Man kicked off flight for being overweight

BflSaberfan
BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
According to the article the man weighs 340lbs, he was told to get off the plane, was asked if he knew the companies overweight policy (regarding purchasing another seat) - was allowed back on the flight after a 30 minute delay. Southwest offered him $100 for his trouble. He is hiring a lawyer. What exactly would he sue for? Am I missing something?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/24/man-reportedly-kicked-off-southwest-flight-for-being-overweight/?intcmp=obinsite

Replies

• VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    If a person takes up more than 1 seat, they need to pay for more than 1 seat, end of story :drinker:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    If a person takes up more than 1 seat, they need to pay for more than 1 seat, end of story :drinker:

So what if airlines start making seats that are only 10 inches wide? You know, there was a time when flying was a treat and a comfortable experience but as airlines have become more about money and less about quality. Today, they opt for smaller seats to fit more people per flight.

Not saying this guy is in the right but I don't exactly appreciate airlines either. When I come across an airplane that is comfortable, with friendly staff and not a gaudy 1990's piece of crap, I will give them more sympathy.

Yes, I hate flying.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member

So what if airlines start making seats that are only 10 inches wide? You know, there was a time when flying was a treat and a comfortable experience but as airlines have become more about money and less about quality. Today, they opt for smaller seats to fit more people per flight.

Not saying this guy is in the right but I don't exactly appreciate airlines either. When I come across an airplane that is comfortable, with friendly staff and not a gaudy 1990's piece of crap, I will give them more sympathy.

Yes, I hate flying.

I agree with FB. I think the Gov should come up with a standard and the airline carriers should comply. Though I also worked for one of the two major aircraft manufacturers. It is a science for profit the seating on an air craft. It is also a trade secret to each carrier as they have their own configurations. However most of the money is made with cargo not the seating.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member

Yes, I hate flying.

I agree with FB. I think the Gov should come up with a standard and the airline carriers should comply. Though I also worked for one of the two major aircraft manufacturers. It is a science for profit the seating on an air craft. It is also a trade secret to each carrier as they have their own configurations. However most of the money is made with cargo not the seating.
    Totally agree. I don't see what this guy is suing for but at the same time how can the airlines keep shrinking seats. Im 5'4 and 138 lbs. I can barely sit comfortably without upgrading.
  • jonathanharwood
    jonathanharwood Posts: 15 Member
    The guy should use that experience as motivation to lose that weight not sue! The airlines have that policy in place for fully booked planes so the person sitting next to this man would be SAFE. As far as the negative opinions toward this policy: the airline companies have been loosing money for over a decade, those gas prices we complain about in our cars are a million times worse for airline companies. The fact of the matter is: you can hate airlines all you want, but don't complain when they are gone and you don't have the convenience of flying anymore. This is coming from someone who was laid off from an airline company and also from someone who recently had a flight to Vegas that was one of many motivating factors to make me lose this weight! :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Almost two years ago I took a delta flight to NYC. I honestly was praying they would not say anything since I could barely move in the seat. I was 265 pounds. Those seats are completely unrealistic but in some cases people should purchase two But Southwest has been getting chewed on this since the early 2000s.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member

Yes, I hate flying.

More government regulation is clearly the answer
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member

Yes, I hate flying.

More government regulation is clearly the answer

I know that was a sarcastic reply, and most of the time I would agree with you. However in the aspects of safety the GOV regulates automobiles, and other items. Why can they not regulate in the name of safety for airline seats? Not the layout but more what the standard size should be.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    I agree with the opinions on this thread, maybe he is taking action for the embarrassment caused? I would imagine its a pretty humiliating experience to be asked to leave the plane only to be allowed back on if he bought another seat, I don't think I would want to get back on personally but I don't know the real situation that occurred.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    I think there could be a safety issue too, like suppose there were many 300+ lb passengers getting on the same flight and the plane is rated for X number of people at an average weight of X.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    The weight of a passenger has been calculated to be 150 pounds. There are CG (center of gravity) limits and weight limits on aircraft. Being out of limit could cause the aircraft not to take off, not to reach altitude, to crash, etc.

Been working in aviation for 8 years.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    It's embarrassing to be sure -- I had to purchase 2 seats for my ex when she came to visit me.

However, I agree with both sides. I do wish that airlines would focus more on passenger comfort (i.e. charging just a bit more money per seat and actually giving some SPACE), instead of trying to cram people in like chattel just so they can make more money per flight.

And yet, if I were in the position of having to buy 2 seats every time I flew somewhere... I would re-think where my life (and my health) was headed. It was humiliating, every time I was denied a seat on a rollercoaster for being too obese... I am never going through something like that again!!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    The weight of a passenger has been calculated to be 150 pounds. There are CG (center of gravity) limits and weight limits on aircraft. Being out of limit could cause the aircraft not to take off, not to reach altitude, to crash, etc.

yesterday I watched a video of a cargo plane crash and explode seconds after take off. The cargo in the back shifted during takeoff, plane stalled, 7 soldiers died. This happened recently.

The passenger weight thing is a bit different.....but if you are huge then suck it up and foot the bill. 2 seats. I propose that airline staff be trained in profiling and size judging and then use their discretion at the ticketing counter to kick off overly large people or make them pay :bigsmile:
    It's embarrassing to be sure -- I had to purchase 2 seats for my ex when she came to visit me.

However, I agree with both sides. I do wish that airlines would focus more on passenger comfort (i.e. charging just a bit more money per seat and actually giving some SPACE), instead of trying to cram people in like chattel just so they can make more money per flight.

And yet, if I were in the position of having to buy 2 seats every time I flew somewhere... I would re-think where my life (and my health) was headed. It was humiliating, every time I was denied a seat on a rollercoaster for being too obese... I am never going through something like that again!!!

A few airlines have upgraded economy seats. Basically coach withe extra legroom for 10-30% more. Good deal. I usually get them when I can. I wish I could get wider seats though.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    you can sue for anything whether its right or wrong is irrelevant. If his lawyers are good enough and can convince the court he was discriminated against then he stands to get a nice wad of cash...I'm jealous.
  • VeganSurfer

So what if airlines start making seats that are only 10 inches wide?

• VeganSurfer
    Maybe carriers in the US are different but the carriers that I have used (British Airways, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Malaysia Airlines) to name but a few, have always had ample room (*kitten* room especially).
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member

yesterday I watched a video of a cargo plane crash and explode seconds after take off. The cargo in the back shifted during takeoff, plane stalled, 7 soldiers died. This happened recently.

The passenger weight thing is a bit different.....but if you are huge then suck it up and foot the bill. 2 seats. I propose that airline staff be trained in profiling and size judging and then use their discretion at the ticketing counter to kick off overly large people or make them pay :bigsmile:
    I had to endure hours of watching videos of plane crashes during my schooling.

Sooner or later it will come down to passengers being weighed prior to purchasing a ticket or boarding the aircraft, and having to pay a "premium" for their weight.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    I wish we were charged by weight.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member

Yes, I hate flying.
    Then that's not the airlines problem that he is 3 times larger than the average human ... even certain Bodybuilders need 2 seats

ppl be thinking airlines are fat racists here