Wine and Yoga - You got a better plan?

Options
Tonight I did yoga - I did my 'hard' dvd (which ha ha is beginner level but makes me sweat so I consider it 'hard' ) so I'm having a glass of wine. Because I like wine. and and I love a good beer. and chocolate - don't get me started!
I started getting serious about weight loss at the begining of this year, but focused for the first 3 months on getting honest about my eating habits and working to get them under some kind of control. What I've discoved is I like food that's not healthy. I like healthy food too - but I like things that are not. I like to read a book all day, curled up on the couch. I think exercise sucks. But then, I also think being fat sucks. So this April I've decided I'm going to live within my reality, I don't want to miss out on all the stuff I really like but I still need to be healthy. Hmm .
Balance - that's what I'm working for. I trust science, and I trust math. I have a spreadsheet to track calories and excersise (ha ha MFP just isn't enough! need more data! more graphs! look - a PIE chart! yum! - yikes sorry for digression)
Boil all the differnt methods down and it's a pretty simple equation, with a few subjective scalers. So - I'm going to trust the calorie deficit method now (has worked in the past, might change if this doesn't work) and I'm going to earn my stupid eating. So tonight I did yoga, and my motivation is that I was going to have some wine when it was done. Last Friday I really wanted some pizza, so my kid & I walked to the pizza place about 2 miles away for dinner. I'm working on balance between what I love and what I need to do. I think, for me, this kind of honesty (and balancing the equation) is a much more sustainable lifestyle change.
All this is a lead into me asking - what is everyone else's plan to deal with their own reality and who they are? I know the formula answers but was wondering what other (real) people are planning.

Replies

• AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to apply the phrase "If you want it, you'll have to earn it" to all my snacking.

I have a terrible habit of thinking, "I'm a bit hungry. I'll just have a biscuit". Two minutes later, I'm still hungry so I'll have another biscuit, or some cheesecake. I know those snacks are never going to fill me up. I could eat enough that I start to feel a bit sick but I'll be hungry again in an hour. Now I allow myself as much food as I like, so long as it's nutritious and filling. If I'm hungry it's apples, eggs, protein shake, proper food. If I'm not hungry enough to eat proper food then I'm probably not really hungry. If I want snacks, crisps, sweets, I have to earn them by moving around and burning off at least an equal amount of calories. As you said, balance. In theory at least, I don't always match it up perfectly.

I'm trying to recognise cravings as well because I know if I especially fancy something in particular I'll gorge on it beyond all reason. Similarly, I'm not allowed tira misu because I lose my mind and eat the lot even when it's not very good. Perhaps when I've been doing this for a year or two and built up a little more willpower I can treat myself but until then, it's off the menu.
  • boxsox2
    boxsox2 Posts: 9
    Options
    l like the phrase -"If you want it, you'll have to earn it" it's probably a good check on if you REALLY want something or just... ya know... kinda want it. I like your snacking plan. I think it is super important to be honest with yourself about what your weaknesses are, and also be honest about what you really are willing to change and what you aren't willing to change. A little self-analysis probably goes a long way, instead of depending on some nebulous idea of will power.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    IFFYM
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    karen-walker-6.jpg?w=500
  • Momrocs1102
    Momrocs1102 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im not very good at balance, finding my way i just finished day 2 of insanity. I have been trying to eat better, but giving my self little treats sometimes. I have found that i do better just not having snacks in the house rather if i really want it, ill leave home and go get it. Your plan is amazing.
  • colettedeann
    Options
    wine and yoga??

ummmmm - how about just the juice on offer here??

:)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I actually started champagne yoga at my gym. Every 6 wks we have a hot yoga session and then sip champagne afterwards for a cooldown, it is amazingly fun and so relaxing!
  • colettedeann
    Options
    realistically tho - i factor a glass or so of wine into my calories some days

and i try to make sure calories in < calories out
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros. Do my best to hit those protein and fat macros with quality foods, and then see if I still have splurge calories. I'll exercise extra to earn those splurge calories if I have to. I will never give up wine, beer, chocolate, or ice cream, so I'll do what it takes to be able to enjoy those things.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I actually started champagne yoga at my gym. Every 6 wks we have a hot yoga session and then sip champagne afterwards for a cooldown, it is amazingly fun and so relaxing!

I think I would pass out from this combination!
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    boxsox2 - I like your approach, maybe because it fits me too. Be honest about what you are eating and start moving, aka "earn it".
    Just the mentality of walking to and from the pizza parlor is a great start! I am a former athlete and so I think exercise has to be extreme or not at all. However at me fitness level and age, I need to just "do something" and work up to the extreme.
    Best of luck to you!! You have the right mindset. P.S. I also have spreadsheets on the side. Dork.
    :happy:
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Beer and pilates
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I miss her!!!