Can we talk..? About food?

Options
Trak
Trak Posts: 9
I like my food.

Who doesn't?

With maybe a few exceptions I would imagine most of us here - especially those of us here - like our food. As you can see from my profile I am a turophile, so I don't just like cheese, I love it!!! Which got me to thinking about how difficult it is sometimes when we are trying to control what we eat.

Our cravings don't actually go away, do they? We might supress them (for the greater good) but it doesn't actually mean they disappear altogether; and actually thank goodness. I like the idea that when my eating is back under control I can once again (occasionally) have an oven baked camembert and a selection of meats to dip in to that gorgeous warm, runny creamy interior.

So is that actually a bad thing? To fantasise about your favourite food?

When I stopped smoking 13 years ago one of the things that actually made it easier for me to continue on that long, arduous road was being able to accept that I still wanted a smoke. It was a form of acceptance therapy - I accepted I still wanted a smoke and it did not fill me with the usual feelings of impending failure and the obligatory sense of guilt that often accompanies these self-revelations. So much so that I was then able to move on and forget about the smoking - until the next time. As I say I stopped 13 years ago and am still "smoke-free" :-)

Accepting it never made me "give in" and I use the same kind of thinking now. So yes, I still crave those naughty foods - it doesn't make me a bad person, just human - and I accept it. Amazingly I have my moment of delicious rememberance and then I move on. And no, I have never "broken" by accepting I am still pining for 200g of Morbier and a good Pinot Grigio to wash it down with.

Not sure if it would work for everyone but I think embracing our longings and accepting them as that works for me and with that in mind can I ask everyone out there....

What their fantasy favourite foods is and if accepting that they still crave it actually helps them deal with the craving?

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love pasta/breads, tomato sauce, and cheese in multiple forms. The cheese in these meals makes them very fattening, drat it! ;)
    When these foods are in my house, especially pizza, I usually over eat.
    My method for dealing with hi-calorie foods is, normally, to have a small amount--I get my favorite flavors, but I do not break the calorie band for that day. I savor that taste, eating very slowly and then walk away from the rest of the tempting treat--usually.
    Sometimes, it doesn't work. I do not think dwelling on the obsession works for me. Mu way is to eat it in a healthy amount, and stay away from it until the rest is eaten or given away. That works, sometimes! ;)
    I like your way, but it is not for me. Have fun and success with your dieting.
  • k_wills
    k_wills Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh Trak...Trak! (I'm shaking my head) I'm just on my to Sainsburys and if I buy cheese now I'm blaming you!
    Damn and I'm meeting a friend for lunch later, i had planned for it to be more of a liquid one, but now..........?
    Saboter!...lol