Seriously losing momentum...

Options
Hey guys,

I've lost around 9 pounds since I've started. Though, I think I'm back down to the 7 pound mark since I've been losing momentum. I just have been so stressed (and also just plain making excuses), that eating right has been far from my mind.

It's felt doable up till the past week or two. Now, I just feel like I want to eat unhealthy all the time again.

I had a tough week with a lot of emotional triggers and I gave myself permission to cheat a little that week. But I'm just afraid that it has spilled over into the next week, and the bad habits are just feeling natural again.

Any suggestions for getting back on track and conquering my low motivation???

-Danielle

P.S. I know that this takes commitment, so I'd appreciate if people kept their comments productive. Tough love has a place in the weight loss community. And I do need that to a degree. But I'm looking for people who can sympathize and strategize.

Replies

• Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, ask yourself? Do you REALLY want it?

Yes? Then all I can think of is that you seem to have an all or nothing mindset. Think lifestyle not 'diet'

Also, you said you had a crappy week, so now you have determined that you're an emotional eater. You'll have to figure out how to deal with that...everyone has their own tips and tricks...
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I had a tough week with a lot of emotional triggers and I gave myself permission to cheat a little that week. But I'm just afraid that it has spilled over into the next week, and the bad habits are just feeling natural again.

I think this is really important to recognize and face. You will always have emotional triggers, we all do. But comforting yourself with food is your sabotage. You have to find other ways to cope with stress. It will be uncomfortable for a while and you will want to turn back to your old friend Food. But you need to make new friends.
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Come on here, read the success stories, read how they are doing it, look at the reasons why you want to do this and remind yourself daily... If i don't come on here i feel like i can't do it, but once i start reading the success stories it all comes back to me and i remember why i want this so bad... Weight loss sucks, nobody said it was fun or easy, but just keep coming back here and remind yourself that you can do this.....

Good luck, and keep coming back!!!!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The good thing is you don't have to cut out the foods you LOVE that may not be so good for you. Just work them into your daily limit. Keep it in check and you will still see improvement.
    You gotta want it...that's all there is too it. It don't happen overnight, and it ain't easy. Everyone would be in shape if that were the case.
    Good luck
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    The only time you can do anything is RIGHT NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, not "when I get motivated", right now.

Don't think about how the hell you're going to stick to this in a week or month or year. Just worry about the next 'no' you're going to say to cake, ice-cream, buffet or booze.

The past is of no concern. The future is of no concern. The present is where you do things.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was down 75+ pounds at one point doing Weight Watchers before gaining 40 pounds back. I'm now down 50 pounds working towards my original 75 pounds lost. Sometimes it takes some of us 2, 3, or more times before it 'clicks' in and we want it. Just keep trying and don't give up!
  • Naomii101
    Naomii101 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    tell me about it! i was the same! but then i'd look at my old photos... man i looked obese assssss lol. but then i think of what i would look like and what i should do to get there (slim and fit LOL). i just go gym hard out do the classes cause they're fun, everyones there to lose weight. thats motivating for me.. maybe could be for you to? ..

just gotta get up and do it. just put your shoes, clothes etc walk out the door and go lol. honestly thats what i do i complain complain etc about nothing then after gym im like ahhhhhh lol.

try it? :)
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani

I know its hard, but try to start each day as a completely new day. Yesterday doesn't matter, tomorrow doesn't matter, only today matters. Try your hardest to do your very best just for today. If you have a bad meal/ snack don't throw the whole day away, do better from this second on.

As for the emotional eating (I have that problem too) keep plenty of healthy choices around and out where you can see them. Try to find something else to do instead of eating, even if its as silly as standing right there and doing a bunch of jumping jacks, grabbing a mirror and making funny faces at yourself or watching a few minutes of a stupidly funny movie. Try to find something else to focus on.

And most of all, message your MFP friends, vent, complain, and accept encouragement. Try blogging your frustrations. Sometimes just typing them out helps to relieve some of the stress.

Wishing you well,
    Terrie
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with you. I had some friends who were leaving this week to begin a 5 year mission in Africa. My wife and I had the honor of spending their last few hours in the states with them and taking them to the airport. I told them I would treat them to anything they wanted before they left. So late lunch was Five Guys burgers and fries. Then dessert was Dairy Queen waffle cone. Then at the airport it was a cafe mocha and chocolate chip cookie. That was Tuesday, I haven't gotten over it yet. My body is still craving junk.....I had been blown away by how I have reacted to that. It is really taking some willpower to get past it. Hang in there, you will get past it too!!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I find that by not labelling any food as bad or off limits then I don't have to "cheat" and risk feeling guilty or as if I've completely ruined my diet because I'm not dieting. I'm learning to eat in a way that is sustainable for me in the long run. It also helps to take each day as it comes. If I over eat one day I refuse to let it stop my progress the next. It's one day that wasn't where I wanted to be calorie wise. Never give up.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do know that I have to want it badly enough. And I think I've gotten to the point where I do. I also know that I have a hard time when food becomes everything I think about.

I know my husband (who is not trying to lose weight) gets very irritated about this, as well. He gets sick of hearing about protein this, calories that. I struggle with finding the balance between totally going overboard on my "lifestyle change" and completely throwing it out the window (treating it like a diet?).

I feel positive about today, though.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also Prattiger65, thanks for your input. I'm realizing that if I do go back to eating the junk, my body is going to want it more and more...and that's a vicious cycle indeed.