Metabolic Damage: Ate too little for too long (Need Help!)

Options
I've spent about 4 months using MFP, and in that time I've gone from weighing 277 to 222 pounds (55 lbs).

Unfortunately, I think I may have done this the bad way. I eat 80-100 grams of protein, 20-35 grams of fat and about 100 grams of carbs everyday. I also exercise frequently (both cardio and strength) But for the past month or so I haven't been taking in more than 800-1200 calories a day. Now I'm afraid I have messed things up- because the scale hasn't moved in about 10 days.

Yes I know, I should have avoided this from the get go, but I didn't.

My question now is- Is there a way for me to fix this? If i immediately increase my diet to 1500 calories a day, will I now start to gain weight in the form of fat? How can I get my metabolism back on track?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Replies

• AlbertJDaniel
    Options
    Great on the weight loss, If you start eating more just gradually increase it and keep exercising and I think you will be fine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO don't think you can screw up your metabolism with a month of eating at 1200 cals..

how many cals per day were you eating when losing?

what is your exercise regimen like?
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Up the cals sooner rather than later. You may see an increase until your body adjusts ( a good couple of weeks I understand).

I think you should possibly even be having more than 1500 a day. Check out the TDEE method and join the "Eat more to weigh less" Group as they will have tonnes of tips!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You are going to take a hit...do it now. Do a Reboot...check out the Group "Eat More To Weigh Less".
  • Upsidelife
    Upsidelife Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.

ndj1979, even before this past month I don't think I was getting much more than 1500 a week. My workouts consist of about 20 minutes of daily Cardio (elliptical) and 3-4 days of strength (about 45-60 mins focusing more on upper body ((lat pull downs, dumbbell bench press, rowing etc.) with some squats and pushups thrown in. A foot injury has had me off of too much lower body work

ms_leanne, thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into the group right away. And I honestly don't mind a few weeks of weight gain if that means long term improvement.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    No, you will not gain fat from an increase of calories but you will gain in water when your body begins to store the carbs. At 1500 calories, you should still be losing but at a slower pace. And nothing is wrong with your metabolism, no reason to freak out.
  • Upsidelife
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement ;) I definitely think I should be eating at least 1600 calories, and if I gain a little weight at first- so be it. Thanks to everyone that replied. Would it be ok to add these calories in the form of protein? Or should I be adding more carbs and fat as well?
    No, you will not gain fat from an increase of calories but you will gain in water when your body begins to store the carbs. At 1500 calories, you should still be losing but at a slower pace. And nothing is wrong with your metabolism, no reason to freak out.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    At least 1600? No, way more than that. You are a 24 year old male, you should be able to eat over 2000 easily and lose if you are lifting and doing all that exercise.. Don't sell your body short, you can look fabulous eating and lifting and enjoying life!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hugh?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.

ndj1979, even before this past month I don't think I was getting much more than 1500 a week. My workouts consist of about 20 minutes of daily Cardio (elliptical) and 3-4 days of strength (about 45-60 mins focusing more on upper body ((lat pull downs, dumbbell bench press, rowing etc.) with some squats and pushups thrown in. A foot injury has had me off of too much lower body work

ms_leanne, thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into the group right away. And I honestly don't mind a few weeks of weight gain if that means long term improvement.

Ok - I work out about 5 days a week ..compound lifts four days and one day of cardio ...

I would go with keeping your routine the same...but try adding in deadlifts, pull-ups/chin-ups, other compound lift moves...

I eat about 2500 calories a day and that is actually a 500 calorie deficit for me...

Like Woodsy said you should be able to eat 2000 and still lose..

Have you ever calculated your TDEE? Or are you doing eat back your exercise cals, aka MFP settings? I would suggest figuring out your daily burn is and deducting about 700 from that , which will give you 1 lb per week loss..

A good setting for your macros would be 30 fat 30 carbs 40 protein....

good luck to you ...
  • Upsidelife
    Options
    So much help guys, really thanks so much. Since I've been eating so little for so long- how do i go about increasing my caloric intake? surely not overnight- and when I do, I would expect to gain a lot of weight at first- right?

My TDEE is about 3400 and my 15% removed is about 2900. Yeesh.

I Got some work to do for sure...

Ok - I work out about 5 days a week ..compound lifts four days and one day of cardio ...

I would go with keeping your routine the same...but try adding in deadlifts, pull-ups/chin-ups, other compound lift moves...

I eat about 2500 calories a day and that is actually a 500 calorie deficit for me...

Have you ever calculated your TDEE? Or are you doing eat back your exercise cals, aka MFP settings? I would suggest figuring out your daily burn is and deducting about 700 from that , which will give you 1 lb per week loss..

good luck to you ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So much help guys, really thanks so much. Since I've been eating so little for so long- how do i go about increasing my caloric intake? surely not overnight- and when I do, I would expect to gain a lot of weight at first- right?

My TDEE is about 3400 and my 15% removed is about 2900. Yeesh.

I Got some work to do for sure...

good luck to you ...

You could do it graduallty...

if your TDEE is 3400 then I would deduct 700 and try to hit 2700 that will give you one pound per week weight loss...

I would say go from 1200 to 1500 and then give it two weeks then 1800 then 2100 etc..thats 300 a day ..i am sure you can find 300 extra calories a day ..hell, I know I could :)

feel free to add me if you like...