Tough Mudder

Options
Bean615
Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
Hello all! I just recently trained for and completed a half marathon. now onto the next experience...tough mudder! i have it the beginning of June. Does anyone have any advice for training for this?? has anyone done it before? if so, what was your experience?

Replies

• mrscompgeek
    mrscompgeek Posts: 18
    Options
    My husband is training for this right now. He is doing one in June. His training involves alot of running and he is adding in climbing large rocks, he runs up large hills, he's been turning his shower to cold at the end to get used to the "artic enema" . He mainly just finds things on his runs to run over or through or up. One of his coworkers that is doing it as well was running in the snow barefoot and doing sit ups in the snow.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first one in 9 days, so I will have better advise after that.

However, I have been doing all my running outside, making sure to incorporate hills, lots of running in the snow and freezing temps here in Canada all winter. For strength I have been following the Mudder workout sort of, lots of push ups, tricep dips, lunges, monkey bars, squats, etc. Though my upper body strength is not exactly where I hoped it would be, I think I will still be okay.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I've done a few. Where is the one you are doing in June? If you can run a half marathon, you are golden. The problem you might run into is if you don't do strength training. The obstacles will be difficult for you. Focusing on running is good, but it isn't the whole picture. Make sure you do strength training too. OCR is a holistic experience.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was just looking into this and found a nice link on their website..

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/

I have no plans to do one but thought that the workout would be cool. Good luck!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Well I just completed the Tough Mudder in Toronto this past Saturday. You should be good with the running, but depending on where yours is work on hills, that part was killer for ours. I don't have the best upper body strength, but my goal was to attempt ever obstacle and finish the course. Done and Done!! In my attempts there was only 4 that I didn't complete out of 22, good first try, can't wait to do better next year!!
  • rugbygirlca
    rugbygirlca Posts: 85
    Options
    I too did the Tough Mudder on Saturday in Toronto (technically Barrie). It was COOOOOLD, but a lot of fun. The marathoner in our group was fine with all the running between obstacles, but skipped a lot of the challenges (which I thought was pretty disappointing). I attempted all 22 obstacles. I only got three rungs into the monkey bars...man those things are slippery...and I didn't make it up Everest on my first try. Other than that, I did them all successfully. You definitely need upper body strength training and a willingness to just dive in and try the challenge. None of them are as crazy as they look. Read a few blog posts and you'll pick up a few tricks to help you with some of them.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I too did the Tough Mudder on Saturday in Toronto (technically Barrie). It was COOOOOLD, but a lot of fun. The marathoner in our group was fine with all the running between obstacles, but skipped a lot of the challenges (which I thought was pretty disappointing). I attempted all 22 obstacles. I only got three rungs into the monkey bars...man those things are slippery...and I didn't make it up Everest on my first try. Other than that, I did them all successfully. You definitely need upper body strength training and a willingness to just dive in and try the challenge. None of them are as crazy as they look. Read a few blog posts and you'll pick up a few tricks to help you with some of them.

Was it at Moonstone? I'm doing TM Toronto in September at Mount St. Louis Moonstone.