Eating after 7, let's be real..

Options
So I'm curious... We've all heard 'no eating after 7' but my schedule is far from regular. As unhealthy as it is, I never go to bed nor do I wake up around the same time. EVER. Therefore my eating habits are all over the place. One morning I'll be up at 6 eating breakfast and then dinner at 5pm. Next day I sleep until 3pm and have dinner around 4am. :/ I stick to my 'daily calories' and my dogs keep me out of the house and moving... so my question is, is it that bad? Should I make an effort to cut off the rumbles in my tummy after 7? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You could eat at midnight and it wouldn't make any difference to weight loss. Eat when you like.
  • lizlovestrees
    lizlovestrees Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you're my new best friend.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference. They whole 'don't eat after 6, or 7, or 8' thing is a myth.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    okay, i'm curious. what do you do that has you keeping such irregular hours?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Some people create an eating "window" outside of which they don't eat because it helps them control their eating. It is often done as a form of Intermittent Fasting. But the window can be at any time.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat after 7 constantly.. After my work out and then I have to wind down and cook it's almost always 7 30 8pm before i eat. sometimes later.

I'm starting to believe the people who say it doesn't matter when you eat.. lol Although I'm still not convinced that my 1am trip to IHOP last weekend was ok in any way shape or form. LMAO.. not to mention my tummy didnt like the food. lol
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay under your calorie limit, you will lose weight even if you eat all those calories between midnight and 6AM - while your metabolism does slow down a bit while you sleep, it doesn't do so to the point that a later meal or snack will make that big of a difference so long as you are under your calories.
  • Fierylynx
    Fierylynx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think the after 7 theory is that you will be going to bed on a full stomach, with lower metabolism, and won't sleep as well. But if you are going to be up for hours after 7 it doesn't make sense to go hungry. Just keep under your daily limit and try to stick to lighter foods that don't have much/any caffeine or sugar as you get closer to your bed time.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter hon!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Unless having a full tummy disturbs your sleep, eat when you like. I frequently don't eat until 9-10pm and it hasn't made a difference. That idea has been thoroughly debunked!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yup, meal timing is a bunch of nonsense. I work split shifts and also usually have to work my sleep in around chores or the gym, so on days that I work the graveyard shift I'll go to sleep anywhere between 9am and 2pm, and on days that I work first shift I go to sleep anytime between 10pm and 1am. My sleep schedule is all over the place and my meal timing follows suite. I eat when I get hungry, and it has had no impact whatsoever on my weight loss (I've been working on getting into shape for around 2 years, but only have had the split shift schedule for about 10 months, and yet I've seen the most improvements in my body in the past 9 months to a year).
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I eat after 7 everyday, I don't get home till 8ish most nights and im loosing just fine.

I dont no about anyone else but there's nothing i love more than going to bed after a good warm meal, Especially in winter
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my calories after 7 pm. Under 20% for breakfast most days, 30-40% for lunch and the rest is dinner.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at 8:30ish most nights. I work swing shift, so what can I do? I don't feel like it matters when you eat.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I usually always eat something like cottage cheese or greek yogurt before I go to bed. Helps keep your metabolism up :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    We've also all heard that the moon is made of cheese.

The time that you eat has no metabolic effect. Some people sleep better when they eat right before bed.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is. Eat anytime you wish
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Looking at your pics, I think you are doing quite well with your eating schedule. Eat when you want as long as you stay within your calories. You may want to avoid eating a couple of hours before you know you are going to bed, but some of that would be so you don't have trouble sleeping with a full tummy. :) Great job on your weight loss journey!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If that nighttime eating myth was anywhere near true, then us 3rd shifters would be totally screwed...

Just echoing what everyone else already said, as long as you are meeting your calorie and macro needs, it doesn't matter when you eat.

I typically have breakfast at 3pm, lunch at 7pm, dinner at midnight, a snack at 4am, and a second snack right before falling asleep around 8am. This is 4 days a week. On the 3 days that I am off work, I still eat at irregular times...typically between 1pm to 4am with the majority of calories after 7pm. I lose body fat consistently and have for a very long time. I started third shift 5 years ago, joined MFP just 3 years ago, so all my recent weight loss has been with this schedule. If I had to stop eating at 7pm, I'd literally have a 2000 calorie breakfast and nothing else. Hmmm...IHOP everyday!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    We've also all heard that the moon is made of cheese.

The time that you eat has no metabolic effect. Some people sleep better when they eat right before bed.
    It actually was but I devoured the moon years ago. The alien inhabitants weren't all that pleased. I did replace it with a huge cardboard cutout, though.