• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Time of the month coming?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Maintain your exercise program.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

1. No, eat when you want. Nutrient timing has little effect on weight loss.
    2. Unless you are at risk for diabetes (or already diabetic) or other medical conditions, this shouldn't be an issue.
    3. You don't need to eat the same thing all the time. That's just silly (and boring).
    4. You're already weighing yourself - AND ALREADY LOSING WEIGHT
    5. Eat what you want, as long as it fits in your calorie goal.
    6. Exercise if you want and eat back the calories

Listen OP, you ARE losing weight. Yes, you bounced back. That's normal and we all go through it. Change your mindset and be prepared for that to happen sometimes.

Increases in weight can be attributed to hormones/monthly cycle, excess sodium, muscles retaining fluid (from exercise), etc. It's normal.

You're doing fine. Just keep going.
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    GOTTA BUMP THIS
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    Ok I hope that's the case. How much sodium should I have?
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    Ugh ok thanks!
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    Hi there :)

I was having the same problem. I thought I was eating healthy and working out but then I wouldn't loose any weight even when I was under calorie goal! It is so frustrating! Then I recently saw a British TV show on you tube called secret eaters, and that changed everything! First off there are tons more different types of eaters other then emotional eaters and I realized I was a grazer. I would have a bite of this and a bite of that without even realizing it. A lot of the time people do not even realize what they are putting in their mouths. You are probably not writing down that sip of juice, or the little nibbles now and then while cooking, or the oil or butter you used to cook your food even a pam spray thing. These things add up. Since I watched this show I now realize that I eat a lot more then 1200 calories.

I also am an expat. I lived in Korea for two and a half years. I know it's more expensive to cook at home but it can be done. ( I did it) I get loads of fruits and veggies (at the markets or food store) then lean meat and chicken at the butchers (they have loads of them) eat whatever is in season. Always a great staple is bok choy. If you eat out, no more kim bop or som gup sal. Galbi is very good for you in moderation and kim chi is actually healthy for you (also in moderation) I always used to walk past a roasted chicken truck on my way home from work and I would get a chicken and debone the meat and put it on top of a salad or sometimes in the winter I would get the chicken then they would roast sweet potatoes outside of my apartment - yummy. Just look around and you will find healthy things in Korea!

*To watch the show - type in "Secret eaters S01" in the search box of the you tube. I really hope this helps! Good luck!

I was trying to watch out for that. So I plan my food the day before. If it is not on my dairy, I don't eat it. So I got rid of juice and soda and things so I'm not tempted. And I always add the butter and stuff. But I don't add the oil that I cook in. Maybe that's it??? I have been cooking since I started...no more McDonald's and Rice Poon for me. :-( When I do have McDonald's, it is something that I can count in my caloric intake. I was wondering if maybe myfitnesspal was giving me too many calories to eat. You think that could be it?
  • mariodog1
    mariodog1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you eating salty foods?
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    Are you eating salty foods?

No I stay away from foods that are high in salt. If I cook with it, it is a dash of salt but that's it.
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    It looks like you're not eating your exercise calories in the entries I saw. My understanding is with the MFP settings you should neat the goal + exercise calories.

What do you mean by "neat?"
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    are you switching up your work outs? If I continue to do the same things, even if I'm busting my *kitten*, my *kitten* stays the same :p

Unfortunately I am not. I do a lot of walking. I did sign up for a gym here for a month which was $150/month. But I didn't renew because of how expensive it is plus I buy fresh fruits and food frequently. It was hurting my budget.
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

Thanks!!! Ok I will do this too.
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    But somethings wrong because last week I gained like 5 lbs and then I lost only 3. So I am up 2 lbs then my last weigh in.

This can be water weight due to high sodium or because of your menstral cycle.

Weight loss is most often NOT linear. Many of us go down, back up a bit, down, etc...

I would be THRILLED to lose 9 pounds in 6 weeks. I lose less than a pound a week at the best of times AND it still bounces up and down like a rubber ball. :)

Hang in there! You are doing great.

Ugh it's just so frustrating.
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You have alot of calories left over during the day. When you exercise calories MFP is desinged to eat those calories back because it already puts in a 500 calorie a day deficit. You need to eat enough to fuel your body especially when you exercise. Have you seen posts about TDEE?

Got to Fat2Fitradio.com and figure out what calories are really need, I think you will be suprised on how much you can actually eat and lose weight.

FUEL YOUR BODY!
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options

This looks good.

To the OP, ditch the frosty flakes in the morning and eat yogurt or oatmeal (not the sugarry kind you have been eating). And eat more vegetables.

Oh no!!! Not my frosted flakes and oatmeal! :-(
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    You are almost complete opposite of what I believe in. A good "diet" is something you can maintain for life. Yes, a little strict at first is fine, but most people can't stay this way for life. Take small steps and let your body adjust! That way when you get to a plateau, you still have plenty of tools in your belt to change things up!

1) I find if you eat 3 meals a day, but are "starving" in between, most people are more likely to binge. I'm like that. It was when I switched to 6-7 (200-400 calorie meals) I stopped constantly thinking of food.

2) Water is your best friend, but when you are used to other things, I find weaning your way off sugary drinks to be best. If you drink normal pop, switch to diet (for now), use propel packets to flavor your water (or something similar)

3) Stay away from prepackaged foods if you can. They usually leave you disappointed an hungry!!! Make your own meals if you can. Yes you may need to supplement with something like a "healthy" frozen dinner but you will be much more satisfied with other types of foods. One of my favorite meals is putting 4oz ground turkey (with taco seasoning), roasted onions/green peppers, over a salad of romaine and spinach with vinegar. It tastes just like a taco salad with less than 200 cals!

4) DITCH THE SCALE!! If you do want to use it, use it only to educate yourself of your fluctuations of water weight. The ONLY way to measure progress is HOW YOU FEEL!! If you look in the mirror and smile, your making progress. I like taking pictures on the first weekend of every month and comparing them. Even though your weight isn't changing, you'll see the difference! A tape measure will help as well!

5) Make sure your happy and can maintain this lifestyle.

6) The only one I agree with.. lol!!

I'd like to add.. EDUCATE YOURSELF!! Don't listen to any "one" person and experiment. Everyone is different. Look up Layne Norton (PhD/Bodybuilder/Coach/Personal Trainer) on YouTube. Great info!!

Hope that helps! :)
    -Jenae Smith

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    www.jenaesfitnessblog.com/tumblr

Thanks Jenae!!! I saw a doctor say that we should also take Chromium, HCA, and Catechins. I just ordered those today too. I had been taking those Quick Trim supplements. Clearly they don't work long term. They helped relieve the initial water weight but that's about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

While personally I eat 2 meals a day and snacks, there's no assurance that eating 3 meals a day will ensure correct calories. That's what logging is for.
    People fail on diets because of extreme restriction. While water is the only liquid you need to survive, variety is what keeps people from getting bored with life.
    This I can agree with to an extent.
    Weight loss isn't linear, and because of that some may be reactive (cut calories more than they should) to compensate for the no loss daily. And if one lives and dies by the scale (meaning it affects their attitude for the day), then they shouldn't do this.
    There in lies the problem. Introduce a little sugar (which earlier stated should be omitted) could cause weight gain immediately because of how it's stored in cells especially if one is exercising vigorously.
    Agreed.
    ALL diets work when followed. Where they fail is sustainability for life. That's why it's usually important to do a diet NOW that you can still lose weight on, but continue to do for life.
    Lots of good thoughts here, but a lot of it is information that implies restriction (though you do need to restrict calories) of foods or drink that someone may actually enjoy.
    One can moderate their eating and still lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    But somethings wrong because last week I gained like 5 lbs and then I lost only 3. So I am up 2 lbs then my last weigh in.

KEEP CALM (smile)! I wouldn't panic if I lost 11 lbs already. Your weight will flucuate due to reasons beyond your control (ie hormones, limited food choices, priorities, etc). Just try to stay within your calorie goals and keep exercising and you'll see the results
  • sawiemken
    sawiemken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You are almost complete opposite of what I believe in. A good "diet" is something you can maintain for life. Yes, a little strict at first is fine, but most people can't stay this way for life. Take small steps and let your body adjust! That way when you get to a plateau, you still have plenty of tools in your belt to change things up!

1) I find if you eat 3 meals a day, but are "starving" in between, most people are more likely to binge. I'm like that. It was when I switched to 6-7 (200-400 calorie meals) I stopped constantly thinking of food.

2) Water is your best friend, but when you are used to other things, I find weaning your way off sugary drinks to be best. If you drink normal pop, switch to diet (for now), use propel packets to flavor your water (or something similar)

3) Stay away from prepackaged foods if you can. They usually leave you disappointed an hungry!!! Make your own meals if you can. Yes you may need to supplement with something like a "healthy" frozen dinner but you will be much more satisfied with other types of foods. One of my favorite meals is putting 4oz ground turkey (with taco seasoning), roasted onions/green peppers, over a salad of romaine and spinach with vinegar. It tastes just like a taco salad with less than 200 cals!

4) DITCH THE SCALE!! If you do want to use it, use it only to educate yourself of your fluctuations of water weight. The ONLY way to measure progress is HOW YOU FEEL!! If you look in the mirror and smile, your making progress. I like taking pictures on the first weekend of every month and comparing them. Even though your weight isn't changing, you'll see the difference! A tape measure will help as well!

5) Make sure your happy and can maintain this lifestyle.

6) The only one I agree with.. lol!!

I'd like to add.. EDUCATE YOURSELF!! Don't listen to any "one" person and experiment. Everyone is different. Look up Layne Norton (PhD/Bodybuilder/Coach/Personal Trainer) on YouTube. Great info!!

Hope that helps! :)
    -Jenae Smith

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    www.jenaesfitnessblog.com/tumblr

You have encouraged me.. thank you.. I changed scales yesterday and by the new scale had gained 2 pounds and was super bummed but I'm going to go with what you said if I look in the mirror and smile I'm good for today. Thank you.
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options

While personally I eat 2 meals a day and snacks, there's no assurance that eating 3 meals a day will ensure correct calories. That's what logging is for.
    People fail on diets because of extreme restriction. While water is the only liquid you need to survive, variety is what keeps people from getting bored with life.
    This I can agree with to an extent.
    Weight loss isn't linear, and because of that some may be reactive (cut calories more than they should) to compensate for the no loss daily. And if one lives and dies by the scale (meaning it affects their attitude for the day), then they shouldn't do this.
    There in lies the problem. Introduce a little sugar (which earlier stated should be omitted) could cause weight gain immediately because of how it's stored in cells especially if one is exercising vigorously.
    Agreed.
    ALL diets work when followed. Where they fail is sustainability for life. That's why it's usually important to do a diet NOW that you can still lose weight on, but continue to do for life.
    Lots of good thoughts here, but a lot of it is information that implies restriction (though you do need to restrict calories) of foods or drink that someone may actually enjoy.
    One can moderate their eating and still lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Great tips. Thanks!!!
  • ladymiajohnson
    Options
    You have alot of calories left over during the day. When you exercise calories MFP is desinged to eat those calories back because it already puts in a 500 calorie a day deficit. You need to eat enough to fuel your body especially when you exercise. Have you seen posts about TDEE?

Got to Fat2Fitradio.com and figure out what calories are really need, I think you will be suprised on how much you can actually eat and lose weight.

FUEL YOUR BODY!

Thank you!!!