Any swimming tips?

Options
I went swimming for the first time in a really long time last night. I was terrible. It took me an hour to do 1km, or about 2 minutes per length of the 33m pool.

My technique is just awful. I swim breaststroke and I can feel it's all off - my kick on my right side is weak and I'm lopsided in the water. I think my neck is too high up, too, because it's really painful today.

I want to keep going but I'm not sure what to focus on. If I try to go with technique - kick harder, pull further - then I feel like I'm not going much faster and I have to stop for breath at the end of each length. If I do what I do now, I can at least swim continuously for an hour, but I'm really slow.

What should I do? Help!

Replies

• yoshna
    yoshna Posts: 69
    Options
    I have no advice to offer you I'm afraid, but interested in the responses as I'm keen to start swimming but haven't been in years!
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was just the same 2 weeks ago, but it was my left side that was weak, I tried to concentrate on my technique, not my speed. I have improved both in time and distance. I also bought myself a swimming float and do a few lengths with breastroke kick, not so good, and plain kicking to improve my leg strength, keep at it and it will get better!
  • _mrsgigi_
    _mrsgigi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    practice practice practice. thats the best way to get better.. theres really no secret to technique. you just have to work on it. over time you will get better. you already stated your weakness, so you know what areas you need to work on. also, another thing you could do to switch it up from time to time would be to try a diff stroke each lap. swim one lap 1 way, do a different lap on the way back, and so fourth. good luck. swimming is a great exercise.
  • sullycc
    sullycc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to be a swimmer, but I don't think I can describe how to do breaststroke on here. You need a visual aid. Have you considered getting a few lessons? Maybe have a quick search on the internet for the correct breaststroke technique. Once you have the technique correct it is sooo much easier and you wont get neck pain.

Sorry I can't be of any more help!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There are some really good videos on you tube teaching technique. The thing with breast stroke don't be afraid to Put your head into the water when you breath out. If you want to build up even leg strength it may be worth using a float so you can just concentrate on your leg kicks.
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sullycc about maybe getting some lessons or watching video tutorials on technique. My advice is to try focusing on just part of the stroke for now. Try using a kickboard and practicing the kick for breastroke, or mix it up and do freestyle (flutter), butterfly, or backstroke. Do this until you get the hang of things. It is a really great leg workout! Don't give up- keep practicing! It gets easier with time. PS- This is coming from someone who taught swim lessons for many years. Hope this helps. :)
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Once you've got your stroke technique a bit more refined (via video or live instructor) the next hurdle may be persistance. It can become rather tedious to just swim 1km without stopping, and then ???

If you want to give yourself more variety, and thereby increase the likelihood that you will keep heading for the pool regularly, it may help to have a plan of stroke, time and endurance exercises to complete. Where to come up with said plans? I found www.swimplan.com to be quite helpful in devising workouts that match my skill level and energy level. You might find that site useful as well.
  • ElimyW
    ElimyW Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello hello,

I'd really recommend looking at the swimfit website - loads of tips, videos and tutorials. I found it really useful and pretty inspiring! The following link is specifically looking at improving breaststroke, but you should totally check out the rest of the website - it's great :)

http://www.swimming.org/swimfit/health-breaststroke/

Good luck and have fun! It does get easier! :flowerforyou:
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Tip : Don't try and breathe under water : )
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of lessons a few years ago and something you should try to remember is that with better technique you will feel like you're going much, much slower. Don't rush it. Focus on your stroke and take your time. I'm sure you'll notice an increase in speed once you nail the posture and movements.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys - really helpful! The consensus seems to be to focus on technique and endurance/speed will follow, so I'll go for that. I did notice some people with pool floats last night, so might give that a go next week and focus on the legs for now as that's my worst area. I am a bit afraid of putting my head in the water but I clearly need to get over that! Maybe some goggles will help.

If I can avoid klutzy mistakes like accidentally pulling the lane divider thingy off the pool wall and having to wave the lifeguard over to come and fix it, that might help too...:blushing:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, get goggles and keep your head in the water for the glide phase. Practise legs and arms separately using a float. Count the number of strokes it takes you to get through a length and try and reduce that number through stronger kicks and strokes.

When I got back into swimming I had a few "improver's lessons" with a swimming teacher - made all the difference in the world and helped shake off some bad techniques I'd picked up,

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Lessons. Definitely. I used to only be able to do two lengths (100 metres) before having to stop to breathe, and I'd get a really sore neck too. My friend who's a swimmer gave me a few pointers one day and I promptly swam 14 lengths without stopping. Faster, easier and no sore neck, just like that. Try it, it's so much easier when you're doing it properly.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Swimming Teacher - if your leg kick is lopsided, do a few lengths and concentrate on keeping your hips level (hold a float in your hands if you have one, but it can be done without). With practice you will automatically

Your weak leg will get there eventually with practice (it's the same as other exercise).

If your neck is stiff, try putting your face in the water. It doesn't have to be all the way in, just enough to cover your mouth will ease the tension a bit (and make you flatter in the water which will improve your stroke too!)

If you're not sure on technique videos will help, but lessons will be better if they are available near you, a lot of pools will offer lessons to adults, I'm noticing more and more pools advertising these!

As for the distance/speed - this will come with practice, the same as every other exercise. Keep a log of how far you are swimming and you will soon notice the distances improve over time.

Lisa x