I have no stove or oven- what can I eat???

Options
I do however have a toaster oven, an egg frier and a microwave! I am currently subletting a friends place for a month as I have been out of the country for the past 4 months and needed a place to stay, but he has no stove!!!! I want to continue eating well but need some ideas for making satisfying meals that do not require an oven or stove.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Tanya

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Invest in a small crock pot? :smile:
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    Microwaved omlet.
    3-4 eggs beaten. Add some salt, 1/2 oz of reduced fat cheese, maybe a few slices of turkey. Microwave for 3 minutes. No oil needed!

:wink:
    I do that often. Very fast and convenient!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of healthy meal entrees that can be prepared by microwave and of course there are the different veggie steamers for the microwave. :) I usually make a big sandwich and have lots of fruit with it if I don't feel like dealing with stoves and actually cooking something.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I use a toaster oven to make great roasted veggies. I was never a veggie eater until I tried this. Now, I love them! Eating a plate of veggies works well for stopping the munchies before they can get started. I usually start dinner with them and sometimes have them in the afternoon.

Here's what I do:

Preheat to 475 (higher or lower depending on your oven)

Prep veggies and coat them with a little olive oil (I use a Misto sprayer. It works equally well to put them in a plastic bag with a teaspoon of oil, and shake them, or, what I used to do, put them in a bowl with 1 t of oil and toss them with a couple of spoons.)

Place in broiler pan.

Salt to taste.

Bake:

10 minutes (or less) - asparagus (should be green, crisp, and tender - never stringy (that means you've overcooked)), zucchini or summer squash, etc.

15 minutes - bella mushrooms, mini peppers, broccoli, onions, etc.

30 minutes - cubed butternut squash (delish with a teaspoon of real maple syrup drizzled over), sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, red potatoes, etc.

Hope this works for you.

If you're into investing in an electric griddle, you can also make healthy wraps (really more sandwiches). I use whole wheat lavash or Tia Rosa whole wheat tortillas, 1 oz of Honey-Smoked salmon (hot-smoked, not lox), 1 oz feta cheese, 1 campari tomato, (basil / spinach / avocado optional). I grill the lavash or tortilla on one side until slightly brown, turn it over, put the feta and diced tomatoes on it, let the cheese melt a little, then put every thing else on top, fold it, and eat. Yum. And healthy!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Invest in a small crock pot? :smile:
    And maybe a george forman grill (we have beach hamilton version). Love to cook stews, pulled pork, bbq ckn or pork ribs, and ckn or pork w/different soups. The grill you can do steak, ckn, pork chops, fish.... it's endless! We very rarely use our over anymore because of these two appliances! Cooktop only for heating up veggies, and ground meat.
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying a grilled veggie sandwich on whole wheat pita. It's simple enough to make in a toaster oven.

I use:
    sliced red and green bell peppers
    zuccini
    red onion
    small amount of hoisin sauce
    non-dairy cheese
    sliced carrots
    minced garlic
    pickle slices
    tomato slices

take one pita pocket and tear it open so that you have two separate slices. Spread 1tbsp of hoisin sauce on them ( that's 1 tbsp total). Splice one slice of non-dairy cheese between the pita slices. Layer bell peppers, zuccini, onion, and carrots and sprinkle small amount of mined garlic over veggies. Allow this to bake in toaster oven until pita is slightly tosted, cheese is melted, and veggies are warm/hot. Top with sliced pickles and tomatoes. Enjoy.

I can't offer you an exact cooking time because I usually grill my veggie, but I'm sure they will be just as good, if not better, toasted.

All-in-all this is just over 200 kcalories and very filing, but feel free to try different veggies. It's all about what you like to eat. :happy:
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know salads get old but I am a HUGE fan of salads now. Use romaine or green lettuce (I steer clear of iceberg since it's essentially tasteless), add in mushrooms, shredded carrots, tomatoes, avocado (just a 1/4 of one) and I also add Craisins, Feta cheese and a fat free dressing. You can make the salad in advance and I put it in ziploc bags in individual serving sizes so it's easy to grab-and-go.

You can also use the green lettuce, a serving of warm black beans, a serving of Tostitos multi-grain tortilla chips, low-fat sour cream, cheese, tomatoes and avocado to make a quick and easy taco salad!

A large salad with one of the Stouffer's single-size lasagnas (microwaveable) is a great dinner option!
  • tairui2009
    tairui2009 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker, one that has a steamer top (generally around $25)... you can cook anything in those.

Tara
  • groovegoddess
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great ideas! I was thinking of investing in a grill but would rather eat out once in a while for my main cooked meals I think.. But I will try the grilled veggies, the tortilla salad and the wraps! Going to do my groceries now!

Thanks!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bumpin' for the great idea
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    You can use the microwave to cook up some old-fashioned oats. I like to use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring up to do that so it doesn't spill over.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You guys have awesome ideas!
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My stove is pretty much "untouched" (minus the mail that gets stacked on it each day. I do use my small G. Forman grill and an electric griddle. I find that, when cooking chicken breast, the griddle doesn't dry it out like the Forman can. Good luck!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Hey Gang,
    I too really appreciate all the input as well, I try to keep the stove unused as much as possible during the hot monthes. So your ideas will definitely help out.:wink: Have thought in the past of getting a wok (thank you Jamie O. for all the ideas! lol), also a George Foreman grill I see could be VERY handy to own, as it would cook nearly every thing we tend to grill, meats etc.

Far cooler than turning the oven on and heating the whole place up! :wink:

Thanks!:drinker:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    You can use the microwave to cook up some old-fashioned oats. I like to use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring up to do that so it doesn't spill over.
    ah-HAh! So that is the secret to it not spilling over! Well thank for that tidbit of info PJilly. Somedays mine does, sometimes not, nothing like rushing around in the morning only to find about a spoonful left in the container in the microwave to eat. gah! :huh:

Sometimes I"ve cooked it a bit less time and that's worked, tried the same thing the next time, :indifferent: ::deep sigh:: didn't work!

YAY for all the sharing that comes from the great Members here on MFP, always learning so much!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Becca:flowerforyou: