Who can make a Gluten-Free B-day Cake?

Options
Kaypix
Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
Anyone have any good recipes (preferably that don't taste like cardboard) for a gluten-free cake? I know gluten is what gives the cake its spongy texture, so I know the texture might be a lost cause, but I'm hoping to still make it relatively fluffy. It's my boss's birthday next Monday and I'd like to throw something together.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good recipes (preferably that don't taste like cardboard) for a gluten-free cake? I know gluten is what gives the cake its spongy texture, so I know the texture might be a lost cause, but I'm hoping to still make it relatively fluffy. It's my boss's birthday next Monday and I'd like to throw something together.

Two words. Three syllables.
    Flourless.
    Torte.

Seriously good, rich, indulgent, and no gluten. Many different types too, so google it up and see if anything trips your trigger.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Two words. Three syllables.
    Flourless.
    Torte.

Seriously good, rich, indulgent, and no gluten. Many different types too, so google it up and see if anything trips your trigger.

SO GOOD. omg my mouth is watering thinking about this.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake, either with a nut crust, or crustless.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My wife recently bought a cake mix from whole foods that was gluten free. I made it and used light chocolate whipped cream as the topping.

It wasn't bland at all and was actually really good. Too good in fact.

Be advised, gluten free cakes are still usually pretty high in calories. If you buy the cake mix variety.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/special-diets/gluten-free/desserts/cake/

Some there that I may actually try.
  • Kaypix
    Options
    My wife recently bought a cake mix from whole foods that was gluten free. I made it and used light chocolate whipped cream as the topping.

It wasn't bland at all and was actually really good. Too good in fact.

Be advised, gluten free cakes are still usually pretty high in calories. If you buy the cake mix variety.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/special-diets/gluten-free/desserts/cake/

Some there that I may actually try.

Thanks craig. My boss doesn't need to watch his calories, he's like 150 lbs soaking wet, he rides a bicycle to work every day which is like 15 miles each way, and then eats all super healthy at home (his kids are on the hefty side due to hypothyroidism so they cook extremely healthy and low fat at home). We don't have Whole Foods here but I'll see if one of my local stores carries something ....

Update: HAHAHAHA How perfect is this? I'm going to Des Moines Iowa for a wedding this weekend...they have Whole Foods, haha!
  • AmyLeeBrown
    Options
    Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake Mix. Its awesome. Seriously.
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Betty Crocker has a pretty good gluten free cake mix that you can find at almost all grocery stores. They have a yellow cake mix and chocolate. The cake will be smaller. I suggest adding a box of jello pudding mix it will make it he cake more moist. Then I just buy a canned frosting at the store, too. Just check and make sure the frosting does not have flour or MALT in the ingredients.
  • rlbs
    rlbs Posts: 14
    Options
    The best mix I have found is the King Arthur Flour gluten free. Their chocolate cake mix is awesome! The Betty Crocker is not bad, but keep in mind it only makes one layer per box. If I use it, I doctor it with pudding mix, etc. as recommended here; there are a number of recipes for this in "The Cake Mix Doctor Goes Gluten Free" cookbook. Or, a flourless chocolate torte sounds yummy! Try the website Gluten Free on a Shoestring if you want to bake a cake from scratch, I have had good luck with her recipes.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can purchase all purpose gluten-free flour from your specialty foods store or natural foods aisle & substitute it into almost any recipe. I bake from scratch so I'm not sure about the mixes but if you're short on time, I'm sure they'll be fine.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I bought a Bob's Red Mill GF cake mix for my daughter's class (3 GF kids in the class) to make cupcakes for her birthday. The texture of the mix when I added liquid was weird and gummy, and I didn't think it would bake up right. But it did, and all the 7-year olds devoured them. I didn't have extra, so I didn't get to taste one.
  • Kaypix
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm hitting the grocery store tonight, making Chocolate Chip Meringue cookies, Peanut Butter Flourless cookies (which are epic btw) and gonna try the betty crocker GF mix and also get a package of chocolate pudding to add to it. Thanks for the tips and I'll get back to you with the results on Thursday!