Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low salt diet.

CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
edited 12:16AM in Food and Nutrition
I have just recently been put on a low salt diet. and would like to hear from you guys how you are handle this. I have congestive heart failure. would love to hear from youCaliecat

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Since I like to cook and prepare most of my own foods, I just don't use salt that much at all and if I do, I measure it accurately with a tsp. I have found using olive oil, garlic, and assortment of my favorite herbs takes care of all the flavor that I need and I don't have to be concerned over salt intake. I love absolutely love rosemary on just about anything, but also use a lot of basil, thyme, and oregano, as well as red pepper flakes and cumin. The use of lemon juice, lime juice, and balsamic vinegar are also real flavor boosters! I typically shop the perimeter of the grocery store and try to avoid the aisles (packaged foods) thus am more able to control my salt intake. It is those prepackaged foods that load you up on sodium! Good luck on your endeavor!
  • CALIECAT
    Thanks Holton. I made a taco last night and used a lot of those spices. and serve it over a bed of lettuce. I was pretty bland to me, I think I will doctor it up some today add some hot peppers flakes. Would love some of your recipes Or you afaverite.one.Caliecat
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    I have high blood pressure so also have to eat a low sodium diet. The Mrs. Dash seasonings work really well. The Chipotle Southwest is good for tacos, chili, or fajitas. There is also a "No Salt" alternative sold alongside table salt at the grocery stores, I think the scientific name for it is potassium chloride. It doesn't taste quite like salt, but gets you a little bit of that flavor. For veggies, potatoes, etc that I used to salt I just use a no calorie butter spray that only has 5mg sodium and don't feel like I even need salt. Are you currently tracking sodium in your food diary? If not, you should add it because many foods that don't "taste" salty are really packed with sodium and you can quickly go over the allotted 1500 mg (recommended for high blood pressure and I assume for your heart issues as well). Remember to stay away from processed foods, frozen dinners, fast foods, etc. The sodium in those add up fast. Great job taking action to improve your health and not letting them just stick you on meds. I pray for your continued health.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Here is a web site with spice suggestions, other than salt:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/flavor.htm
    Have fun with your new cooking ideas! :smile:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    I tend to not cook with recipes so much, or I would certainly share.
    A typical meal though would look something like this:
    either tilapia (or some other fish) or chicken breast = drizzle lightly with olive oil, a pinch (and I mean pinch) of salt or salt substitute, ground pepper, and then very liberally spread rosemary garlic seasoning over top. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes. WIth the tilapia, I then squeeze fresh lemon juice over top of it when it I serve it on my plate or have a small bowl of balsamic vinegar to dip each forkful into.

For vegetables, I typically steam them on the stovetop, then squeeze fresh lemon juice over top of them, sometimes add a small amount (tblsp depending on vegetable serving size) parmesan cheese and liberally add other herbs to taste. When I have calories to use, on occasion I will add a tsp. of unsalted butter too.

I just love fresh foods and for me, find they don't need a lot of salt. I do think our palates become adapted to having salt in our diet, and it takes a while to reprogram our tastebuds to other flavorings, so give it time! REmember you are doing this for your health!
  • crazydave01
    crazydave01 Posts: 1 Member
    When I was 36 I also was diagnosed with CHF. I was set for a heart transplant but miraculously recovered somewhat.

The first thing is what level of sodium are you allowed ? Honestly it is very easy to stick to a low sodium diet.

The next thing to do is ditch the processed foods. They all contain way too much sodium. You can still eat most all the foods you like as long as you prepare them yourself.

Look at labels. Choose the lowest sodium for everything you buy. Shop online. healthyheartmarket.com and saltwatcher.com are two great places to go. Experiment with spices to replace the missing flavor salt provides. I love hot foods so I honestly do not miss salt at all. You can make your own Mexican and Indian food with no salt and very low salt ingredients. A majority of foods I make my friends and family cant tell they have no salt.

Meats are injected with high sodium fluids to add flavor so be sure to look at labels and pick ones without the additives. Fresh fruits and vegetables are all low in sodium. Canned things are mostly out. There are low sodium choices though.

I hope this helps. The biggest thing is to read online and experiment with new foods. Get lots of exercise, the better shape you are in the better you will handle this.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I am no doctor but I can fill you in on what worked for me
  • CALIECAT
    Dave I am impress with your story. Your diet save you fom a transplant, That is some story. I am taking one day at a time. I have learned a lot on this thread
    And want to thank everyone for posting.:flowerforyou: Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    I want to thank all who reponded to this thread the other day. It has been a big help to me,
    Caliecat
  • pnwcowboy
    pnwcowboy Posts: 8
    Hey caliecat ask ur doctor about seasalt tastes better to me , and its better for u
  • CALIECAT
    How much sodium does it have? i bought some Also Salt today and it has no sodium and taste pretty good. Have not uaed it on food But plan to to night on a baked potato. Calicat
This discussion has been closed.