Barefoot/minimalist footwear

Options
13»

Replies

• BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just like being barefoot and will be that way any and all chances I get. I do everything barefoot and the only time I put those little coffins on is when small minded people force me to.

I do own Vibrams FF and Merrells but only wear them when required to... (Like lifting in gym)

There is nothing more gratifying than going for a barefoot hike in the woods. We don't cover our hands with gloves unless they are needed, why do we cover our feet with shoes?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think like many things it depends on the person. I have flat feet so I can't wear them without doing more damage to my joints. In reality, flat/minimalist footwear have been popular for some time with weight lifting, the classic and most popular being Converse Chuck Taylors.

These have become so popular I've actually been criticized for wearing running sneakers to lift. Show me some minimalist footwear that can accomodate orthotic insoles and I'll be in.

My feet are dead pan flat and there are a great many excellent runners with flat feet. This should not stop you from running barefoot or minimalist. Unless you have a specific injury/deformation then probably your form is the problem.

I had to go through physical therapy and have been told not to wear anything like that. For many people it can do more damage.
    Also, are you a physical therapist, doctor, or physio? Then you probably can't judge if someone should be wearing these shoes and if my form is the issue.

Like I said before, it depends on the persona and one style isn't for everyone.
  • Shannon16385
    Options
    I wear the Merrell Barefoot Run Pace Glove, and I love them. My old running shoes feel like weights on my feet now. I remember when I first started using the shoe, the worker at REI told me to break them in first. I first started walking and then eventually started my normal daily 3-5 mile runs. It would be difficult for me to build a routine running in a different type of shoe again.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think like many things it depends on the person. I have flat feet so I can't wear them without doing more damage to my joints. In reality, flat/minimalist footwear have been popular for some time with weight lifting, the classic and most popular being Converse Chuck Taylors.

These have become so popular I've actually been criticized for wearing running sneakers to lift. Show me some minimalist footwear that can accomodate orthotic insoles and I'll be in.

My feet are dead pan flat and there are a great many excellent runners with flat feet. This should not stop you from running barefoot or minimalist. Unless you have a specific injury/deformation then probably your form is the problem.

I had to go through physical therapy and have been told not to wear anything like that. For many people it can do more damage.
    Also, are you a physical therapist, doctor, or physio? Then you probably can't judge if someone should be wearing these shoes and if my form is the issue.

If you have an injury or deformation in your feet then you should consult a doctor, but there are a great many people that have had huge problems in their feet and proper form and minimalism fix their issues.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I have three pairs of vibram five fingers, am about to order another pair for my next two endurance events. I have been injury free since switching to minimalist shoes. I even run on trails with them.

I also lift with them in the gym. They are so comfy...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you have an injury or deformation in your feet then you should consult a doctor, but there are a great many people that have had huge problems in their feet and proper form and minimalism fix their issues.

I don't disagree with you, for a large number of people, they are great but there are those of us that just can't do it.
    I've wanted to go minimalist, I believe in the basis of the idea, however I simply am not able. I've had people tell me that I need to fix my form, I'm not a heel striker. I've had people suggest that its still my form in other ways. It drives me nuts.
    In the end, I run in what has kept me injury free.