Running at 10:30pm

Options
RieBerg
RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
How inconsiderate do you think it is to run on treadmill on top floor with neighbors below you at 10:30pm for 30 minutes? There is just no other time to do it on Thursdays, but I could just plan it out so I skip Thursdays. What would you do?

Replies

• AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How inconsiderate do you think it is to run on treadmill on top floor with neighbors below you at 10:30pm for 30 minutes? There is just no other time to do it on Thursdays, but I could just plan it out so I skip Thursdays. What would you do?

I'd try it until they said it was bothering them and then maybe run twice on either the day before or day after or just skip it
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If we lived underneath you, we would complain right away. My husband has to get up for work at 3AM so he is never up past 9pm. Just saying that 10:30 is pretty late.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Why not ask your downstairs neighbours if it bothers them (or if it would bother them). The worst they can do is say that it will, in which case you'll have to skip Thursdays, but they'll probably appreciate you asking and might even be able to tell you to go ahead, since they don't get in from the pub, work, ball-room dance class, etc. until 11:15 :happy:
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Check your lease.... If the lease does not exclude it specifically then i suggestknow you might give it a shot to see if you get any complaints. I know this sounds bad but I think we need to be a little self centered to get in shape. Good luck!! :)
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Additional info: the neighbors are retirees, and one time they told us to please walk "quieter"
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run outside?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Additional info: the neighbors are retirees, and one time they told us to please walk "quieter"

Yeah I'm guessing it won't go over well. Like someone else said, it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options

Yeah I'm guessing it won't go over well. Like someone else said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

We have curtousy hours in my apartment buidling from 9 pm to 7 am. I would check with them but I doubt they will say yes. Do you have a gym in your complex that he can use instead?
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I work night shifts so I can relate. Ya One time I was doing a Tapout workout video and there was a large deal of jumping up and down. I heard a broom stick hit the ceiling and that was my clue to bring my laptop downstairs to the apartment gym in future jumping related videos. I do the non jumping ones on my apt. and the others in apt. gym. It is tough but being a good neighbor is important.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Do you have a community gym with treadmills? I know I'd be annoyed if my neighbor ran on the treadmill that late but it couldn't hurt to ask them.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    I would do that one run outside, honestly. I hate running outside most of the time, but I think it'd probably be worth it.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also no matter the time of day it is nice to check with your neighbors. On work days I sleep from 8am-4pm.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential - so I say make Thursday your rest day (plus you should take another one)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential - so I say make Thursday your rest day (plus you should take another one)

There is no hard and fast rule that says you should take two rest days per week. Some people need more, some people need less. Depends on the level of fitness and what the body can handle.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why not ask your downstairs neighbours if it bothers them (or if it would bother them). The worst they can do is say that it will, in which case you'll have to skip Thursdays, but they'll probably appreciate you asking and might even be able to tell you to go ahead, since they don't get in from the pub, work, ball-room dance class, etc. until 11:15 :happy:

I agree with this suggestion. Go talk to the neighbors. If they have to get up a 5 am, they might now appreciate it.
  • mollygoldsmith
    mollygoldsmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say it's your place and your treadmill, so you should use it whenever you want to!! :)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    10:30 is too late to make noise....you know that. Be a good neighbor.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The fact you are asking means you know it's wrong. Run outside or use it as a rest day.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    ask your neighbour to let you know if it bothers them. :)
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would treat Thursday as a rest day. It's unlikely that your neighbors will want you using the treadmill that late at night.