Whats a good protein bar??

Options

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love my Special K Protein Meal Bars - particularly the chocolate peanut butter ones.

Don't mean to crash the party, but those bars are a perfect example of the terrible nutritive value of most protein bars. Trans fat, 15 grams of added sugar including high fructose corn syrup, tons of processed chemicals and preservatives and junk . . . Why would anyone eat that? Awful for you.

Some folk are not all into the au naturale diet and like the taste these kind of foods offer. I am no nutritionist but I would guess they are healthier than a double quarter pounder!!!

anything is better than grease! lo!!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I love my Special K Protein Meal Bars - particularly the chocolate peanut butter ones.

Don't mean to crash the party, but those bars are a perfect example of the terrible nutritive value of most protein bars. Trans fat, 15 grams of added sugar including high fructose corn syrup, tons of processed chemicals and preservatives and junk . . . Why would anyone eat that? Awful for you.

Some folk are not all into the au naturale diet and like the taste these kind of foods offer. I am no nutritionist but I would guess they are healthier than a double quarter pounder!!!
    ^^This^^ I may not be perfect, but they fit the bill for me and I answered the question that was asked. Oh, and there are NO trans fats in them, btw....look at the nutrient label again....you may be thinking of another Special K bar, rather than the protein meal bars?

In any case, they are yummy and she asked. *shrug* Your choice vs my choice.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't normally buy them but I did come across them when I had a discount voucher (always helps).
    http://www.realnutritionco.com/
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love Zone Double Dark Chocolate Nutrition Bars. 190 cals, 12 grams of protein, I think 22 grams of carbs and 13 grams of sugar. That seems a little high for the carbs and sugar but I had to learn not to eat them as snacks but pre/post workout meals. Sometimes, when I can't stand it anymore I go back to my old habit of smothering one with peanut butter and having it as a snack (shhhh).
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've heard only bad things about protein bars in general. If it's not the sugar or carb content, it's the amount of processed ingredients used to make them, and they rarely keep you as full as you'd like to.
    I had a nutritionist break it down for me when I proudly told her one of my "healthy snacks" was Fiber One protein bars. They advertise to be low in calories, but lack the nutrients you need to keep you full and energized.

I think the previous poster's idea to use the powder to bake your own is genius. What a fun project, and way to keep the ingredients clean. My nutritionist also suggested mixing the powder into other foods in order to make a more well balanced meal (i.e., oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder gets you your carbs, fiber, dairy, and protein that you need in one meal).

The bars are super convenient, no doubt, but nutritionally you're better off without them. Hope this helps!
  • susansien
    susansien Posts: 1
    Options
    POWER CRUNCH!! Least sugar, 10 gm of carbo and 14 gm of protein. Tastes like wafer. Its awesome!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    chicken and tuna and halibut and cottage cheese and lean beef and eggs and pumpkin seeds
  • rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Make your own as flapjack.

Use your protein shake, egg whites, no fat sugar, raisins, oats, honey...whack it in oven and bob's your uncle.

I make mine with the kids...although they make theirs with choc chips, butter etc the good ol' fashion traditional way.

Ta

Russ
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've heard only bad things about protein bars in general. If it's not the sugar or carb content, it's the amount of processed ingredients used to make them, and they rarely keep you as full as you'd like to.
    I had a nutritionist break it down for me when I proudly told her one of my "healthy snacks" was Fiber One protein bars. They advertise to be low in calories, but lack the nutrients you need to keep you full and energized.
    As someone who eats Fiber One protein bars, I'll agree with your nutritionist. They're nothing but junk food, disguised as a healthy snack and they really offer a very small amount of protein (I treat them like a candy bar/treat). But with that said, there are plenty of good choices made by Clif, EAS, etc. if you're looking for a good protein supplement.
  • kapot
    kapot Posts: 53
    Options
    bump

JSB9p1.png
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    no fat sugar,

as opposed to the full fat sugar?
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use Rise Protein Bar-Almond Honey. It only has three ingredients and has 20 grams of protein. A little high with carbs (20g), and sugar (13g), but I eat them rarely as a meal replacement on the run, or as dessert. I get them on Amazon.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

You don't need to be "into the au naturale diet" to make a wise decision to avoid things like trans fats that are PROVEN to be harmful. It isn't black and white.
  • Rilke
    Options

^^This^^ I may not be perfect, but they fit the bill for me and I answered the question that was asked. Oh, and there are NO trans fats in them, btw....look at the nutrient label again....you may be thinking of another Special K bar, rather than the protein meal bars?

In any case, they are yummy and she asked. *shrug* Your choice vs my choice.

They do have trans fat. There is a loophole in the labeling laws that allow serving sizes with less than half a gram of trans fat to be labeled as "0". Read the ingredients. If there is partially hydrogenated oil in there, that means trans fat. If it's in the first five ingredients, it's probably very nearly half a gram . . . just enough under that the loophole applies.

Do your research, and don't fall for tricks.
  • rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    no fat sugar,

as opposed to the full fat sugar?

Lol yes it's quite new you must have heard of it? It's a pinky-green and tastes of summer fruits;) You know what I meant!
  • Rilke
    Options
    Luna bars are organic and for women, there are protein bars, fiber bars and I think meal replacer/snack bars for all right areound 170/190 calories. I like the snack bars and the protein ones.

Luna bars are not organic.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are organic and for women, there are protein bars, fiber bars and I think meal replacer/snack bars for all right areound 170/190 calories. I like the snack bars and the protein ones.

Luna bars are not organic.
    70% organic, but who's counting............

Ingredients: LunaPro ® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Organic Rice Flour], Organic Toasted Oats [Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup], Organic Soy Flour, Organic Flaxmeal), Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Blueberry Fruit Topping (Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Inulin, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Apple Powder, Glycerin, Organic Blueberry Juice Concentrate, Organic Corn Starch, Water, Organic Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Tapioca Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Organic Blueberry Flavor, Pectin, Organic Soy Lecithin, Red Cabbage Extract for Color), Coating (Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Soy Lecithin, Organic Vanilla), Inulin (Chicory Extract), Organic Almonds, Organic Soy Butter (Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soybean Oil, Salt), Organic Oat Syrup Solids, Dried Blueberries (Blueberries, Apple Juice Concentrate), Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Citric Acid.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    They do have trans fat. There is a loophole in the labeling laws that allow serving sizes with less than half a gram of trans fat to be labeled as "0". Read the ingredients. If there is partially hydrogenated oil in there, that means trans fat. If it's in the first five ingredients, it's probably very nearly half a gram . . . just enough under that the loophole applies.

Do your research, and don't fall for tricks.
    *nods* I can allow how I may have been "duped" by that, okay. But it probably won't stop me from eating them. Again, they're yummy.
  • pipeopi
    pipeopi Posts: 1
    Options
    Think Thin Protein Bars

230 cals
    20g protein
    0g sugar
    26g carbs

Gluten Free & Yummy :]
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have taken what everyone has said into consideration!! Thanks for the much needed help =)