Compression Gear & Sneakers

Options
Okay folks, running for me is painful. Two fold.

First, I think I have shin splints, as my shins hurt like hell when I run. How can I combat this? I've been told compression pants help.... but I've also been told it's the way I run. What gives? I do have a bad knee so I'm already wearing a knee brace...

Second, I wear http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/32150-1023988/Saucony/Citron+Blue/Womens+Grid+Shadow+Genesis.aspx - and when I purchased them they were super comfortable, but now for some reason they're pinching at the toes, so I need to get new shoes. I LOVE The light weight, breathable mesh of these, so I'd like to find a similar style if possible, any suggestions? According to the people at the running store, I have high arches and step along the outside of my foot if that helps....

Is there even a way to correct your running?!

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    The right shoes will help correct your gait. The running store should offer advice on the type of shoe you need.

Are you heel striking? That could be a cause of shin splints. Or running too much/too fast, or on hills. And improper or worn out footwear can contribute to the pain. Look up some shin strengthening exercises online. It will get better as your legs gets stronger.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    There are so many different causes of shin splints. Compression sleeves or socks work well to alleviate some of the pain but if you ALREADY HAVE SHIN SPLINTS then I'd move to the elliptical so that they can heal and then go back to running once you can do so without pain.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Thanks much folks :)