Air-popped vs. oil-popped popcorn

Options
2»

Replies

• aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Here: super easy directions to making popcorn, without oil, on the stove.

http://theveganronin.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/oil-free-perfectly-popped-popcorn/

...but in the meantime. thank you!
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

otherwise, for air-popped in the microwave you can just put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a small brown paper bag, fold the top down and put in there on 'high' for 3-4 minutes.

I do something similar and it's delicious. I take a small brown paper bag, fold the top down twice (because at some point it tips over and I want to be sure the kernels stay in). For my microwave, I use a 1/4 c. of corn and it only takes about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes to finish. I then hit it with some cooking spray, touch of salt and some nutritional yeast. YUM!!!! I reuse the paper bag so it's better for the environment, the kernels are better for my budget than commercially bagged microwave popcorn, it's nice to control the ingredients myself so it's WAY lower calorie and the minimal packaging is better for my shelf space. It's all-around great!

I log all of the ingredients individually in MFP. You could also just create a "recipe" so that you wouldn't have to do that each time. I prefer this over an air popper in part because I have limited counter space. Also, the air popper seems like an unnecessary expense even if it's cheap. You can get a small microwave on Craisglist for a similar price and it can perform multiple functions.
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm on my second air popper. I wore the first one out after 15 years of being used at least 3-4 times a week. I top it with spray butter like Parkay, I Can't Believe it's Not Butter or Kernel Season's Butter Popcorn Spritzer all are ZERO calories. Delish treat!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second air popper. I wore the first one out after 15 years of being used at least 3-4 times a week. I top it with spray butter like Parkay, I Can't Believe it's Not Butter or Kernel Season's Butter Popcorn Spritzer all are ZERO calories. Delish treat!!!

I don't mean to take this off topic, but I just went to Jillian Michael's speaking tour on Wednesday. She was saying that she used to be obsessed with the I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray until she spoke with the company and found out that it's 1200 calories per bottle! It says zero calories per 1.25 spray (she made a joke about this of course) but it's actually .9 calories and they are allowed to round down on the Nutrition Info.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I don't mean to take this off topic, but I just went to Jillian Michael's speaking tour on Wednesday. She was saying that she used to be obsessed with the I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray until she spoke with the company and found out that it's 1200 calories per bottle! It says zero calories per 1.25 spray (she made a joke about this of course) but it's actually .9 calories and they are allowed to round down on the Nutrition Info.

eeeek I swear by that crap and most likely use a bottle a week (maybe an exaggeration..maybe not lol) ouch! I am so checking into this and tracking the crap from now on :(
  • wildfirediva
    wildfirediva Posts: 212
    Options
    OIL POPPED all the way. I pop in a few different good for you oils depending on my mood like garlic infused avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee, grapeseed oil.

I build it as a "recipe" in MFP and stay relatively consistent each time with my recipe. But I have tracked the popcorn and oil separately too.

I will sometimes add a light sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast or a seasoned spice blend from Penzey's or Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning for a twist on occasion.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I pop mine on the stove also with some oil in a large pot, so easy and great.
    I would just divide the amount or servings of popcorn you made and do the same for the oil. since it should distribute evenly while it cooks.
    Yum, will make some tonight
  • EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    otherwise, for air-popped in the microwave you can just put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a small brown paper bag, fold the top down and put in there on 'high' for 3-4 minutes.

This is how I make my popcorn all the time now, and it works very well. I usually top it with a little melted butter and some salt to taste. One brown lunch bag makes a pretty large portion.

I would recommend using a little scotch tape to seal the top though, as sometimes the kernels will pop the bag open during popping and get all over your microwave.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    for air-popped in the microwave you can just put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a small brown paper bag, fold the top down and put in there on 'high' for 3-4 minutes.

Any alternative to the brown paper bag? Can you use lidded tupperware for example or a microwave safe bowl covered with cling film?
  • juhoo
    juhoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Just bought an air popper.

I love it and it never misses a kernal

What kind did you get? I have an Orville Redenbacher. It works pretty well, but you have to tilt it back so the kernals don't get spit out when it's popping, and after popping 1/2 cup there seems to be at least 1.5 tablespoons of kernals leftover.

I have a cuisineart