Experience w/ Debbie Meyer CONTAINERS-not bags?

Options
weaklink109
weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
Hello fellow MFP'rs. I am trying to decide whether or not to get a set of the Debbie Meyer (green) food storage containers that are on a special buy today on HSN. I live alone and I don't like having to hit the grocery store every 5 minutes for fresh veggies, and I am frugal (AKA a "cheapskate) so I HATE:grumble: to throw spoiled food away. It would also be nice to keep fresh strawberries longer than a couple of days.

I have heard the Debbie Meyer bags lost their effectiveness after a while, but I haven't heard anything one way or the other about the storage containers. Can anyone share their experience using the containers? Thanks.

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask about the bags, but Consumer Reports showed they were only effective for keeping bananas fresh longer. Everything else either lasted the same as it normally would, or decayed even faster. Haven't heard of the containers or know what their effectiveness is.
  • camelot
    camelot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have not tried them. I did try the bags and they were a waste of money. I live alone also, and what I have found that works the best for me is the containers that have the seal on top. I found mine at Ross. You just fill the container and close the lid and then hold the container and press the top in and let it go until it want press in any longer toward the bottom and the air will have escaped. This container really works. It is good for salad greens etc. When you are ready to eat some of them just flip the seal and if you need to store some of them again repeat the process. I hope I explained this where it made sense, and I hope it was helpful.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Thank you to both of you. I have also discovered that spinach and lettuce will keep longer in their bags if you squeeze all the air out of the bag and wrap it tightly in another bag.

If anyone has tried the DM containers, I would still love to hear from you!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I use the bags and they work for me.............I currently have romaine and ice berg lettuce I have had for over a month and they are still good...........
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Thanks, Lioness :)