What does cauliflower mash taste like?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• krion2001
    krion2001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love it! I tend to overcook / steam it ( I know, there goes all the nutritional value) but it does mash up a little better. I skip the butter and add chicken broth,salt and lots of pepper, fresh garlic, chopped spinach, Parmesan cheese. With the addition of the garlic and spinach, my family forgets that it is cauliflower. ( I used to always make garlic spinach mashed taters.) FYI, If you have a potato ricer, that works great, but I just use my immersion blender or food processor.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but for those of you that like it, here's another way to use cauliflower as a substitute for popcorn that you might like:
    http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/food-to-eat/nutrition/low-carb-snacks-for-diabetes/?page=3
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't like it. I'll put in extra exercise or just work it into my nutritional goals. I'm a big fan lately of Colcannon which is basically mashed potatoes with Cabbage mixed in (better than it sounds)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I don't mind cauliflower, but I'm not planning to mash it again. It tastes like hot, wet, lettuce.
    Perhaps it's better if you have a food processor (I don't), but just mashed (with seasonings)? Um, no thank you. I'll just eat it as cauliflower.
  • ciarabrennan7
    ciarabrennan7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tastes sooo good. I love it!

I also used the mash to make cauliflower frittatas (sp?) they are delish!!
  • Kalere
    Kalere Posts: 19
    Options
    Believe it or not, cauliflower mash does taste like mashed potatoes! Of course, it might just be my mind and taste buds playing games with me...
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It tastes like mashed cauliflower all done up to TRY to taste like mashed potatoes. It fails miserably.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My wife tried to trick me with that **** once...she is now banned from the kitchen. It tastes like cauliflower...only mashed, how else would it taste.

Also, nothing wrong with potatoes...they're a decent source of protein for a vegetable and an excellent source of potassium as well as other vitamins and minerals. All during my weight loss I ate potatoes...about 4 times per week in fact.
  • courtneyprudhomme
    Options
    i put almond milk, salt, pepper, and garlic and put it my food processor.. fam loves it .. kids thought it was mashed potatoes.. and hubby hates regular cauliflower but likes the the mash..

The issue with real mashed potatoes is the glycemic index and the fact that simple carbs turn to sugar ..
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mash surprisingly tastes of cauliflower
  • RosaliaMarie
    Options
    Cauliflower, of course. But not really. I cook mine very well done drain it and mash with a little Laughing Cow cheese & salt, and I'm good to go. I do let mine dry out over the heat before I mash it otherwise it seems too moist for me.

You can use any seasoning you prefer.
  • ChristinaSabbagh1
    ChristinaSabbagh1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tastes like cauliflower, which is a bit bland.. but try adding garlic and paprika and chopped parsley (or any herb really) and it can be transformed :) I've had cauliflower rice, which is basically raw cauliflower blitzed down then cooked in a pan with a tsp of organic virgin coconut oil and whatever herbs and spices you like...mmmm.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh - i have a recipe for a cauliflower & broccoli mash.. AMAZING!!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Tastes like skunk barf. Not even the dog will eat it.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I would imaging it tastes like....

wait for it.....

Cauliflower.

Just a wild guess.

This. lol
    It tastes just like cauliflower, but you can add spices etc into it, or you can also do part cauliflower part potato if you don't love cauliflower.
  • dklw
    dklw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try roasting cauliflower instead in the oven tossed with a little olive oil, salt and any other seasoning you like. Much better than steamed!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It taste like ****. Sorry, I hate cauliflower, lol. I did try the cauliflower pizza crust/pizza bites and like that though. The taste of cauliflower was cleverly masked.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed cauliflower and I made it last night for dinner:) The trick to making it taste MORE (wont taste EXACTLY like potatoes) like mashed potatoes is a little cream cheese and plain greek yogurt mixed in with salt and pepper. I make it all the time and my 2 and 5 year olds eat it like it is candy. My 5 year old who is becoming picker about the things she eats asked for 3rds last night of "mashed potatoes" She does not even know it is cauliflower:)
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Lovely :bigsmile:
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yummy. I do it with butter, garlic, black pepper. I use broth to steam it (chicken, veg --whatever I have). I don't cut out foods so I can't say it's a replacement for mashed potatoes the end. BUT it's yummy. I DEFINITELY would season it, I wouldn't just boil it and mash it (that's baby food!) but it can be tasty, for sure! If you don't love cooked cauliflower this probably won't help you any. If that's the case I would roast it. That changes the flavor.