Recommendations for On-the-Go Dinners

Options
lisapisa81
lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
My Wednesdays are busy these days. I go from work to training, then after training I have 30 minutes to change, eat, and get to band practice (yep, still a band nerd) 10 minutes from the training studio. I've been getting grilled chicken McWraps from McDonalds, but I'm already burned out on those. Can anyone recommend some healthy dinner options that I could bring with me? Band practice doesn't end until 9 so I'd prefer not to have to eat another snack when I get home.

Whatever food I bring can be refrigerated while I'm at work, but then needs to withstand 90 minutes in the car while I'm driving and training (I live in southern California so it is mild now but will get into the 80s-90s soon).

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Replies

• kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You should get a reusable ice pack, that way, you can keep the food colder.

Make your own wraps. Get the low cal wraps, grilled veggies, a little bit of pesto, a little bit of feta.

I'm out of ideas, sorry. I mainly just wanted to bump this so you would get more responses.
  • kariplease
    kariplease Posts: 43
    Options
    You can make your own sandwiches with deli meat or grilled chicken, or your own wraps. I found these tortillas at Trader Joe's that are 50 calories each with like 7g of fiber called 'low carbin'. An ice pack like the user above suggested is extremely handy. You can make your own salads to go and keep cut up veggies and fruits on the go as well.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Get an insulated lunch carrier and put an ice pack in it and you should pretty much be able to make most things travel for 90 minutes. One of my favorite things right now is fresh berries with sugar free Cool Whip or Vanilla Greek Yogurt over them. Tastes especially good after a good workout!
  • EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    Second the insulated lunch cooler suggestion. I have this one, and it's great for on-the-go food: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068B6VR6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I recommend getting an ice blanket like this: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Blue-Ice-Flexible-Blanket/dp/B004286IL6/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

It's a lot easier to pack than the big bulky ice packs, and keeps your food cool for quite some time.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Reusable ice packs and tote- style lunch cooler.

You could make a veggie salad (sans lettuce) - chickpeas, peppers, scallions, cukes, carrots, broccoli or cauliflower, some quinoa or rice, a little olive oil, lemon zest and juice (fresh), sea salt, black pepper, garlic poweder, thyme and a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes. This type of salad holds me over quite well. If you were to iced it, you could add goat cheese or feta (just a LITTLE) and some parsley or lettuce.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    yep, for $15 you could get a really good lunch pack and 2-3 ice packs.

If you're really in a pinch just go to 7-11 and get a Muscle Milk bar + fruit if they have it at the front counter
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    2 pc of light bread or a deli flat, 2 servings of deli sliced turkey (or ham), 2pc of center cut bacon, a lil honey mustard, and cheese if u wish. even with the cheese, its <350 cals :)
  • neil4ad
    neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of this here. My guess is that the McD's chicken wrap is full of added starches, fillers, and things you don't want to be eating.