low sodium recipes

Options
catfulford
catfulford Posts: 62 Member
Hi i was wondering does anyone have any low sodium recipes. My hubby can only eat 1500 each day, so im coming up with different types of recipes. I did chicken strips with only 83 per serving but thats all ive been able to come up with lol thank you :)

Replies

• Aniski7
    Aniski7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my sodium intake low as well and I basically either leave out the salt altogether or if I add it, I reduce it to 1/4 of what the recipe suggests. I add herbs and I hardly notice the low salt anymore.

Mostly I bake the meat and vegetables with oregano and pepper. I mostly bake chicken and sweet potatoes. I know this is hardly recipes but I usually find something online or in a recipe book and adjust it accordingly. I just make sure I eat the right portions and don't overdo it.
  • DickLogue
    DickLogue Posts: 3
    Options
    Google can be your best friend for this kind of thing. There are a number of sites that feature low sodium recipes, although you do still need to be careful about how low they really are. Many of the general sites (Allrecipes, food.com, foodnetwork, etc.) have low sodium recipes separated out, but some are still relatively high in sodium and many seem to assume you are using things like no salt added canned beans and tomatoes and low sodium broth, but don't specifically say so. There are also sites that cater specifically to low sodium like my site at www.lowsodiumcooking.com, which contains recipes as well as tips on figuring this new lifestyle out.

**** Logue
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    1500 is really hard I had to do it for YEARS with my daughter. She was only 2 so it was not awful but trying to do if for myself not so much. Almost any recipe can be adapted. You can get no salt added tomato sauce but it is a few cents more. Not that big of a deal just a pet peeve of mine. Instead of canned beans use dry and soak them. LOTS of herbs. If it comes premade find something else I am not sure what you guys like to eat but the internet has some GREAT recipes.
    I do not think most people realize how much sodium they get in a day. It is really scary.
  • soccermom1013
    soccermom1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My younger 2 children were just diagnosed with poly-cystic kidney disease. They have to reduce their sodium as well to keep blood pressure low. We cleaned out our fridge, freezer and cupboards. No more processed foods. Including lunch meats, soups, hot pockets, etc. We read every label now. Eat lots of vegetables. Make an extra piece of chicken to use for lunch the next day. AllRecipes.com is a great recipe site. But with picky kids, those recipes don't always work.