Heavy lifting

Options
I have cut my body fat from 21% to about 17% in the last couple weeks eating at a calorie deficit and lifting heavy. I am about 175 pounds, 5'8. I have a fair amount of lean muscle, about 147 pounds. I would like to start adding on some muscle and then do another cut if necessary. Most of my fat is around the tummy and in legs but it does' like horrible, in fact I can see four of my abs.

Was gonna do Body Beast from Beach body which is the old school body building. Most of my calories will come from foods, not gainers. I eat only the whole wheat stuff with lean meats. 5-8 meals a day. Using the supplement whey 100% gold standard. Will add some nuttela maybe some Oates if I need to to make it gainer. However I was wondering if eating only the healthy and not a bunch of crap juts for weight if I could add lean muscle without a bunch of fat. Was also wondering if at the same time the calories would go to muscle building and not fat making and I would also be able to burn some fat as well. I knw the whole logic about eat more to gain, eat less to lose, but just wondering.

Thinking of going around 300 carbs, 200 grams of protein, and 100 grams of healthy fats. Does that sound ok? Thanks for any help provided BTW I don't wana bulk a whole lot, no more than 5 pounds of muscle. Don't wana look short and stucky cause am not that tall.

Taking Arginine and Ornithine, Alive once a day men's vitamin. No sugary stuff, no lose cars, pure healthy. Thanks

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. You provided a lot of good information about yourself and your fitness goals.

It sounds like I'm the 5'2" version of you. I just finished a cut, so my bf is closer to 13-14%, but much of what you said is applicable to me.

I think your macro ratio is pretty good for a bulk. Your fat might be slightly high, and your carbs are a bit low.

A Slow Bulk (build muscle and fat, slowly) might be more like this: 3000-3200 calories, 200-220g protein, 350-400g carbs, 80-100g fat ... I use a couple of calculators online to help give me this information. With rest days, you'd eat a little less (2700-2900 calories, 175-200g protein, 300-350g carbs, 75-90g fat).

The thing to keep in mind is that it's more than just a calorie surplus (to build muscle), but fueling workouts that will gradually get more intense. So you not only need the resources to build the muscle, but to fuel the body into the processes of making the muscle. I hope this is of some help! Maybe someone else with a bit more experience can fine-tune these numbers?