DO you do leg days and arm days?

I just recently started to strength train again and yesterday I did legs,abs,and arms… My question is if I should keep these separate ?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I weight train 3 times each week and I work full body each time (as per the instructions in NROLFW). I see no reason to separate them...or to isolate them.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    As long as you have a rest day in between, you can do full body weights. Only reason to separate them is if you are doing days back to back, then you don't want to work the same muscles both times.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Full body workouts are ideal for beginners, just make sure to have 24-48 hours rest between workouts.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Before an injury took me away from my routine, my personal trainer had me follow a schedule;
    Monday-arms/chest
    Tuesday-cardio
    Wednesday-legs/ back/ abs
    Thursday- off day
    Friday-cardio
    and start over again.

Of course i didn't have to adhere to the days, he just wanted me to follow the program and then each month switch it up to confuse my muscles because after a while your muscles get used to a certain routine and they get bored and lazy.

In the end it is up to the individual to do what they feel comfortable with.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Any routine you stick to is better than one you burn out on or give up on. So in that context, do whatever you're most apt to stick with.

Any routine you bust your *kitten* during is better than one you half-*kitten* your way through. So in that context, do whatever you're going to work the hardest during.

With that said, most people new to lifting will see the biggest gains doing full body workouts focused on compound lifts 3 times per week. Something like bench press, rows, overhead press, squats and deadlifts Mon/Wed/Fri.
  • jmtfirewife
    jmtfirewife Posts: 4 Member
    I was doing full body each day along with Cardio and was suffering extreme fatigue and pain. Now I do cardio daily and rotate Abs, Upper Body, and Lower Body in 3 day rotations. I don't have the fatigue or pain anymore and find my workouts much better. I don't really like to miss days so I just rotate and do one day of rest a week.