What do you eat before and after a work out?

Options
I usually workout in the mid afternoon for about an hour, doing cardio and weights/toning. I am always so hungry after my workout. Just curious on what is the best thing to eat before going to the gym and after. I usually eat dinner a couple hours after my workout and lunch around an hour before. Any advice would be appreciated.................

Replies

• EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your pre-workout meal is going to depend mostly on what your energy needs are during your workout, including how you normally feel, how long you work out for, and how far in advance of your workout you plan to eat it. MOST people probably don't NEED to eat anything special pre-workout. If you are working out intensely for more than 1 hour, if you find yourself regularally feeling hungry or extra tired during your workout, or it falls close to a regular meal time anyway- then those are all good reasons to consider a pre-workout meal. If you are eating close to workout (2 hours or less before) you will want to eat a good deal of carbs since your body process and use them the qucikest for energy. And I always recommend a bit of protein at every meal. A good small pre-workout snack might be a banana or apple w/ peanut butter, a good "meal" might be a sandwhich or a salad with lots of various veggies.

A post-workout meal should be a good combination of carbs and protein (the more intensity you lift with, the more protein you'll want to repair your muscles.) A Whey protein + fruit shake or a meal of lean meat + non-starch veggies are idea.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    before workouts is a brown rice cake or piece of ezekiel bread with some natural almond butter or sometimes an apple

after workout its protein drink or protein bar (whey protein) and a drink with bcaa powder added
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit or a cliff bar along with my PWO. Then afterwards I down my protein shake.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you are really hungry after working out, push your lunch until after working out. That's how I work around that.

I eat breakfast, a snack (banana and protein bar), work out then have lunch with a protein shake, snack soon before going home then go home and have dinner a few hours later. I eat every 3-4 hours.

When I work out after work, I tend to have an extra snack during the day to give me some energy to work out after work. Then I work out, have a protein shake on the way home then I eat dinner when I get home.

You have to shift around your meal times in order to accommodate your working out schedule. Always make it so you are eating every few hours.
  • ericasturn
    ericasturn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice I will have to rework the times of my meals or add a quick snack in before!!