Being realistic about starvation level.

Options
I've been on this site for over 7 months now and have truly been enjoying my new lifestyle and the weight loss that comes with it. I feel as if I have a good understanding of weight loss, health, and nutrition. I know that I'm making much smarter choices when it comes to food than I ever have before.

But something keeps irking me slightly. We hear constantly about the 1,200 daily minimum to avoid so called starvation level. And to some extent it makes sense in my mind. But realistically I feel that if my body were truly starving and my entire metabolic states were being altered as a result of this starvation I'd know it. I'd feel hungry!

I think sometimes people obsess over the numbers/calories too much. I understand that it really is important but one day of eating 1,100 calories isn't going to throw one's entire system that far off whack! By the same token, one day of overeating by 200 calories isn't going to kill somebody.

The true point here is that I feel that if my body truly needed more food/energy than I was providing it, I think it would let me know. I've been struggling to eat those 1,200 calories lately. And honestly logging in at 8pm to see that I still have 300-400 calories left to eat somewhat encourages me to binge on junk.

Maybe I'm off my rocker?

Replies

• seymone
    seymone Posts: 6
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. According to another site, due to my activity level, I need to eat 2300 calories a day. Sometimes I feel like I am forcing myself to eat because most times I am not hungry.
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    I can so relate. At the end of the day when I have calories left I think, "mmm, I can eat ice cream!" or "That frozen pizza would be soooo yummy" When we all know that's a bad idea, expecially right before bed.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also, something to consider, when dieting, people are good at convincing themselves that they aren't hungry. Especially when getting in a lot of exercise...your body often feels satisfied. It's so much a mind over matter thing though. You just really need to be careful, because I know tooooooooo many people that went from being overweight to anorexic...of course, that not being the intention. I would go with the experts on what a healthy calorie minimum is.

Just in my opinion, and in sincere concern for your health and well being!

Be well...
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I generally only eat when I'm hungry... If I get full I don't finish my meal... and if I'm starving I will eat more to satisfy it. I agree... going over or under every so often is not going to kill you. It's a lifestyle not a crash diet! :)
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree, but to make sure you get those calories in and are not struggling at night to get them in your body.....try planning out your day the night before. For example if you know that you're going to burn about 300 calories from working out tomorrow then mentally (or you can just go ahead and add them into your exercise diary) think that you need to get in at least 150 of those if you're trying to eat back half of your exercise calories. I plan the day before what i'm going to eat the next day so I can know that i will have the calories eaten that I feel like I need. Plus it leaves you accountable to definitely exercise :) Just an idea! But I understand because sometimes you're just not hungry....
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    1200 is a ballpark. It varies depending on someones height and the weight they are at.
    That being said, you are absolutely right. One day of 1100 calories and another of 1400 isn't going to hurt someone. Neither does a day of religious fasting (where they eat 0 calories). It's the long term habits that will make the bigger difference, based on the tons of diet and nutrition books that I've read over the years.
    God bless,
    Karen
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: my biggest focus has been assuring that whatever I eat is nutritionally dense so no matter what the calorie number, the nutrition is high.....that means that no matter how many calories I have available, I won't be eating pizza, ice cream, Oreo cookies or anything like that, Lots of exercise allows me some peanut butter or a bigger piece of broiled chicken or more tomatoes in my salad........there's more to the formula than just calories.
  • mianpian
    mianpian Posts: 7
    Options
    i know what you mean. some days i'm hungier than others and others i'm stuffed at 900 cal! my sister is a dietician and completely freaked out when i told her that some days i only eat 900 cals. so now i try to get the last couple hundred in... by eating some fruit or whatever.

i know it has a lot to do with the types of food i eat during the day. if i eat lots of filling foods, with fiber or protein or whatever, sometimes they're also low cal and i am full but maybe a bit below.

& some days i have the "i wanna stuff my face full of _______________ [insert pizza, ice cream, tacos....]" :drinker:

but keep up the good work! i don't see a problem with finding a balance- some days you just can't help what comes up and need to eat on the run or eat late. it happens, its life!!
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    Options
    One day of 1100 calories and another of 1400 isn't going to hurt someone.

It's called "zig-zagging" and no, there is nothing at all wrong with it as long as you're making good food choices.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I kept thinking that too. I was on 1200 and kept saying, "I'm not hungry, why should I eat more?" when I was told to go up to 1400. Then once I went to 1400...I realized how much more satisfied I was, and I got hungrier...because I was eating more. I'm hungry right now but I won't have my snack until 3 because I have them timed out, so 10 more minutes.

Let me just say something about appetite, also: Appetite and your metabolism are increased both when you eat and exercise. So the more you eat and the more you exercise, the more you will be hungry, and the more weigh you will lose (provided, you are staying within your deficit and eating healthfully - I'm not saying necessarily the MORE you eat, but the more frequently you eat). This is why athletes have to eat so much. 1) They're burning a ton of calories, 2) They're working out FREQUENTLY.

Remember the whole thing about Michael Phelps having to eat 80,000 calories in a day JUST to MAINTAIN? So once you get eating regularly, you will get hungry. I found this just from going up to 1400.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posts here and I try to get to 1200 calories, sometimes, ok , most days I don't get there. I am not trying to starve myself, but after failing so many times to lose weight and keep it off i think I found 'my way"

7 weeks ago after a Dr exam and lots of bloodwork, i was put on a low fat, low cholesterol , low salt diet..hmm doesnt leave lots there to eat from the way I used to eat.

So I slowly adjusted, read 10 pages of info Dr gave me and I adapted to a 'diet' that I can actually live with. Its been 7 weeks, 18lbs gone and I really am doing good :) I have not fallen off the wagon one time :):) U have to understand, for me, thats a BIG accomplishment.
    My breakfasts are usually the same most days, lunch is a little light something IF I am hungry and then dinner is always something sensible, low fat etc etc..I haven't had my nice thick med rare steak with loaded baked potato :) Do I miss it, YES!!! Am I living without it, YES!!!
    I think it finally hit me, everyone is differant and everyone needs to find what works for them. For me, food is an addiction, like alcohol is to others. I know myself, I can not eat 10 M&M's and be happy, If I do that I will eat the whole bag, so I don't buy any//Period!!
    I buy Fat Free Chocolate Ice Cream, Sherbet, Angel Food Cake and dried fruits that I make into my own trail mix..
    Trying not to obsess about 1200 calories is working for me..if I am hungry I will grab a low fat snack..if I am not hungry, I don't eat. Before I felt like I had to eat and finish every bite on my plate, and breakfast, lunch and dinner were never skipped, they had to be eaten at a certain time, just because it was the time for them..No more !!
    Why force myself to eat lunch just cuz its noon??? If I am not hungry I dont eat...

I know alot of people are going to be upset , but Its what works for me. I feel better, I go to the gym every day except for weekends. I do not over do the exercise..I do the treadmill or some eliptical for 30-45 minutes (nothing thats gonna give me heart failure LOL ) but I am moving.

I go back for more blood work June 15th so hoping that my ## look better :) as for the weight coming off, its just icing on the cake..

Luly
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You are right.. going a lil over and a lil under on some days isn't going to kill you.
    As far as the part about you feeling hungry when you are in starvation mode isn't totally right. I myself ballooned to 268lbs eating one meal a day because my dummy of a doctor kept telling me I needed to lose weight and eat less but never asked me what I ate... so I did just that and kept eating less and less. At the time he told me that I was eating 3 meals a days.. so I brought it down to 2 then he told me that again and ofcourse I brought it down to 1. He then again advised me the same and I freaked out and demanded a referral to a dietician.

The dietician educated me that my food choices were fine, but that I needed to eat more. Even more than I was originally eating when my doctor advised me to cut down my intake. Funnily enough he called me a liar when I advised him what the dietician had said lol. Ofcourse that worked as you can see... 66 lbs off so far :)

My point is that rarely during this time did I ever feel hungry. And now... my husband brings snacks when we go out in case I get hungry since I get pretty cranky when I am lol
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was wondering what exactly I'm supposed to go by. 1200 is my usual goal and when I workout I get about 300 extra cals for the day, but someone told me we burn calories constantly so going by mfp isn't so great because I could be starving myself by their count. I don't know what to go by because I don't want to eat too much and not lose weight and I don't want to not eat enough and burn muscle instead of fat! Can anyone help? I'm really confused.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was wondering what exactly I'm supposed to go by. 1200 is my usual goal and when I workout I get about 300 extra cals for the day, but someone told me we burn calories constantly so going by mfp isn't so great because I could be starving myself by their count. I don't know what to go by because I don't want to eat too much and not lose weight and I don't want to not eat enough and burn muscle instead of fat! Can anyone help? I'm really confused.

I csn only tell you what I did. I was 168 and 47 yrs old (5'2" tall) I added 1 lb a week which brought me to 1250 or so cals a day. I knew this was low, but decided to start with that number and earn extra calories. I counted all of my exercise calories because I figured I was also more active now that I was moving. I figured 300 calories burned on my heart rate monitor-would make up for those extra stairs I was taking at work.

This would give me 1500 if I worked for it. Or 1200 if I was too lazy to get up and work. Period......I steadily lost 38 pounds and have kept it off for a year.

Good luck!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    First off, if you aren't hungry you shouldn't "force" yourself to eat your calories remaining that's crazy. If you are truly worried about eating all of your calories each day then you may want to look at your diet and see if you can eat some more calorie dense foods, like nuts, nut butters, some items with "healthy" fats like avocado and dairy.

The point of avoiding the "starvation" mode is that when your body isn't getting fuel it starts to retain what is available. You may not feel hungry right away you may not get usual hunger signals like headaches and fatigue.

The basic concept is to think of food as fuel and your body like you car. You can't get anywhere in a car with no gas in the tank and the same is true for you body. Not eating enough on a regular basis can also lead to binging on things you don't really want to eat because your body and mind realize that you're not putting enough gas in the tank and now its wants a full tank at any cost.
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I csn only tell you what I did. I was 168 and 47 yrs old (5'2" tall) I added 1 lb a week which brought me to 1250 or so cals a day. I knew this was low, but decided to start with that number and earn extra calories. I counted all of my exercise calories because I figured I was also more active now that I was moving. I figured 300 calories burned on my heart rate monitor-would make up for those extra stairs I was taking at work.

This would give me 1500 if I worked for it. Or 1200 if I was too lazy to get up and work. Period......I steadily lost 38 pounds and have kept it off for a year.

Good luck!!

Ok thanks! I earn between 300-500 extra cals per day depending on how hard I work out so I just eat more of the healthy foods fruits veggies etc so I know I'm getting nutrients instead of oh I have 200cals left I'm gonna eat a 140cal cookie. ANK! not good but now that you say what works for you that's what I've been doing too so I think I'm doing it right. thanks!