Is ALL exercise created equal?!!

workoutqueen628
workoutqueen628 Posts: 220
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
This is something I have been wondering. Running for 40 mins. burns about 400 cals. If I walk for double that time I will burn the same amount of calories, but my heart rate does not go up as much. Will I still see the same results?

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Good question. While you burn the same calories during the exercise I'm not sure the 'result' is the same. Running is a high impact exercise which means it helps more to build muscle (and thus increase metabolism) and to improve bone density. That said, I think whichever exercise you are capable to do and enjoy doing is the right exercise to choose!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I'm not strying to be a smart *kitten*, but what kind of results are you looking for?

Fat loss, lower resting HR, greater fitness etc?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I am happy to say I have lost 38 pound walking my butt off. I was told by an orthopedic doctor, family practioner and my chiropractor that walking is easier on the body, and gives the same results.

Add to that some light arm weights (or heavier as I got more fit!) and you can raise that heart rate quite high!. Just by lifting your arms above your head you will increase your HR.

Have fun!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I'm not strying to be a smart *kitten*, but what kind of results are you looking for?

Fat loss, lower resting HR, greater fitness etc?

I have walked my weigh (lol) to lower fat, my RHR went from 77 to 60 and my fitness level has doubled..............just by fast walking 4 days a week. Oh.........but I do weight train also.
This discussion has been closed.