Down with the flu! What do I eat? Can I eat more?

Options
Any suggestions for some healthy pick me ups that won't send me over my calorie limit (1290/day) while I wait this out?

Also, is it okay to eat above your calorie limit when you're sick?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You have the flu and you want to eat more?! But yes. My feeling is when you're sick you can do whatever you need to to feel better. But once you're better jump right back on track. I also don't think you need to log when sick - but that's just my opinion.

1290 is seriously low anyway. I'd eat above that every day.
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    If it will give you the energy you need sure. I don't think it should be used as an excuse to eat more but sometimes some things physically make us feel better. When I have a sore throat I eat some chips the salt makes it feel better.

Just as soon as you are ready to get moving you have to make it up.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon! I had the flu three years ago... for three weeks... it was awful! Friends would come by with food and I wouldn't let them inside... I would just wave at them through the storm door.

Stay hydrated. I drank a full fat Coke from McDonald's, the first one I'd had since high school (a million years ago). Drink and eat whatever appeals to you... ice cream, anything. You will probably lose weight no matter what from the fever.

Get well!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Agree that if you're having trouble keeping things down, you should eat whatever sounds good to you. But otherwise, try to stick w/things that will help fight it off faster...chicken soup, juices, drinks/foods w/vitamin C, tea, lots of water...if your stomach is bothering you then saltines and ginger ale. If you can stomach yogurt, it's got the good bacteria in it. Feel better soon.
  • drannisaac
    drannisaac Posts: 11
    Options
    Went out and ate 2000 calories worth of burger and fries! Feel better physically but kinda bummed mentally. What a mess. Hope it doesn't show on the scale tomorrow :(
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    always except today
    citrus
  • papafondo
    papafondo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If anything I'd stick with fluids. Soups, broth, real fruit and veggie juice. If you need something more substantial eat some cheese or protein. If you eat tons of carbs while you're sick you'll only gain weight.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The only things I could eat for thre days straight was lemonade ice blocks.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me when I was sick with the flu (respiratory, not stomach) back in February, to eat as much as I could considering my appetite was gone. Your body needs fuel to fight off your infection and heal. Just keep in mind that this doesn't mean you should gorge yourself. Still eat healthy and make good food decisions. I was still way under calories during that time because I didn't want to eat, I didn't have the energy to eat, all I wanted to do was sleep. But, it will not hurt if you're a little over your calorie limit when you're sick.

I ate a ton of soup, apple sauce, and Greek yogurt because my throat hurt to much to eat solids.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Went out and ate 2000 calories worth of burger and fries! Feel better physically but kinda bummed mentally. What a mess. Hope it doesn't show on the scale tomorrow :(

If anything shows on the scale it's probably from sodium and not actual weight. Don't worry about it. You're not going to gain weight from one meal.