have ever been! i cant say that ive gotten technical and know my body fat % etc.. all i know is that i hate the body i in.. this is the biggest i have EVER been. Ive tried evry pill every crash diet and even though ive lost ive gained it right back! im only 32 so i need to get healthy.. i dont have kids yet i feel like my body currently looks like ive had 7! its horrible.. i just want to see result, my flaw is that when i dont i move on to something else... and i cant live like that. how long did it take you to actually see results? i wish that i could work out a lot, ut i cant.. i had surgery not that long ago and all i can do is cardio once a week and light.

As I said, everyone started noticing at 10lbs lost, which is about when I lost a pant size. I could kinda tell at 5lbs, but 10 was when I could really tell. Take pictures and measurements so that you can see the difference more easily. I didn't do much exercise at all while losing. Basically a 20 minute walk at lunch time, and some longer walks thrown in once a week or so. No gym.

The biggest thing is patience. Pills won't work, too much exercise will burn you out, too low of calories will wither your muscles and just suck, etc. Lose a pound or so a week, and keep at it. One step at a time. Don't even cut your calories all at once, just cut them another 100 cals or so a week until you get to the point that you are losing ~1lb a week comfortably. Lifting will make you much happier with your body in the long run, but plays even more havoc with the scale. Get it into your head that this is NOT a diet, its a lifestyle change. Make small baby steps toward eating better/less and moving more, not huge changes that feel crappy. I didn't give up pizza or wine while losing, I just changed the amounts I was eating, when.

Yes, it will take a while. 6 months or even a year for you to get where you want (I've been at it nearly a year now!), but this is the only way it will last. Otherwise you will be back on here in a year after falling off the wagon of yet another crazy diet, with more fat, less muscle, and less motivation than ever. Getting your head in the right place is the hardest part, but slow and easy does it. Like trading out sugary flavored yogurt for greek yogurt with your own fruit stirred in :flowerforyou:

Good luck!
  • Lind5ay90
    Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    There are a few different kinds of Fage Greek Non-Fat yogurt. The ones to steer clear of are th ones with fruit on the bottom. Those alone have about 17g of sugar. A real healthy treat, and one of my faorite post-workout snacks, is plain Fage Greek with a little bit of honey and some real fruit added in (berries, half a banana, etc.)
    They are really filling and a great cure for a sweet tooth!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt as a treat, like ice cream. I am trying to limit my dairy intake. Great snacks are Hummus (Costco has single serving packages) with cucumbers or zucchini slices, celery and hummus. steamed cold broccoli (make extra at dinner)with sesame oil and memme sauce rocks, oh so yummy. apples and almond butter. use fruit or veggies as your cracker or bread and you can really enjoy your snacks! super thin sliced potatoes (white or sweet or yams) baked in the oven will also work, but they are starchy so limit. smoothies without milk or protein powder are always a good choice. tomatoes with fresh basil and balsamic Vinegar and olive oil - fresh fresh fresh and so good. Trader Joe's boxed soups are luscious and low calorie.

this is great! thank you!

love all these ideas!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I buy the plain 0% greek yogurt and add my own fresh fruit. I think it is much yummier that way! I also use it instead of sour cream. :smile:
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    personally I prefer greek yogurt since it has more protein and less sugar, so I feel full and don't have the guilt that I may had too many carbs or sugar. I get plain and add what I like to it like fresh fruit or just add it to a smoothie. It helps me to not snack as much. my boyfriend tells me it has a lot of sugar so it isn't good, but then again he eats around 10g of sugar in one day so he minimizes his sugar intake by a LOT. so its up to you as to if you want to add this, just make sure it works with your calorie, fat, and sugar intake. It will help a lot to think of it that way so you don't have to worry about eating it when you do :)

btw what kind of greek yogurt do you guys buy? I usually bought the plain oikos, which has 6g of sugar. I'm not sure if thats low or not though