New jogger at 53

2»

Replies

• turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    The main thing I would add is - don't worry about pace. Now is not the time to think about speed. Go slowly enough that you enjoy it. That will keep you running for the long run. You can worry about speed later.

Other things to consider:
    Find a running partner. So great to keep eachother accountable and it makes the run more enjoyable.
    Join a running club or social runs. So fun!
    Enjoy it. It is so fun.
    BIG stick for the dogs!
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    I have never heard anyone else discuss this issue I have: no matter how long/far I eventually am able to cover, I struggle through the 1st mile. I just can't seem to get my breathing in rhythm and my lungs "opened" up enough to breathe as deeply as I need. I have learned to just power through that first mile, and I'm fine. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but wondered if the OP should keep an eye out for this too.

Well living at 9000ft...there is no air here. So I understand. I seem to have more trouble catching my breathe at the end of the run/walk right now.
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    BIG stick for the dogs!

FUNNY!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Congrats on starting the program! I started last month, and I'll admit to skipping ahead. But I'm a speed walker and in pretty good shape. The starting and stopping was really bugging me. Other than that, it's a fabulous program.

Some things I learned:

Dont run on the sidewalk. They're usually cement as opposed to softer asphalt on the road.

Moisture wicking headband, socks and undies (I'm still looking for a decent pair that wont give panty lines) are pretty great to have.

Runner's capris and tops are not only functional, when you're dressed the part, it's easier to become the part.

Great shoes (which you already have).

Don't run every day! You will set yourself up for injury! As much as I long to get outside (we're one of the rare states having a good spring) every day, it's not worth it. I did 3 days in a row last weekend, and my 3rd time out was crap.

Rub a tennis ball on the bottom of your feet and calves for shin splints.

Good luck!