Calculating calorie count

Options
Sometimes I don't know how to compute the calories in food. For example, I had a 4 inch duck ham with pickled vegetables on rice bread sub. How do I figure out the calories?

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    One piece at a time, I guess. Figure the calories of the duck ham (how much did it weigh?), then the pickled vegetables (what veggies and how much did they weigh?), and what did the label on the rice bread say? Put them all into the diary and create a meal out of it.
  • barbaraellengarcia
    Options
    I bought it from a vendor, so have no information.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Look up rice bread and pick the one with "in-the middle" calories. One will usually be stupid low, one stupid high, and a few in some sort of middle range. Pick one. Do the same with duck and the veggies. Its a guestimate but so is everything. Make sure you include any condiments or oil that you suspect was on it.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    when I can't double check, I pick the closest item on mfp, but I log the one with the most calories just to be safe.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Good advice. This is why I stay away from restaurant foods as much as possible unless they are listed. Too easy for me to go over.
  • barbaraellengarcia
    Options
    Thanks