Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Obesity and poverty...

1171819202123»

Replies

• Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Yup sound like when I would visit family in lake hills Texas. The only store was called Dusty's and it was pretty well stocked considering the size. But was all processed box items so no fresh produce. You either had to drive to Bandara Texas 30 minutes away down a highway or San Antonio 1 hour away. Although I never lived it day to day I use to experience it every visit. I understand alright how hard it is to get food in some areas
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    As someone who grew up damn poor but managed to claw my way out, get some schooling and now live a semi-middle class life, eating clean was the last thing on my mind and the minds of my parents. Maybe I'm wrong but our family drama was out there for the world to see - alcoholism, mental illness, unstable home and work life (for my parents). Growing up in a small town - you knew who had the issues with booze, craziness and drugs. It never seemed that the middle class families had these issues or hid it pretty well.

I read that a Kentucky (?) lawmaker wanted to tie academic performance of kids whose families receive aid - if the kid failed or underperformed, the family would lose their food stamps. I totally see that working.... :grumble: A kid who is already stressed and likely struggling with school due to lacking resources is now responsible for keeping the family's hunger at bay. No pressure there.

I am with you!! I teach classrooms full of kids who would fall into this category every day! While there are those that I feel would benefit from a little hospitality from our corrections system, most come in that room and give me everything they have to give every day! Sometimes that is pitifully little, but that is what is to be expected when the it is well known that this child slept outside in the same clothes he was in at school yesterday because he couldn't go home without getting in the way of mama's funtime. This is not always the case, but it happens often enough to make it a real consideration.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 269 Member
    To the point of the OP question, this video deals objectively with the issue:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-healthy-on-a-budget/
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    The relationship of obesity and poverty is likely to worsen considerably:

"If the rate of Alzheimer’s rises in lockstep with Type 2 diabetes, which has nearly tripled in the United States in the last 40 years, we will shortly see a devastatingly high percentage of our population with not only failing bodies but brains. Even for the lucky ones this is terrible news, because 5.4 million Americans (nearly 2 percent, for those keeping score at home) have the disease, the care for which — along with other dementias — will cost around $200 billion this year.

Gee. That’s more than the $150 billion we’ve been saying we spend annually on obesity-related illnesses. So the financial cost of the obesity pandemic just more than doubled. More than 115 million new cases of Alzheimer’s are projected around the world in the next 40 years, and the cost is expected to rise to more than a trillion of today’s dollars. (Why bother to count? $350 billion is bad enough.)"

Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes?
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/bittman-is-alzheimers-type-3-diabetes/