ladies - bra size measurements ?

Options
13»

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    thanks again ladies, I'll deffo try bravvisimo, I'm currently wearing sports bras. however with a night out with hubby and a weekend away to alton towers with the family fast approaching I need to feel a bit more comfortable and sports bras don't have that effect :)
  • skinny2be2013
    Options
    I measure around the bra line then add two inches so 30 becomes 32 then with non padded bra on measure around the bust line at nipple height each inch difference to the band size equals a cup size it's always worked for me so I'm 30 inch on band size that makes me 32 band and39inch around the breast so that measures at a uk 32 f cup. Hope this helps.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've wandered into the wrong section the department store...but I don't' want to leave :)
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need to be measured, I go to Victoria's Secret. They specialize in bras, so the ladies there are very knowledgeable and know what they are doing and how to measure. By looking at the sizes that you mentioned, you may need a double letter cup and the measurement system that you are using online is not accounting for that. I used to buy and (uncomfortably) wear a 38D. It turns out that I needed a 36DDD and it felt great! Now, with working out and losing weight, I went to get measured again and am down to a 34DDD. Can't seem to lose those letters :laugh: , but it definitely makes a big difference when you have the right size bra. And the good part is, they don't try to make you buy one of their bras. They make suggestions, if they have it in stock, but they are not pushy about it and I really like that.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Congrats Majope! It feels so good, doesn't it? And it's great that your wear a size that can be found in a lot of stores, $6!

Donna, I can't give you any advice about bra shops in Glasgow, but I've heard that figleaves.com is a really good UK based lingerie website. They have a wide selection of sizes and styles and seem to have good shipping and return policies.
    I use a different website with a distribution center near me, herroom.com. I'll find a bra I like and order it in a few different sizes then return the ones that don't fit, sometimes none of them fit :( It's kind of a hassle but it's good if there aren't a lot of stores near you or you wear a size that is difficult to find. Best of luck!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've wandered into the wrong section the department store...but I don't' want to leave :)
    lol :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need to be measured, I go to Victoria's Secret. They specialize in bras, so the ladies there are very knowledgeable and know what they are doing and how to measure. By looking at the sizes that you mentioned, you may need a double letter cup and the measurement system that you are using online is not accounting for that. I used to buy and (uncomfortably) wear a 38D. It turns out that I needed a 36DDD and it felt great! Now, with working out and losing weight, I went to get measured again and am down to a 34DDD. Can't seem to lose those letters :laugh: , but it definitely makes a big difference when you have the right size bra. And the good part is, they don't try to make you buy one of their bras. They make suggestions, if they have it in stock, but they are not pushy about it and I really like that.

My problem with Victoria's Secret is how they measure for bra fitting. For the band size, they are measuring above the breasts right under your arms. That is just adding in those extra inches that you really shouldn't have in the band size to get the proper support. When I use their method, I measure 37" for my band size--that puts me in a 36 for them. My actual underbust measurement is 33.5". If I wear a 36 band, the cup wire starts to creep up when I lift my arms---so irritating. When I enter my actual measurements into their calculator, it tells me they are having trouble finding my size & to try again or visit the nearest store. What that actually means is that they don't carry my correct size & the salesperson at the store will give me bras with a too large band so that the cups will be large enough for my breasts. I will have an ill fitting bra at the end of it. I would be constantly fiddling with it to put things right. I feel like they are doing a huge disservice to women by putting them into incorrectly sized bras.
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    This link will give you all the info you need:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/comments/rh26h/is_getting_fitted_for_a_bra_as_humiliating_as_it/c469bi0

Don't go to a department store or VS or whatever- trust me, I've worked in that environment and I know how poor the training really is. Either a good specialty shop or try this method. It put me in a 28G, and my bras fit perfectly. I've never been so comfortable in my life.

^^^Agree wholeheartedly with this. Also if you're in the UK go to Bravissimo - they use a similar way of fitting for a bra and I've never had better fitting bras from any other store. M&S, John Lewis, Debenhams etc still use the old fashioned tape measure way of fitting and bras NEVER feel right.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    For women looking for cute size D-K bras at cheaper prices, check out brastop.com. They have a gazillion different sizes. It's UK based, but they ship around the world.

I also think the reddit thread is a great place to start.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

My problem with Victoria's Secret is how they measure for bra fitting. For the band size, they are measuring above the breasts right under your arms. That is just adding in those extra inches that you really shouldn't have in the band size to get the proper support. When I use their method, I measure 37" for my band size--that puts me in a 36 for them. My actual underbust measurement is 33.5". If I wear a 36 band, the cup wire starts to creep up when I lift my arms---so irritating. When I enter my actual measurements into their calculator, it tells me they are having trouble finding my size & to try again or visit the nearest store. What that actually means is that they don't carry my correct size & the salesperson at the store will give me bras with a too large band so that the cups will be large enough for my breasts. I will have an ill fitting bra at the end of it. I would be constantly fiddling with it to put things right. I feel like they are doing a huge disservice to women by putting them into incorrectly sized bras.

Yup 100% True. Soma intimates does the same thing.

I go to Nordstroms. OR by online at bravissimo or figleaves which do deliver to the US and most of the world.
  • meglettx
    meglettx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't read ALL the posts (skimmed first page) so I apologize if you have already got these recommendations....I hear Nordstrom's is a great place to be fitted, also I know in my area there are a couple of bra boutiques I go that are fabulous (I'd have to drive downtown to find Nordstrom's and I don't often go down there). Here are some online places that have been super helpful to me:

http://my.trueandco.com/x/Fac8e -- they ask you questions about how your bra currently fits and then let you pick out 5 different bras in their size recommendations to try on. I found this place to be more helpful after I already had a goal size I was shooting for but I LOVE that they will send you bras to try on for FREE (no shipping, just a $45 fully refundable deposit) and let you mail back for FREE as well. Nobody else I can find online does this!! It's SUPER HELPFUL for those of us with odd sizes (I'm a 34 DDD/E right now, you can't find that hardly even online). Also right now they are running a deal and you click that link you can get $20 off a bra.

The rest of these are places I typically find my bras based on who has deals and promos and they have advice for bra fittings. Again I would recommend finding someone good to help you but in case you are unable to go in somewhere these are good places to start.
    http://www.figleaves.com/us/fitting room/fitting_room.asp?show=1&cat=189
    http://www.barenecessities.com/feature.aspx?pagename=fit_sizing&cm_re=Fit-_-4.1-_-fit-sizing
    http://www.herroom.com/know-your-breasts/Questions.aspx
  • DPPCSIBSA
    Options
    How in the world!? Victoria secret said I am a 32D and I always bought 34A..(which feels loose on the band)..shocking I tell ya
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would really invest some time in getting properly fitted. And please don't go to Victoria's Secret. They are not properly trained and they do a horrible job. I would suggest Nordstrom, and any specialty bra place in your area.
  • DPPCSIBSA
    Options
    ok will go get fitted...because victoria secret measured and told me....will go tomorrow to nordstrom
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    This link will give you all the info you need:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/comments/rh26h/is_getting_fitted_for_a_bra_as_humiliating_as_it/c469bi0

Don't go to a department store or VS or whatever- trust me, I've worked in that environment and I know how poor the training really is. Either a good specialty shop or try this method. It put me in a 28G, and my bras fit perfectly. I've never been so comfortable in my life.

I second going to an actual lingerie store, not VS or a department store. My last two visits I saw two different fitters. Each of them took one look at me in my old bra and brought in the size I needed first try.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump