Bodymedia LINK - WoW! What a motivator! - My review

Options
124»

Replies

• KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The Core 2 is on my wish list... my Bodymedia Armband is my motivator! I LOVE to beat my previous records and it feels great to see my activity spiking. It keeps me going. I'm sure I could lose weight without it, but there is something so satisfying about seeing my stats. Linked up with Earndit and its a winning combination! So excited for it to come out and I can hear how it does!!! Maybe this can be my Christmas present :D
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My issue with BodyMedia is that you have to pay monthly for software.

My FitBit works WONDERFUL :) And I love it, and no monthly fee.
  • johnhubbs
    johnhubbs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Now 99lbs in about 6 months
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Now 99lbs in about 6 months

Congrats !!!

I have been able to much more easily adjust my maintenance with my Bodymedia device. I still love checking the info several times a day.

It truly is a great motivator.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It probably isn't the best device in the world for measuring individual workouts, but I believe it is the best device for measuring your TDEE. For me, $7 a month is a really good deal for what it does. I save lots of time not having to input my exercise time into MFP. It seems to be very accurate, and the reports you can pull are helpful in quickly evaluating your progress.
  • theojt
    theojt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is there something the Bodymedia LINK does that the fitbit doesn't? I am trying to figure out what would make it worth the money. Also, how close are the numbers from approximating exercise calories earned on MFP to those on the Bodymedia? Thanks.

Yes. The Fitbit is a pedometer that uses an accelerometer to measure steps and altitude (Fitbit One that is), the BMF Link has sensors that contact your skin to read skin temperature, galvanic skin response and heat flux in addition to those accelerometer capabilities. I chose it over the Fitbit One for that reason. I think they are basically comparable but the BMF definitely has more data available and theoretically, it should be more accurate data since it reads your skin parameters to determine calories burned. Rather than a built-in display, the BMF supports Bluetooth for remote display of relevant parameters on your iPhone or Android. This data can be uploaded to their website wirelessly or via connection to your PC.

As far as integration, both the Fitbit and the BMF can be integrated with MFP and other apps. And if you have either device, you should be integrating the apps to get the best of both worlds. I have the BMF Link, integrated with MyFitnessPal and both of those websites get my weight directly from a Withings Wi-Fi-enabled scale. I think the next real advance in any of these technologies will be the ability to include Heart Rate without a separate band/sensor. I know BMF will have some form of that in their next device but I doubt it will be measured from the same physical sensor.
  • dlbohl79
    dlbohl79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had the link for about a year and half. It's great. The new one comes out next month and is smaller and better accuracy. I'm going to get that one when it comes out.