Increase Protein...

Options
mrydavis
mrydavis Posts: 32 Member
I'm trying to increase my protein, but I always seem to be way under. I eat meat with lunch and dinner and usually my breakfast has greek yogurt or peanut butter. I thought about getting a protein supplement, but so many of them have a ton of carbs! Any ideas? I don't eat fish (I don't like it in any way shape or form and the smell makes me nauseous) so please don't tell me to include fish in my diet lol.

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    none of my protein supplements have more than 2g of carbs
  • mrydavis
    mrydavis Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What kinds do you use/suggest? I've looked at a few at the store and most of them have over 20. Granted, this hasn't been at stores known for fitness products. I also have to keep in mind allergies because I'm allergic to many synthesized or artificial products. Do you use whey or another kind? I feel so lost when I look at them, haha like I'm reading a foreign language. I just need some direction :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Hard to comment without seeing your diary.

But for protein supplements just make sure it is whey protein.

Powders: Jay Robb and Pure Protein

Bars: Pure Protein

Shakes: Premier Protein, Muscle Milk Light!!

Best of Luck!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Add granola to your yogurt
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I use dymatize iso 100 and I think the carbs are at 3-4 grams per serving (and carbs aren't bad you know!)

Cottage cheese / 30 grams for 1 cup
    Egg whites / 26 grams for 1 cup
    Chicken / 8 oz 60-70 grams
  • km5dx
    km5dx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions:

Greek Yogurt, Egg Whites (Egg beaters etc), low fat cheeses (generally hard cheeses)...

For Protein supplements, I like Dymatize Elite which is a bit pricey but I find it very helpful in controlling hunger. I make a shake with about 6oz of skim milk, a Greek yogurt, protein powder, and some ice after a hard workout and it helps stop me from wanting to eat everything in sight....
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My protein staples are:

3-4 eggs
    a can of tuna
    a chicken breast
    3/4 cup of cottage cheese
    Pure Protein bars
    Quest Bars
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey

My protein snacks are:

Beef Jerkey
    Cheese Strings
    A hard boiled egg

Here's the whey powder I use... http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    100% egg white protein
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is a pretty popular protein powder (and I like the taste) it has 3 g.

I don't really consider peanut butter a protein source, its more fat.

On top of other suggestions already made - I make turkey meat loaf cupcakes for snacks. Even cut up chicken can be a snack.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I cant remember the one I used that was super low it might have been Dymatize but the one im using now is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/cytosport-muscle-milk-cookies-n-cream-powder-38281711

Its 9g of carbs still pretty low. Carbs arent bad.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love whey protein.
    What about cottage cheese or eggs?
  • wildfirediva
    wildfirediva Posts: 212
    Options
    2 of my recent favorites are:

BlueBonnet Dual Action Protein Powder - Quality Natural Whey + Casein
    Made from cows not treated with hormones etc. It only has about 3g of carbs and 27g of protein per scoop. Stevia sweetened but I usually add a bit more.

http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/323/100%_Natural_Dual_Action_Protein_Powder

I also alternate in a Vegan powder mostly because of the quantity of BCAAs present (which assist with muscle recovery and maintenance):

PlantFusion (Chocolate is my favorite) - The texture comes off a bit chalky to some but I am not too hung up on texture.
    It only has about 3g of carbs and 23g of protein per serving. Stevia sweetened but I don't have to add more as I do the one above.

http://plantfusion.us/

I mix both with almond milk and usually doctor both up with a little cinnamon and cardamon (mostly for flavor but they have many health benefits too) .

Generally I take one in the morning, eat my meats, veggies, greek yogurt, eggs etc. for lunch and dinner and often have one shake before AND after a work out (is what I am trying to fit in currently). I have been personally trying to get 40% of my Macros as protein and that puts me at about 120+ g a day. It can get tough, but over all strive to get no less than 100g/day.

You can order both on AMAZON which is often cheaper than getting them at my local chain health food store.
  • TMcSter
    TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm always under my protein too. These suggestions are great.
  • Renee2817
    Renee2817 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Unjury protein is excellent, 21 grams protein.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13002299

I use Giant Sports brand. I like the cookies & creme and vanilla flavors best. The chocolate tastes nice like cocoa powder. I usually mix 1/2 scoop in with my oatmeal in the morning.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    reflex instant whey or optimum nutrition 100% whey
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me so you can see my food diary. i hit my protein numbers without shakes/bars...i'm not against them, i just haven't had to use them. be careful with low carb protein powders since they use artificial sweetners, hence the low carb. not everyone cares about that, but just in case you do. :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You eat less than a portion at any given meal.. to my knowledge 2.5 oz is less than 1 serving size... I make tuna salad with greek yogurt, tuna, curry powder, and whatever diced veggies you enjoy.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hard to comment without seeing your diary.

But for protein supplements just make sure it is whey protein.

Powders: Jay Robb and Pure Protein

Bars: Pure Protein

Shakes: Premier Protein, Muscle Milk Light!!

Best of Luck!!
    This!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and fish are very high in protein... maybe try adding in more of those...