If I didn't eat enough yesterday...

Options
I was about 500 under my calorie goal yesterday and I was fairly active when I got home playing fetch, and chase with my dog. I did not work out because I fell asleep early...(We have someone trying to break into our house and I am emotionally drained from dealing with it). My question is if I ate under my calories yesterday, if I eat a couple hundred over today will it hurt me? We need to go grocery shopping tonight and I'm sure we will eat out so I want to be prepared.

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    That's fine, spread your calories how you wish, what matters is how you eat long term
  • brucerc311
    brucerc311 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain an overall calorie defecit over time, eating a few extra calories every now and then will not hurt. Remember, any activity burns calories, not just going to the gym!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    That's fine, spread your calories how you wish, what matters is how you eat long term

Exactly.
    I missed lunch yesterday so had a much lower day than usual. I plan to eat a little extra today. Overall deficits are what matters.
  • Alison_93
    Alison_93 Posts: 16
    Options
    Personally I use those calories and I don't feel bad about it. It happened to me on tuesday so I put the leftover calories towards my dinner out yesterday. My body is already on less calories so I'm not going to not eat the calories I am supposed to eat :smile:
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

I know with sleep you can't really make up for it... sleep a few hours one night can't be made up by sleeping longer on the weekend.

With calories, if one has about 1200 calories per day that is 8400 for the week. So if one day you have 1000 then the next you have 1400 etc. is pretty much the same as long as you don't go over 8400 for the entire week?
  • cynthiadmail
    cynthiadmail Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No matter what I do, over eat, under eat for the day before , for me each day is a new day to stay within my calories. What ever you decide its up to you. Just letting you know how I handle those situations. =)
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above, your weekly deficit will not be affected, I say go for it!
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is what I was thinking and I mean I can't weigh for a week anyways because of TOM so I say either way it would be fine. :)
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

I know with sleep you can't really make up for it... sleep a few hours one night can't be made up by sleeping longer on the weekend.

With calories, if one has about 1200 calories per day that is 8400 for the week. So if one day you have 1000 then the next you have 1400 etc. is pretty much the same as long as you don't go over 8400 for the entire week?

Correct
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One day of over-eating or under-eating isn't going to do anything....use your logic. Just like one day of eating all your veggies and fruits doesn't make you a healthy person When over or under -eating becomes routine is when it becomes problematic...just as when someone gets their fruits and veg and lean protein as a matter of routine, they will then see the health benefits.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Options
    Yeah I can see that, cwolf. I try to always eat right up to my goal without going over.
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat enough on Tuesday between going to the gym and having volleyball in the evening, and definately made up for it yesterday. So far today I am back on track....I agree that as long as you aren't over eating everyday and just not eating for a day to make up for it you should be okay!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was about 500 under my calorie goal yesterday and I was fairly active when I got home playing fetch, and chase with my dog. I did not work out because I fell asleep early...(We have someone trying to break into our house and I am emotionally drained from dealing with it). My question is if I ate under my calories yesterday, if I eat a couple hundred over today will it hurt me? We need to go grocery shopping tonight and I'm sure we will eat out so I want to be prepared.

I think for people that are pretty close to goal it's better to make up for calories missed the day or a couple of days before. Because you are laying down the foundation for the rest of your life to maintain. So, if you were already at goal you would eat those calories back because you don't actually want to lose.

But, if you are morbidly obese or even just obese, the game is a bit different I think. I am no where near close to goal so I don't think not eating back the calories would hurt me in the slightest so at this stage I don't. When I am near goal or just regular over weight then I will think more about the kinds of habits I need to work on to maintain my weight rather than focusing just on losing weight.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I set meal budgets so I can stay more-or-less within my daily calorie budget, but only worry about weekly overages/shortfalls.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Options

I think for people that are pretty close to goal it's better to make up for calories missed the day or a couple of days before. Because you are laying down the foundation for the rest of your life to maintain. So, if you were already at goal you would eat those calories back because you don't actually want to lose.

But, if you are morbidly obese or even just obese, the game is a bit different I think. I am no where near close to goal so I don't think not eating back the calories would hurt me in the slightest so at this stage I don't. When I am near goal or just regular over weight then I will think more about the kinds of habits I need to work on to maintain my weight rather than focusing just on losing weight.

I am in the regular over weight range. But I am going to eat about 250 back and leave the other half...I think it's a good compromise.