Good Arm Exercises?

Options
So I know I can't spot reduce, but I need some arm exercises, I don't really know any. I made myself a May work out challenge with myself, and I have all kinds of things that help my legs (OK there are like 7 exercises but I don't know what else to put in there lol)

I have a set of dumb bells that are 5 pounds each, what are some things ya'll would recommend to do with those that would maybe help my arms look a little more muscle-y (or just be stronger even if they still look like wings)

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

5 lb weigths are pointless for pretty much everything but cardio with weights and rotator cuff rehab.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

5 lb weigths are pointless for pretty much everything but cardio with weights and rotator cuff rehab.

5lb weights are really good for women, such as myself, who don't have much upper body strength to begin with!! I remember when the 3lb weights seemed too heavy for me after a few reps haha I like to do those chair squats to work on my arms, and a lot of yoga. Holding a yoga pose is much easier than lifting weights and if you do proper breathing can be just as effective; especially since you're using your body weight as resistance for many of the poses. Good luck!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Take your five pound weights, get down on the floor and do push ups on 'em. They'll work just fine.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    5lb weights are really good for women, such as myself, who don't have much upper body strength to begin with!! I remember when the 3lb weights seemed too heavy for me after a few reps haha I like to do those chair squats to work on my arms, and a lot of yoga. Holding a yoga pose is much easier than lifting weights and if you do proper breathing can be just as effective; especially since you're using your body weight as resistance for many of the poses. Good luck!

Yoga will not be as effective, no matter how you breathe.

The 5 lb weights aren't going to do much for you, lifting should be progressive. If you don't have access to higher weights, there are books out there that have bodyweight exercises in them, "You are Your Own Gym" being the one that comes to mind.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

A 12 pack of soda weighs about 10.5 lbs.
    A gallon of milk weighs 8 lbs.
    A small child weighs 20 lbs.

5 lb weigths are pointless. If 3-5 lb was actually hard, grocery shopping would be impossible. Actually try a little bit or don't do 1,000,000 reps.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

Oh, I used to use them to go running with cause I thought that would help my arms but they didn't do much. I don't have access to a gym but I'm going to walmart this weekend so maybe I'll buy heavier ones? Whats a good starting weight for them? I obviously can't jump straight to like 50 pounds (assuming they make dumbells that high)
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

A 12 pack of soda weighs about 10.5 lbs.
    A gallon of milk weighs 8 lbs.
    A small child weighs 20 lbs.

5 lb weigths are pointless. If 3-5 lb was actually hard, grocery shopping would be impossible. Actually try a little bit or don't do 1,000,000 reps.

Figured I'd start somewhere, but since apparently that's pointless what would be a good weight to start with? And as you can see by my ticker I've obviously been "trying a little bit" just wanted to add more to it....Hopefully I'm just misreading but that sounds kinda rude...
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Pushups are a good thing to do at home. If you can't do them on the floor, start at an incline (sofa, bed frame, cabinet) and work your way back to the floor.

As I just bought some myself, I know Wal-Mart has the dumbbell bars for sale, and then you can buy the plates to add to them. This way you don't have to invest a whole lot in multiple dumbbells.

Also kettlebells would be good. (google and youtube for exercises).

Good luck!

*edited to add - no exercise is "pointless". 5 lb weights will not get you the "muscle-y" look you are asking about, but anything is better than nothing.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

Oh, I used to use them to go running with cause I thought that would help my arms but they didn't do much. I don't have access to a gym but I'm going to walmart this weekend so maybe I'll buy heavier ones? Whats a good starting weight for them? I obviously can't jump straight to like 50 pounds (assuming they make dumbells that high)

adjustableweights.jpg

I found adjustable weights
    Mine went to 12.5lbs
    Made a difference in my arms, abs, and @$$ within 4 weeks
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options

adjustableweights.jpg

I found adjustable weights
    Mine went to 12.5lbs
    Made a difference in my arms, abs, and @$$ within 4 weeks

whoa thats cool looking! I will look at those at walmart too!
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Exercise band aand rowing :smile:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you aren't ready to lift anything then body weight exercises are the way to go!

Dips, push-ups, planks, walk outs, mountain climbers...
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that a certain poundage is pointless. Some people need to start lower than others.

As for exercises, do push-ups, planks, bicep curls
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

How about getting the adjustable weight dumbbells that you can add plates to. That way, as you progress you can just add more plates and perhaps a barbell. Start with some 2.5, 5 and 10 pound plates and you can adjust the weight accordingly for your lifts and progression. Also, check out the thrift stores and goodwill for great prices on various weights and other equipment.
  • RPerkins726
    RPerkins726 Posts: 23
    Options
    Jillian Michaels ANYTHING--start with 30 Day Shred, and another personal favorite is No More Trouble Zones. She HAMMERS your arms in No More Trouble Zones. I started with her beginner workout in August of 2012--could barely use a three pound weight for the reps and by no means able to do a "real" push up. Today, I consistently use 5 or 6 pound weights, perform full on push ups, rocky style sit ups AND can run 5 miles. She is a beast, but she delivers.

It is true--you cannot spot reduce fat, but you CAN tone the muscles and as you lose weight you'll notice definition. It's pretty amazing, really. Good luck to you! :)
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Yoga will not be as effective, no matter how you breathe.

I don't know, I've gotten really toned arms just from holding plank for a few breaths and going up into downdog back and forth a few times. Try Jillian Michaels yoga dvd and then get back to me and tell me yoga won't tone you up!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

How about getting the adjustable weight dumbbells that you can add plates to. That way, as you progress you can just add more plates and perhaps a barbell. Start with some 2.5, 5 and 10 pound plates and you can adjust the weight accordingly for your lifts and progression. Also, check out the thrift stores and goodwill for great prices on various weights and other equipment.

Definitely this.

Where I live we have a resale sporting goods store, that's where we got the majority of our weights for home. Maybe see if you have one of those locally.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Tricep kickbacks are a decent one that, to start out with, you don't need a lot of weight for
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAaKp8r1AU

I agree with using body weight for a lot of exercises, especially if you don't want to spend the money on weight sets or a gym. Tricep dips are another one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjcgfu44sI

Both of these exercises will help with those angel wings we ladies tend to have problems with.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bench press, shoulder press, push press, cleans... all heavy.... and don't you dare tell me you "don't want to get bulky"...
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My favorite arm exercises are bicep curls into an overhead press, a row where you squat and do rows with your palms facing the floor, another set where your palms are facing each other, overhead tricep press and another one where I lift my arms to shoulder height away from me (start with arms at side, holding dumbell and palms facing body and then lift arms up and out to side), not sure what that one is called. I use 8 lb weights and do three sets of 12 of each. I started with only being able to do 8-10 reps and now can do 12. Once that gets a little easier, I will move up to 10 lb weights. Most of my arm exercises I got from Jilliam Michael's 30 Day Shred video so I definitely second that suggestion. Good luck! :drinker: