My story for your motivation (crosses fingers)

Options
It's amazing how much your emotional well being can impact your physical well being!

In order from Left to right with current pic on the bottom....

The first three photos were taken almost 5 years ago while I was deployed. I was able to get into the best shape of my life and felt unstoppable!

The fourth picture is from almost exactly 2 years ago. I think I went through almost every kind of misfortune a person can go through from 2007 to 2011! Shortly after getting back from my deployment I was diagnosed with cancer, malignant melanoma to be exact. It also turned out that I would go through a divorce and be diagnosed with 2 more malignant melanoma's. Fortunately each melanoma was caught early enough that invasive removal of the affected skin was all it took to remove it.

While going through the surgeries and divorce I fell into depression that led to alcohol addiction. Because of my depression I started cutting myself off from my friends and I was stationed thousands of miles away from any family while going through all this. I was able to get through the alcohol problems when I requested help and went to treatment but the depression was still there.

I turned towards online video games... never thought that could become an addiction but at that time of my life I guess it was the perfect situation to allow for another addiction to set in. As soon as I got off work all I wanted to do was play a video game until I went to sleep just to wake up and do it all over again. This went on for quite some time and was largely happening because of my depression. I think it was more of a way to escape the things that were getting me down.

Staying clean and sober, and finally getting to come back home my mom died suddenly, I was only back home for a couple months.... This was very hard on me and to put the icing on the cake my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer which he fought the good fight but lost after 8 months of therapy and radiation. I was unemployed for almost a year and a half, living with my grandmother and helping her take care of my grandfather. Helping her take care of him was just another way for me to not look at myself.

Shortly after he passed away I felt like I woke up from a coma.... I couldn't find anything to give my attention to and it became harder and harder for me to not realize I needed to make a change for me....

The 4th picture was taken the day I realized I needed to make a change and I knew that fitness would make me feel better both physically and emotionally.

The final picture is my current picture! I feel so lucky to be married again, to still be alive, and to feel healthy again!

I made the mistake of letting life get me down, thankfully I snapped out of it eventually but I hope anyone that reads this that is having a tough time in their life and/or struggling with their health and fitness goals can find some motivation in this.

No matter how hard life is hitting you, keep the fight in you alive!

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu113/mdflows/FitnessPendulum_zps67f0b3d1.jpg

Replies

• bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    wow - you have been through a lot. So glad that you are back:smile:
    continued best health to you and congratulations:heart:
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much your emotional well being can impact your physical well being!

No matter how hard life is hitting you, keep the fight in you alive!

Your story is very motivating -- thank you for sharing!

It makes me realize that I'm making mountains out of molehills with my complaints.
    I've been through a lot in the past with health issues and family members and a friend passing away.
    Right now though- my problems are the type that can be handled by standing up and taking action.
    I'm "allowing" one person in particular to manipulate me. My problem is my inaction.

Again thank you for sharing. I wish you good health and much happiness.

Mary