Eating back calories with junk food?

Hi there,

I'm an 18 year old girl with a daily calorie goal of 1450 (for losing 1/2 pounds per week) but usually I eat around 1300-50. On Sundays, I work in a cafe where I am constantly on my feet (waitressing, washing dishes, making food, on till, cleaning) for 5 hours, and apparently, this burns around 100 calories an hour, otherwise, I am pretty sedentary the rest of the week as I just sit at a desk all day at school but I try to walk for 30 mins 3 times a week.

Assuming I do eat 1450 calories on a Sunday and I burn 500 calories, my net calories will only by 1000 which I know isn't healthy (read that you shouldn't eat below 1220 calories?)

Is it ok to eat back those calories with junk food (like tim tams, nutella, peanut butter, croissants, brownies, cakes etc) to bring my net calories to around 1350 or am I better off just leaving it as it is and just have one day where I'm below 1000? I find it difficult to hit 1800 with "proper" foods.

Thanks

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    You can eat whatever you want, calories are calories, but that doesn't mean you should. Calorie dense but healthy food does exist.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Yes.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    If you're just concerned with weight loss, yes you can eat junk food. I do daily and still lose on average 1.5 pounds/week. I always give myself a couple hundred calories of whatever I want a day. It's not healthy, but it doesn't affect weight loss because it's still within the calorie limit.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is junk food is so very not filling. So, it does add to additional hunger while already dieting. Again, if you don't care, go for it.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    calories are calories

True story.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    You can have whatever you want, just make sure you are getting enough nutrition. When you are on reduced calories, you can't afford too many empty ones.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    I try to eat mostly clean but a small treat once a week (or more even) while you still stay under your net goal is fine. And I don't think peanut butter is junk food, at least not the natural peanut butter I buy which is just peanuts and salt on the ingredients list. :flowerforyou:
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Despite what have already been said, all calories are not created equally and if they were, many of us would not be here. This equation neglects to take into account how highly processed carbohydrates effects our body chemistry, spikes insulin levels and causing us to retain fat. I can recommend a good book for you to read if you PM me. But you need to decide if this makes sense to you because I am not here to change other people's beliefs. Good luck with your endeavors.
  • vmy19
    vmy19 Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the replies :)

On a side note, what would you say are "calorie dense" foods?

I eat Sanitarium Natural Peanut Butter and I'll usually have a tablespoon of that if I really need to boost my calories but I can't have anymore than that without feeling sick. Sometimes I'll have an egg as well but I don't really like eating that after dinner (when I realise I need to eat more to stay above 1200) or a banana but that's too filling for me at night.

I guess that's why I eat junk- I don't actually need to feel full, I just need to up my net calories.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    I shoot for a 80/20

80 percent of my food are important things, protein, and healthy fats, and nutritional veggies and fruit. This makes up the lion share of my calories. Then I eat ONE grain a day. Often it is rice, or other form of polish or whole grain. I do not eat much wheat...

But then I look at my calories and I always want a 500-1000 calorie deficit. So if I have left over and I often do if I am working out, I eat what I want. The rules for me are, my macro nutrient targets are met and are balanced, and I am within my calorie deficit. Then I eat what I want.

SO that means I get to eat junk sometimes. Sometimes I do have that ice cream or some other goodie if I have the calorie allowance, and I can balance it with protein (without going over my calorie intake)... usually it is right after my workout meal.

If you are burning calories and eating proper nutrition nothing is wrong with spending 200-400 calories on something you enjoy. You earned it, eat it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Keep an eye on your previous diary entries. If you find that your eating is very similar most days make small additions earlier in the day. If it's harder for you to fit extras into the evening hours try adding in a few snacks during the day or add some quick things like nuts, pb, avocados, hemp hearts, or chia seeds to your breakfast and lunch.
  • fluffychicken7
    Have an avocado.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Despite what have already been said, all calories are not created equally and if they were, many of us would not be here. This equation neglects to take into account how highly processed carbohydrates effects our body chemistry, spikes insulin levels and causing us to retain fat. I can recommend a good book for you to read if you PM me. But you need to decide if this makes sense to you because I am not here to change other people's beliefs. Good luck with your endeavors.
    Actually calories are just units of energy. 1 calorie of fat equals 1 calorie of protein equals 1 calorie of carbs. You're referring to macronutrient content and effect on hormones. But it really does come down to calories in and calories out when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fluffychicken7
    Ninerbuff. Fair enough, I do understand the mathematics of it, but as a fellow health professional, wouldn't you say there are more to body wellness that what number shows up on the scale?