Question about calories for a big girl

Options
Hi! I'm a 5'7 female who currently is around 302 lbs. Yeah, just a few lbs short of my HW. I've heard that it's ok for us "morbidly obese" girls to eat 1200-1300 calories because starvation mode is only an issue when you're closer to your goal weight.

So, my question, has anyone else been up at my weight, and, if so, have you lost weight at 1200-1400 calories, or do you try and stick with what MFP recommends? Thanks for all of your advice!

Replies

• lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i was at 282lb im now down to 192lb i always stuck to 1200 cal diet unless i did any workouts then i would eat more x i feel fine i would let ur doctor know what your doing so he can monitor you thats what i did x

also 1200 cals eating burgers chips and pies will mean less food

i eat alot of beans veggies fruits wholewheat pasta ect and i can eat alot more this way x i have gone up to 1400 and still seen weight loss good luck!

ps ur lucky ur 5,7 im 5,3 lol ...
  • Ebirtles123
    Ebirtles123 Posts: 25
    Options
    i am 225 lbs and i am allowed 1,460 calories per day to lose an average 2lbs per week and i fine this ok , i usually get full and use them all and try and save a few for snacks etc . Good luck :)
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was close to your weight. I was 291 and since starting MFP I have only had 1280 calories a day. I eat that (maybe more w/exercise) and I am losing weight. You can add me to look at my diary. My eating isnt the best BUT it is whats working for me at this time. Good Luck on your journey :-)
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    This is definitely not the case....yeah you'll lose weight fast in the beginning, but then you will plateau. You will mess your body's metabolism up by doing this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

check ^^ this link out to get you started.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you.

I was 266 lbs. when I started MFP. The doctor told me to eat 1200 calories, and he gave me a script for Phentermine pills. I dropped about 15 lbs. the first month, and then I hit a brick wall. Nothing. So, I bumped my calories to 1400 and I started losing .2 here and .4 there. I went up to 1600 calories, and started losing 2-3 lbs. per week. I also stopped taking the Phentermine. I didn't really need it.

Now, I like fluctuating my calories between 1200-1500 on non-fasting days. On my fasting days, I may go as low as 500 calories the morning before I begin fasting at noon until noon the next day. Sometimes I'm able to eat 1,000 that day. Doesn't really matter. What I pay more attention to is weekly calories. I aim for a 3,500 calorie deficit based on my TDEE. Sometimes, I'm double that or more. If that's the case, I might take one day out of the weekend and go over my daily calories (essentially using 200-500 weekly calories for a fantastic meal).

Personally (I speak for no one's body but my own), I'm fine with a few low calorie days every week. It's when I'm consistently around 1200 calories everyday week after week that I begin having trouble. So, I've just learned to mix it up.

(Oh, and it's important to note that a person's metabolism isn't the frail, little, shivering weakling you might think it is. There are two main factors that contribute to your metabolism and that's 1.) Your current weight and 2.) Your activity level. The more you weigh, the faster your metabolism. That's why when people lose a lot of weight, it gets harder for them to lose as fast as they once did. I used to believe all the hype about certain foods raising or lowing metabolism, and starvation mode. There have been studies done on both men and women that have proven that even after a 72 hour fast ---no food whatsoever--- there was NO change in metabolism. Zero. So feel free to play around with your caloric intake and do what feels right for you.)
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    This is definitely not the case....yeah you'll lose weight fast in the beginning, but then you will plateau. You will mess your body's metabolism up by doing this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

she should talk to her doctor i did and he said 1200 was fine for my lifestyle especially back when i was 282lb i could barely walk the length of myself the doctor will give her the best advice and moniter her
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't do that, you will lose a lot of weight to start off with because of the sudden change in eating. Follow the in place of a road map thing someone will link.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I will not go on and on about how eating too little will screw up your metabolism and lower your RMR/BMR, resulting in a lower caloric need and eventually a plateau - even though it is true.

So, I suggest you start at 1500 and eat back exercise calories. It is probably still too little, but better than 1200.

I know it is frustrating - waiting for the weight to come off - but slow and steady is really the best way to accomplish the loss as well as set yourself up for success for the rest of your life. Take your time to learn better habits and the weight will come off and you can keep it off forever. (It took me 2 years to lose 75 pounds - but keeping it off is not big deal anymore).

Best of luck to you!
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

she should talk to her doctor i did and he said 1200 was fine for my lifestyle especially back when i was 282lb i could barely walk the length of myself the doctor will give her the best advice and moniter her

I was 315 lbs I was eating more than 1200 and losing 2-3 lbs a week consistently. I was just stating that yes she'll lose weight, but is not going to sustain that weight loss unless she continues to eat at 1200 calories for the rest of her life. Even then she might not continue to lose.

Also, unless her doctor is a dietician he/she is not really the best doctor to be talking to as in reference on what her diet should be.
  • katrinaevening
    katrinaevening Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions!! Maybe I'll try to up it to 1500. It's just soooooo tempting to try and knock out as much weight as quick as possible (at this weight, the first 20-40 lbs should come off mighty quick).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I will not go on and on about how eating too little will screw up your metabolism and lower your RMR/BMR, resulting in a lower caloric need and eventually a plateau - even though it is true.

So, I suggest you start at 1500 and eat back exercise calories. It is probably still too little, but better than 1200.

I know it is frustrating - waiting for the weight to come off - but slow and steady is really the best way to accomplish the loss as well as set yourself up for success for the rest of your life. Take your time to learn better habits and the weight will come off and you can keep it off forever. (It took me 2 years to lose 75 pounds - but keeping it off is not big deal anymore).

Best of luck to you!

I would agree with this.

Also, take into consideration that if you under eat, you are more likely to binge and hurt progress. Sometimes going less aggressive is better from a psychological standpoint. If you search the boards, you will see tons of threads of women eating 1200 calories and plateauing. Some do it fairly quickly, some it could take awhile. But I rather do what I can upfront to prevent a plateau and a slightly smaller deficit can accomplish that. But if you do eat low calories, try to get a lot of the calories from protein and fats, as well as veggies and fruits as it will provide the most macro and micronutrients to maintain a healthy body.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Will you lose weight? Yes. Can you stay sane at 1200 calories? Maybe, that depends on you. I tried, it just wasn't enough for me. Im much happier eating at what MFP recommends. Ive learned when I try to rush things, I get burned. Give it a go, you will know in matter of days if you can keep it up or not.
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    im small build 5,3 and 1200 cals does me 2 years ive been on this diet i wasnt a big eater before i just ate alot of rubbish so i find now i can eat more x my doctor might not be a dietician but he thinks its great my blood pressures gone down and from eating healthier i dont have trouble with my ibs which use to see me doubled over in pain oh and my physio is a happy bunny too i eat when im hungry and the weight didnt fly off me 90 lb in 2 years
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I found that if I ate less than 1325 a day, I'd plateau for weeks on end. We're all different, so you need to be prepared to shift gears if what you're doing doesn't work.
  • bjshores
    bjshores Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions!! Maybe I'll try to up it to 1500. It's just soooooo tempting to try and knock out as much weight as quick as possible (at this weight, the first 20-40 lbs should come off mighty quick).

The first 20 will come off in a month or two. It's keeping it going that's hard. There are many studies out there that suggest you should consume more calories to lose weight. It comes off slower, but it is an easier process. I would only suggest that if you're making a lifestyle change and not on a diet. It all depends on your lifestyle as well. What MFP sets for you, is just a tool or a starting point. Just remember food is fuel and it takes the body about three hours to burn through it. So eat every 2-3 hours, and pay attention to what you're consuming.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

^^^^^ this - I started at 320 lbs - ate around 1500, and around 50% of my exercise calories.....lost close on 2 lbs a week for the first year, and still hit a huge plateau after I had lost a 100lbs.....

I now eat 2000cals a day, and slowly losing the last 30lbs.....

Please don't start at 1200 - it gives you nowhere to go!!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I know that feeling very well. I'll definitely tell you, It took about 40 lbs. down before I started getting comments from people like, "OMG! Where did you go?! You don't even look like the same person!!" ---The truth is, the more you weigh, the more you really have to lose before people start noticing. It can be discouraging. I'm now 220.6 lbs. down from 266. I weigh less now than I did at 24 years old, and I'll be celebrating my 31st birthday at the end of this month.

Even if you have a bad day, just pick up and move on. Even if you gain, just fix your eating habits and wait it out. The scale will slowly come back down. Maybe it takes a week or two. So what? You have the rest of your entire life to figure this out. The most important part is to make tracking your food habit. Habit means you don't NEED motivation. It's just how you live...naturally. That comes with time and being diligent. You can do this, girl! I have all the faith in the world that you can make this change.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Short term low calorie diets have some benefit, but for long time success are not good. It's best to cut calories slowly because dieting for extremely long periods can slow the metabolism. I know this from experience... I would stay the same weight or go up eating less calories and less. I walked my calories back up to 2100 and I started losing weight again.
  • katrinaevening
    katrinaevening Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

^^^^^ this - I started at 320 lbs - ate around 1500, and around 50% of my exercise calories.....lost close on 2 lbs a week for the first year, and still hit a huge plateau after I had lost a 100lbs.....

I now eat 2000cals a day, and slowly losing the last 30lbs.....

Please don't start at 1200 - it gives you nowhere to go!!

HOLY CRAP! Great Job! I like that. 1500 + half of my exercise cal's!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:
    I have been on MFP actively since Christmas 2011. I was 220 lbs (roughly) and I am 5 6 1/2" - nearly 62 yo now - was 60 when I started seriously. I was a member of MFP for about 6 months and didn't do anything until I had my "moment". So not morbidly obese, but obese.

The thing that seems to come across again and again is to eat enough calories, eat healthy choices so you get more food for your calorie spend (eg a fast food choice will give you calories but if you chose "healthier" foods you would get to eat way more, and better for you).

Get some activity - being big means if you walk you are burning a lot more calories than a smaller person. You don't have to kill yourself, just get moving, weights seem to be a huge help.

Focus on change and you will get results - focus on results and not change - and you won't get what you want.

It took a long time for that weight to pile on and it will take a long time for it to come off. Don't be in a rush - change one thing a day and stick with it, habits take a while to establish AND break. Just take every day and be the best you can, and stick with it. Log religiously, gather some helpful friends, read the success stories.

I never believed I could be slim again - I love MFP :heart:

I see someone has referred you to the In Place of a road map - great advice. This is another good link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Good luck :flowerforyou: