going over on calories?

in the long run, would going over 100-200 calories do much harm if you're not doing exercise on the day which you've gone over?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    No, providing it is not every day or you will perhaps gain weight, or lose more slowly
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're using the MFP method, you're supposed to eat back exercise calories anyway...if anything, you'll benefit by not stalling out your metabolism with an overly aggressive calorie deficit.

Your calorie goal has a weight loss deficit built in...it's not maintenance. If you set to lose 2 Lbs per week, you have an 800-1000 calorie deficit built into your calorie goal...100 or 200 calories even without exercise and you're still in a significant calorie deficit.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    If going over occurs once and a while, it's not a big deal. If you go over consistently, then how much "harm" that is done depends on how much of a deficit you're eat at. If you're eating at a little to no deficit, then those 1-200 cals per day are going to in the long run make you gain or keep you steady. If you're eating at an appropriate deficit, then you'll lose slower.
  • MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    No.

I'm on Weight Watchers but I also count calories using MFP. My calorie intake varies daily and I think it works better for me then sticking to X amount of calories every day. My calorie could vary as much as 500 calories a day.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    One day is not going to break what you are doing, especially if its only 100 calories over. No worries.
  • GCanha
    GCanha Posts: 66 Member
    Going slightly over is ok- the key is listening to your body. You will learn to recognize the signs that you haven't eaten sufficiently- regardless of how many calories you've had. In those cases, opt for a healthy snack and if you go over, it won't impact you negatively.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    If you are otherwise eating at more than a 100-200 calorie deficit, it will just slow your rate of weight loss. If you are at maintenance and doing it every day...well, that's how people gain 10 pounds a year.